This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found/followed a stolen vehicle

At around 0400 this morning I was patrolling a couple of sites (I do security patrol around a city in a marked car) and on my scanner I heard a call of a stolen red Honda Prelude. According to where the dispatcher said it should be I wasn't anywhere near it, so I just listened to all the officers on the radio blaze over to that area. I'm driving down a deserted street when I see a small red car drive past me going the opposite direction. I heard the license plate dispatched and had it in my mind, but I didn't catch the plate number on the vehicle that went past. I thought, "Hmmm, that's a long ways from where it should be, but I wonder if that was it." So I wait for it to go around a corner out of site, I make a U-Turn, get up to a reasonable following distance and see that it's NOT the car. "Oh well," I say to myself. So I do another U-Turn and head back in my original direction. I drive about half a mile and see another oncoming small red car. This time I was ready to check the plate. As it goes past, sure enough, it was the car! The car turned left off of the street I was on, so I took a right and followed it. I wasn't directly behind it, I was a block north of it but could still see it. I pull out my phone, dial 911 and get ahold of the county/city dispatchers. I get behind the car, again, from a reasonable distance, and start telling the dispatcher that I'm behind the car, where we are, where we're headed, number of occupants, etc. The stolen didn't seem to pay much mind to me and just drove the speed limit. I follow it for about another mile and then in the distance in my rearview mirror I see about four Crown Vics gaining on us FAST. "Okay, there are a few units coming up behind me! They're on him," I tell the dispatcher. So I pull off to the side and watch all the cops fly by as they fire up their lights and sirens. Well, needless to say the stupid car thief TAKES OFF! I'm listening as the officers are advising dispatch of their speeds and amount of traffic (80 mph and no traffic). So this guy is flying down a road at 80 mph and I can tell you, this road has some curves that I wouldn't advise taking at over 40 mph. So after only a couple minutes of their pursuit, the moron takes a curve too fast and flips his car, lands in the ditch upside down. The rear passenger was responsive, driver was messed up but conscious, and the front passenger was not responsive. They called for medical aid to come Code 3, these idiots were in pretty bad shape I guess. They all ended up living, though I don't know that their conditions are right now.

Anyway, just a bit of fun I had last night. Can you believe it?--a rent-a-cop followed a stolen car in a patrol vehicle that has a light bar and a siren and he didn't even try to pull him over. Surprised? I kept a level head! Got a phone call from the lead pursuit officer after the whole deal was said and done, he got my info and even told me I did a great job.

Unfortunate for the suspects and the owner of the car, but at least they didn't get away and no officers were harmed in the pursuit/arrest.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Good job man!

Comment

Originally posted by Puget Sound
      At around 0400 this morning I was patrolling a couple of sites (I do security patrol around a city in a marked car) and on my scanner I heard a call of a stolen red Honda Prelude. According to where the dispatcher said it should be I wasn't anywhere near it, so I just listened to all the officers on the radio blaze over to that area. I'm driving down a deserted street when I see a small red car drive past me going the opposite direction. I heard the license plate dispatched and had it in my mind, but I didn't catch the plate number on the vehicle that went past. I thought, "Hmmm, that's a long ways from where it should be, but I wonder if that was it." So I wait for it to go around a corner out of site, I make a U-Turn, get up to a reasonable following distance and see that it's NOT the car. "Oh well," I say to myself. So I do another U-Turn and head back in my original direction. I drive about half a mile and see another oncoming small red car. This time I was ready to check the plate. As it goes past, sure enough, it was the car! The car turned left off of the street I was on, so I took a right and followed it. I wasn't directly behind it, I was a block north of it but could still see it. I pull out my phone, dial 911 and get ahold of the county/city dispatchers. I get behind the car, again, from a reasonable distance, and start telling the dispatcher that I'm behind the car, where we are, where we're headed, number of occupants, etc. The stolen didn't seem to pay much mind to me and just drove the speed limit. I follow it for about another mile and then in the distance in my rearview mirror I see about four Crown Vics gaining on us FAST. "Okay, there are a few units coming up behind me! They're on him," I tell the dispatcher. So I pull off to the side and watch all the cops fly by as they fire up their lights and sirens. Well, needless to say the stupid car thief TAKES OFF! I'm listening as the officers are advising dispatch of their speeds and amount of traffic (80 mph and no traffic). So this guy is flying down a road at 80 mph and I can tell you, this road has some curves that I wouldn't advise taking at over 40 mph. So after only a couple minutes of their pursuit, the moron takes a curve too fast and flips his car, lands in the ditch upside down. The rear passenger was responsive, driver was messed up but conscious, and the front passenger was not responsive. They called for medical aid to come Code 3, these idiots were in pretty bad shape I guess. They all ended up living, though I don't know that their conditions are right now.

