This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STOLEN CARS ::: A Pain In Our Rears.

It is true thousands of cars are stolen every year, The majority because somebody left the car running, the keys in the car or parked in the wrong place. Not many are stolen by professional car thieves.

Most are recovered after a few days with a few hundred dollars in damage and are repaired and returned to the owner. Most insurance companies won't pay off on a stolen car for a month or two because they know this.

Here is the problem. It is a real pain to police to have to try to pull over a stolen car. It can cause a driver to panic and flee. Car thieves are not the brightest bulbs in the chandilier.

This can cause injury or death and at times police officers also get killed.
    So that is why if a stolen car is spotted most agencies will follow at a distance and let the car stop or wait till enough units can parall the car and cut it off so there is no chase and nobody gets hurt.

A car is property not life and it's not worth risking injury or life over.Following a stolen car is not a good idea since it can also cause panic or could cause a violant cnfrontation that could also get somebody shot. Gang members prefer to use stolen cars in driveby's and to run drugs with. If they get caught with a load of dope in a stolen car they do not loose their personal ride to confiscation.

If a thief is caught they do maybe six minth for reciving stolen property since teh defense will say you can't prove the guy actually stole the car just because he was driving it. It takes 5 or 6 car thefts to get a guy 2 or 3 years.

So can you see the insanity of thinking it is so important to follow or chase car thief for basically to recover a piece of property that can be replaced?

I agree 100%

Unless you have reason to believe that someone is being kidnapped or the guy in the car is going to go kill somoene, why bother.

If the road conditions are perfect I think that an attempt to show be made, but as soon as the guy attempts to evade -terminate. It's only property, and if it's used in a B&E, again it's only property.

I do think the courts, especially here in Canada need to start addressing the problem and start sentencing the guys harshly and advertise it.

If a toad gets caught in a bait car it's a min 10 years and not time off. After the first couple guys get done word will get out.

Comment

Bodie,

Why dont you just lobby to have all crimes removed from the books. Then you wont have to do any work at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
        Bodie,

Why dont you just lobby to have all crimes removed from the books. Then you wont have to do any work at all.
        Then the risk of officers getting hurt or killed will go down too! Then we can just hang out at the coffee shop all day.
        Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Yep, just take all property crimes off the books. The crooks would really have a free ride then.

Comment

Switek

I take you are one of those guys who gets off on chasing a stolen car "property crime" and not caring if it crashes and hurts or kills an innocent person or worse yet an officer.
            Not much sense in all of that.

Nobody gets locked up for a stolen car not at any sentence length that makes any difference. Nobody cares if a car gets stolen only the insurance companies so why should police officers risk the safety and lives of themselves and civilians that migh get caught up in the pursuit agin of "personal property" that can be replaced with money.

Lives and shattered crippled bodies can't be fixed the way a car can be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
              Unless you have reason to believe that someone is being kidnapped or the guy in the car is going to go kill somoene, why bother.
              I'll take "Because to protect people's life and property is our job" for a thousand, Alex.
              You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                I take you are one of those guys who gets off on chasing a stolen car "property crime" and not caring if it crashes and hurts or kills an innocent person or worse yet an officer.

Your assuming the person runs. Our agency requires us to make a felony stop on a stolen vehicle. If the driver runs, then we go to our pursuit policy, and that's another topic.

I'm not sure why you posted this thread. But okay, if that's how you want to play ball and justify how you do business fine. But don't go criticizing how other's do their jobs.

I get paid to do a job. It's that simple.
                You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

It seems that most of the time the "stolen" starts off as a "rent-a-rock ride" then when the owner gets down from thier high, they want the car back.

I would say that 80% of the stolen vehicle reports I take are like this. Waste of time.

Comment

Bodie still here?

I didn't think you could leave this place. It is where you vent and pitch your btch. So much for what someone says meaning anything.

I do agree that it is best to take a tactical approach and try to avert a pursuit before it happens with additional units and timing/location of attempted stop. However, I also agree that it is part of the job to do what is required of you. Don't like it quit! And not like you quit O.com.
                    " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie

Nobody gets locked up for a stolen car not at any sentence length that makes any difference. Nobody cares if a car gets stolen only the insurance companies so why should police officers risk the safety and lives of themselves and civilians that migh get caught up in the pursuit agin of "personal property" that can be replaced with money.

Lives and shattered crippled bodies can't be fixed the way a car can be replaced.
                      Not hardly Bodie. I just dont care to surrender society to the criminals. I say hold the criminals accountable, not the cops. It sickens me to see cops acting as apologists for criminal behavior. That is the kind of talk the crooks savor. I say put some teeth in the law for stealing a car & or running from the cops. Bodie, with all this nonsense you are talking I'm starting to think you have turned liberal. Did you go out & join the ACLU behind my back?

I think if crooks knew that law enforcement was going to do everything possible to stop them vs just pulling off & heading to the nearest coffee shop, in the long run there would be far fewer chases.
                      Last edited by Stan Switek; 07-17-2005, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
                        I'll take "Because to protect people's life and property is our job" for a thousand, Alex.
                        I agree 100% there brother. Yes, pursuits are dangerous & we do have to use good judgement. We can't simply turn a blind eye to criminals. That sends the wrong message, encourages even more to run thus endangering even more peple.

Comment

This was posted by L-1 on another thread a few days ago: About 10 years ago the California Highway Patrol published a study on pursuits titled, "An Evaluation of Risk". I used to have a copy but may have tossed it out. It quantified the risks to the public created by pursuits (an innocent citizen is four times more likely to be hit by lightening than be kiled in a pursuit). It also tracked pursuits that were terminated where the suspect or vehicle could later be identified, and quantified the risk created to the public by letting the bad guy go. In the long run, the study determined that terminating pursuits often created a greater risk to the public than what would result if you continued them.
                          Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                            I agree 100% there brother. Yes, pursuits are dangerous & we do have to use good judgement. We can't simply turn a blind eye to criminals. That sends the wrong message, encourages even more to run thus endangering even more peple.

Trust me guys, it's not that I don't want to pursue a stolen or haven't pursued a stolen. I chased one two months ago. I chased it for about a mile on a highway that cut right throught the city, but as soon as I could see the tail lights of some traffic up ahead I shut her down.

I am one of the "go too" guys on our watch. I am the first one to back someone up and the first one to vollunteer for a ****ty file. I also on average take the most files per day.

All of us become cops to catch bad guys, and yes it sucks occassionally letting one go. And none of us like to quit, I'll be the first to admit that I hate quiting.

The way I see it though, is that we are here to save lives, then we save property. And if I ever have to do an NOK to some poor family because of a pursuit I didn't terminate, it will be the worst days of my career.

I ask you this, how ****ed off would you be if some cop knocked on your door and told you are wife or child was dead because a stolen car, would it's value or what it was being used for matter?

So, do any of you guys have children? Please tell me if you think your child's life it worth the capture of a car thief. Please tell me, I really want to know.

Comment

CST,

I understand what you are saying but I'd blame the crook, not the cop who was just doing his job. I worked air support for many years. I was over many a pursuit that was called off. Not once did the crooks ever slow down after the officers broke it of. NEVER. They continued on driving like crazy till they crashed or bailed on foot. The answer is tough laws, good tactics & the crooks knowing that there is no hope of escape by running. Why do so many crooks run for it now? Because they know there is a good chance the cops will break it off if they drive crazy enough. We are sending them the wrong message.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6501 users online. 362 members and 6139 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X