Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana Police Have to Stop One Vehicle an Hour

http://www.news10.net/storyfull10.asp?id=11889

A new policy requires state troopers to stop at least one vehicle an hour, whether the driver has done anything wrong or not. But the driver doesn't have to be ticketed, so police officials say it's not a quota system.
    America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased. -PJ O'Rourke

Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Malcontent
    The news media couldn't be more ignorant at times. The primary job of most State Police is traffic enforcement. This is what they are being paid for.

If a Trooper/State Police officer isn't stopping at least one car an hour, he's not doing his job. I would venture to say he should be stopping at least 2-3 or more per hour if he is not making an arrest.

The whole statement about "even if the vehicle isn't doing anything wrong" is just assinine. No police department is legally allowed to stop a vehicle unless they have a legitimate reason to stop it. This new policy does not change that fact.

There are literally tens if not hundreds of violations going on in any given area all the time. It won't take much for them to find someone violating the law.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Agree completely.

A lot of state police departments have some sort of system where they either need so many "contacts" or "stops" etc. You will find this even with sheriff or city departments that have traffic units. If you are not writing, you shouldn't be on a traffic unit, etc. No surprises.

K9

Comment

I can't believe we could possibly expect them to do the job they are paid for.
        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

I don't know how things are where you live, but where I live a trooper could spend every waking moment of his shift stopping cars for speeding. Thats a good thing to do.

Comment

A few years ago I was on a few ride alongs and remember seeing a few State Troopers on calls we were on in the city. Guess they were close and was either bored or felt they should help.

I was always under the impression that they did more than just traffic things, which would include city and county issues.

Kind of hard to ticket someone if you stopped another vehicle with drugs or its fleeing from you.

There has to be exceptions, which im sure there is.

Comment

Thats nothing over in the UK our force along with many others operate performance indicators. Whereby officers have to fulfill a certain quota with reagrds to arrests, tickects, searches and intell per month. Doesn`t sound to bad until the bosses then turn round and say not all tickets and arrests count only ones for specified offences. So you end up banging your pipe out for nothing a lot of the time.

GMP the UK`s biggest joke.

Comment

when working overtime for OWI grants of Seatbelt grants (paid by the state or Fed), we are required to make 2.5 contacts per hour.

I have no problem with this... If you are going to be getting paid 1.5 times your rate, you should be making the stops.

Comment

I used to live in Montana

You are right, that is a very ignorant story from the media.

I used to live in Montana for 18 years and on some of the highways you will be lucky to see one vehicle in an hour. So I have to feel for the Troopers on those roads. Montana is the 4th largest state but its entire population is about 900,000 people. To make my point the largest town, Billings, only has about 100,000 people. This leaves lots of stretches of highway unused, especially in the north eastern quarter.

From the way the story was written it seems like it only meant to give bad publicity.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
                    when working overtime for OWI grants of Seatbelt grants (paid by the state or Fed), we are required to make 2.5 contacts per hour.

I have no problem with this... If you are going to be getting paid 1.5 times your rate, you should be making the stops.
                    I have mixxed emotions about these kinds of programs. In my County, we got these Grants which were underwritten by Insurance Companies, as yours may be, too. So we have Cops earning O.T. to write tickets to more people than they normally would, which statistically shows that driving in traffic is more hazardous in your area, which drives up the cost of personal Auto Insurance rates for everyone in the area including you and your fellow cops.

In my area the Grants are for not just seat belts or DUI, it covers most moving violations. So our cops who work those details can usually get away with stacking as many tickets on a driver as possible so they can go home earlier, but get paid for those 2.5 contacts per hour. A pretty sweet, but unethical deal, if you ask me. I've heard guys going home after working 3 hours and getting their "quota".

2.5 contacts x 20 tickets = 8 hours work x 1.5 O.T. hours = 12 hours pay.

I might also note that there were many times on these details that the guys would start stopping for 2 or 3 over the limit as opposed to 5-10, which I thought was some dirty pool, considering the way that some of those radar units were used and abused.

I never worked those details, although I know at least one guy that gave himself an Annual Bonus of 20G one year doing it... then had a fit when he had to pay Uncle Sam a couple of extra Grand than what he had deducted.

I told him to thank a Democrat.
                    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

When we work seat belt grant enforcement the suggested number of contacts is 4 an hour. This can be for any type of offense (s.b, speed, plates, equip. viol.. anything)

If you are driving around and looking at vehicles there is no reason to not get at LEAST 4 contacts in an hour. What I do with them is up to me.. Warning/ticket.. either or. If all you had to do was park on a highway or busy road & do radar writing 8 tickets in a shift should be noooooo problem at all.

Im not sure why that is newsworthy anyways. Its called doing your job. Its no secret that State Police are given the responsibility of traffic enforcement. What do you expect?
                      And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

stop one vehicle per hour

Ohio has a State Highway Patrol, if I wasn't handling an accident I had better be stopping traffic. One can't patrol all day and not see something and I don't mean arrest

Comment

Originally posted by trooperden
                          Ohio has a State Highway Patrol, if I wasn't handling an accident I had better be stopping traffic. One can't patrol all day and not see something and I don't mean arrest
                          You guys are working Pebble county(is that right?) pretty hard eh?

Comment

Originally posted by OnAJourney
                            A few years ago I was on a few ride alongs and remember seeing a few State Troopers on calls we were on in the city. Guess they were close and was either bored or felt they should help.

I was always under the impression that they did more than just traffic things, which would include city and county issues.

Kind of hard to ticket someone if you stopped another vehicle with drugs or its fleeing from you.

There has to be exceptions, which im sure there is.
                            Each state's agencies have diffrent missions... NYSP is full service... we answer every criminal complaint that the local PD's and SO's do and then some... most PD's and SO's don't have bomb techs, aviation units, computer forensics gurus etc. I'm sure NYSP isn't the only full service state police agency in the country.
                            sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper4985
                              Each state's agencies have diffrent missions... NYSP is full service... we answer every criminal complaint that the local PD's and SO's do and then some... most PD's and SO's don't have bomb techs, aviation units, computer forensics gurus etc. I'm sure NYSP isn't the only full service state police agency in the country.
                              You can usually tell the difference. "State police" do what you're describing, whereas "highway patrol" agencies do as you think they would.

No specifics, obviously, but what area of NY do you work in?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6239 users online. 314 members and 5925 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X