Anyway, just a bit of fun I had last night. Can you believe it?--a rent-a-cop followed a stolen car in a patrol vehicle that has a light bar and a siren and he didn't even try to pull him over. Surprised? I kept a level head! Got a phone call from the lead pursuit officer after the whole deal was said and done, he got my info and even told me I did a great job.

Unfortunate for the suspects and the owner of the car, but at least they didn't get away and no officers were harmed in the pursuit/arrest.
      First of all, let me say that I am not anti-security when I post this.

Second of all, thank you for calling in the stolen car to the police.

HOWEVER, yes, there is a but....

1. You were scanning police calls on a scanner. As a result, you were watching for that stolen car.

2. You got involved in an incident that didn't directly involve you as a result of listening to a police scanner.

3. You followed a felony perp in a vehicle that was not related to your job as a security guard.

As an officer, I have a huge problem with this. I don't mind people listening to scanners. However, they SHOULD NEVER get involved with a call they hear on the police scanner.
      Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
        First of all, let me say that I am not anti-security when I post this.

Second of all, thank you for calling in the stolen car to the police.

HOWEVER, yes, there is a but....

1. You were scanning police calls on a scanner. As a result, you were watching for that stolen car.

2. You got involved in an incident that didn't directly involve you as a result of listening to a police scanner.

3. You followed a felony perp in a vehicle that was not related to your job as a security guard.

As an officer, I have a huge problem with this. I don't mind people listening to scanners. However, they SHOULD NEVER get involved with a call they hear on the police scanner.
        That's definitely a reasonable opinion.

I should clear up, I have never ever gone to a call I heard on a scanner. This was just a right (or wrong) place at the right (or wrong) time type of thing. In fact, just from what I have read on this forum, I feel like a jackass whenever I drive by any police activity while I'm on duty because I worry that they might think I was actually seeking it out. I do my absolute damndest to stay out of the way of the police.

I was driving on a deserted street that was supposedly not anywhere near where the stolen vehicle was. The first vehicle I checked was on a whim--the descriptions were almost identical, and I admit, I was curious. After I checked that first car, I had absolutely NO INTENTION of looking for the stolen vehicle. I wasn't searching the neighborhood. To the point where I actually saw the stolen, it all took place on ONE city street. The only reason I noticed the plate on the car approaching me was because:

1) It was 4:00 a.m. and there was NO ONE out on the street.
        2) I could see from a distance that it was a small red car and so obviously the stolen was in my mind.
        3) We drove right past each other. There was no aggression on my part in order to see what the license plate was. I couldn't help but see it. It was right damn there.

Further, the manner in which I followed this stolen vehicle was all done so as per posts from police officers on this forum. The closest I was to them was when we crossed paths going in the opposite direction, which was a total shock to me that that even happened. After I actually started paralleling them and called 911 I don't think they ever even noticed me. They certainly didn't seem to be in a hurry to get out of sight anyway, as I said, they were driving the speed limit. And when I was actually directly behind them, it was done so from at least 100 to 150 yards.

Also as I said, if this were a "warmer/colder" game, the police were as frigid as an ice cube, they weren't anywhere near the vehicle, and without my vigilance there's a decent chance it would have gotten away.

I observed and reported--the number one role of a security guard.
        Last edited by Puget Sound; 07-16-2005, 11:45 AM.

Comment

He didnt get directly involved. He followed at a safe distance on a road he had every legal right to be on & made a phone call. He got out of the way when the cops arrived. I call that being a good citizen
          Last edited by Stan Switek; 07-16-2005, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
            He didnt get directly involved. He followed at a safe distance on a road he hed every legal right to be on & made a phone call. He got out of the way when the cops arrived. I call that being a good citizen

I agree.

(10 char min)
            Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

He didnt get directly involved. He followed at a safe distance on a road he had every legal right to be on & made a phone call. He got out of the way when the cops arrived. I call that being a good citizen
              Yes he did, the second he made that U-turn to follow he made himself directly involved.

Im not trying to knock him, as a person who has had a vehical stolen, Id like to congradulate him on the good job.

Comment

He didn't get directly involved. He followed at a safe distance on a road he had every legal right to be on & made a phone call. He got out of the way when the cops arrived. I call that being a good citizen

You did the right thing.

Its not any different then hearing an Amber Alert on the radio, and calling that in along with following them til the cops get there.

(I realize this was a scanner, but it was per lucky.)

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the stolen vehicle was recovered.

However:

He was *looking* for this vehicle as a result of hearing a police call from a scanner. This is a big no-no to me regardless of the results.

If he didn't have the scanner, he would have never known about the vehicle. He would have never felt compelled to turn around and check on the first vehicle. He would have never followed the second vehicle.

Secondly, he said he was in a marked security vehicle with lights. Therefore, the bad guy knew who he was as soon as they passed each other. Don't think that the bad guy did not realize he was being followed. It could have turned out to be a real nasty situation.

Bottom line is this all started as the result of an intercepted police lookout on a scanner. It is wrong for anyone to get involved with calls they hear on a police scanner. In this case, all turned out well but it could have potentially been different.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. John Doe
                    You did the right thing.

Its not any different then hearing an Amber Alert on the radio, and calling that in along with following them til the cops get there.

It is different. He was in a marked security vehicle with lights. This could have potentially caused direct conflict with the perp causing him to be in a situation he did not want to be in.

If he was in a private vehicle and followed an amber alert, the person would be none the wiser.

Comment

That's definitely a reasonable opinion.

I should clear up, I have never ever gone to a call I heard on a scanner. This was just a right (or wrong) place at the right (or wrong) time type of thing. In fact, just from what I have read on this forum, I feel like a jackass whenever I drive by any police activity while I'm on duty because I worry that they might think I was actually seeking it out. I do my absolute damndest to stay out of the way of the police.

I was driving on a deserted street that was supposedly not anywhere near where the stolen vehicle was. The first vehicle I checked was on a whim--the descriptions were almost identical, and I admit, I was curious. After I checked that first car, I had absolutely NO INTENTION of looking for the stolen vehicle. I wasn't searching the neighborhood. To the point where I actually saw the stolen, it all took place on ONE city street. The only reason I noticed the plate on the car approaching me was because:

1) It was 4:00 a.m. and there was NO ONE out on the street.
                      2) I could see from a distance that it was a small red car and so obviously the stolen was in my mind.
                      3) We drove right past each other. There was no aggression on my part in order to see what the license plate was. I couldn't help but see it. It was right damn there.

Further, the manner in which I followed this stolen vehicle was all done so as per posts from police officers on this forum. The closest I was to them was when we crossed paths going in the opposite direction, which was a total shock to me that that even happened. After I actually started paralleling them and called 911 I don't think they ever even noticed me. They certainly didn't seem to be in a hurry to get out of sight anyway, as I said, they were driving the speed limit. And when I was actually directly behind them, it was done so from at least 100 to 150 yards.

Also as I said, if this were a "warmer/colder" game, the police were as frigid as an ice cube, they weren't anywhere near the vehicle, and without my vigilance there's a decent chance it would have gotten away.

I observed and reported--the number one role of a security guard.
                      Puget, as I've said, I am not anti-security and don't want to come across that way.

I am also just one cop with one opinion. My opinion is just that - it may be right, wrong, or somewhere in between.

I just do not like people getting involved in calls that they have intercepted on a police scanner. No matter what the intentions are, I just don't think it is right.

As you can see, you have the support of other people here. If you feel what you did was right, that is all that matters. You definitely didn't do anything criminal. It was also good that the vehicle was recovered. I'm also glad that you weren't hurt or injured in the process.

Comment

Unfortunate for the suspects .
                        Too bad......callled "dumb people do dumb things", Oh well is my attitude...sometimes the bad guys get their richly deserved end.
                        Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Well I am anti-security because most security officers want to be the police, without the proper training or experience. They end causing me more trouble than good. Example 1 is Puget Sound's thread. He is out with a police scanner 4 o'clock in the morning breaking the law, i.e. u-turns, looking for stolen cars. Once he finds it he follows it, also very dangerous.

Too me there is a differnece between a civilian who witnesses a crime and assists and a wanna-be who listens to a police scanner and interferes. And dont say he didnt interfere because obviously he stopped up the road and got into the middle of the accident which of course he was just in the way, what can he do too help?

And if you still want to argue hes not a wanna-be this will shut you up..

"Can you believe it?--a rent-a-cop followed a stolen car in a patrol vehicle that has a light bar and a siren and he didn't even try to pull him over."

"I do security patrol around a city in a marked car"

wow, slow down little buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. John Doe
                            You did the right thing.

For the sake of argument, an Amber Alert is a lot different. An Ambert Alert involves a child's life. Vehicle theft is only a property crime.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayW4442
                              Well I am anti-security because most security officers want to be the police, without the proper training or experience. They end causing me more trouble than good. Example 1 is Puget Sound's thread. He is out with a police scanner 4 o'clock in the morning breaking the law, i.e. u-turns, looking for stolen cars. Once he finds it he follows it, also very dangerous.

Too me there is a differnece between a civilian who witnesses a crime and assists and a wanna-be who listens to a police scanner and interferes. And dont say he didnt interfere because obviously he stopped up the road and got into the middle of the accident which of course he was just in the way, what can he do too help?

And if you still want to argue hes not a wanna-be this will shut you up..

"Can you believe it?--a rent-a-cop followed a stolen car in a patrol vehicle that has a light bar and a siren and he didn't even try to pull him over."

"I do security patrol around a city in a marked car"

wow, slow down little buddy!
                              No, you are completely wrong. I did NOT go to where the vehicle crashed. I knew the vehicle crashed because, DUH!!!, the officers said so on the radio! They were also advising dispatchers of the condition of the driver/passengers so that medical aid could be properly advised of what they were coming to. As I have said before, I do whatever I can to stay out of the way of the police. Personally, I know I did the right thing because the officer that called me said these exact words after we got the business side of it out of the way, "Great job, you did the right thing." Bottom line: shove it.

I also should clarify, the second u-turn, I actually pulled into a parking lot and turned around. The first u-turn was actually an illegal u-turn. Oh dear! Lock me up! Take me away!

And I don't understand how you say my driving a patrol vehicle with a light bar and a siren makes me a wanna-be. That's the vehicle the company provides me with. I don't exactly have a choice. I wasn't trolling around on my own time in an old CVPI that I rigged up with lights and whatnot. I was WORKING.

My "can you believe it" comment was sarcasm and was intended to be a joke to those who think all security officers are total wanna-bes who respond to police calls or chase down a stolen vehicle with their lights and sirens on.

Obviously you've had bad experiences with security guards. I'm sorry. There are those out there who give the rest of us a bad name. Trust me, I've met dumb security guards, I am not one of them. I observe and report. I don't get in foot chases, tackle people, taser them without provocation, or beat them with a stick for looking at me funny. I don't try to take a gun into court and I don't handcuff myself (unless it's for recreation ).

Like I said, I really do stay out of the way of the police. Here is an example where having my scanner helped me a lot: Police were looking for a perp with a gun, he was thought to be in about a 4 block by 4 block area in the city. One of the sites I had to make a hit on was inside this area. Because I know they had it cordoned off, I didn't try to go over there and get inside or make an *** of myself when I show up at a roadblock scratching my head.

Originally posted by 6233108
                              Too bad......callled "dumb people do dumb things", Oh well is my attitude...sometimes the bad guys get their richly deserved end.
                              I was just trying to sound like a nice guy.

Puget, as I've said, I am not anti-security and don't want to come across that way.

I am also just one cop with one opinion. My opinion is just that - it may be right, wrong, or somewhere in between.

I just do not like people getting involved in calls that they have intercepted on a police scanner. No matter what the intentions are, I just don't think it is right.

As you can see, you have the support of other people here. If you feel what you did was right, that is all that matters. You definitely didn't do anything criminal. It was also good that the vehicle was recovered. I'm also glad that you weren't hurt or injured in the process.
                              I definitely do respect your opinion and understand where you're coming from. No hard feelings, trust me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4557 users online. 251 members and 4306 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X