Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toni_tk
    replied
    My father would've taken my DL away and shredded it.

Leave a comment:

• Trooper4985
    replied
    There is a huge diffrence in what happened to us as kids (I'm 31) and what happens to kids these days. Who here got a "Time Out" when they screwed up and who got the belt or dad's hand that reddened your butt so much that you couldn't sit for an hour or so? I would never think about talking to LE the way 90% of the kids I deal with today do. Maybe it's because I live and work in one of the nations most liberal states but I can't believe it's only parents in NY that suck at teaching respect and disciplining their children. I have grown to expect the "Not my kid" reply whenever I call a parent of a juvenile that has screwed up no matter what has happened.

Leave a comment:

• CorpRaid3r
    replied
    Have to say that system has to have a positive effect on teens.....If my dad got a call from a police officer saying we stopped your son, he might get me a lawyer later, but that wouldnt make the *** whooping he gave me feel any better. I learned very quickly from tickets I have gotten, put it that way.

Leave a comment:

• TheQueen
    replied
    Originally posted by MemphisPD
    The kids I catch out at night in stolen cars or committing burglary, it wouldn't do any good to call their parents, b/c the parents do not care at all.
    I had the fear of God in my parents! I was NEVER stopped/ticketed when I was in their cars. Good Lord I would have been shot! I guess that is why I was married at 18 and didn't get a ticket until I was 27!

I agree with, depending on the citation, etc. to call mom and dad, I guess if they are idiots then the juvie gets the max!

Leave a comment:

• badger
    replied
    For excessive speed (+20), careless driving, or sliding fine offenses, I will call the parents most of the time. If it is a lesser offense and it is mom and dad's car I may call depending on the Juvy's attitude. I called the parents of an old enough to know better living at home when I stopped him for 100+ in a 50 in their company car. I learned that his age was not too old to get in serious trouble with the folks! Took his keys to the car and the house, so he has to make sure that one of his parents is home when he leaves and comes back and has to get a ride to work from one of them or his younger brother THAT is justice! He still got a reckless and speeding citation that parents refused to help him with. $400+ and loss of license. Oh, yeah...it was in the middle of holiday traffic and the only way I caught up to him is that he pulled into a business 3/4 mile from where I clocked him at.
    Last edited by badger; 07-17-2005, 11:39 PM. Reason: Changed some of the details to protect the guilty

Leave a comment:

• MPD-A9
    replied
    I've done it a few times. Kids get scared to death when you ask for their dads name and his number. I have encountered a few parents that coul;d care less. Stopped one for speeding, and had a small bud. His mom could care less. The bad thing is is that juvy court does the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• Trooper4985
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcontent
    http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/templates/?a=116467

Now this is being proactive, without arresting anyone. This is a good idea.
    I have much better things to do with my time that try to be every kid I stop's parents. I don't get paid enough money to be someone parents. 90% of the time... if the kid is a screw up... they are only following suit from the parents anyway.

Leave a comment:

• 7mmMag
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcontent
    7mm-Is it worth the time in your opinion?
    It really depends. As I stated above, sometimes the parents just get ****ed, and blame you anyways. However, I have talked to some honestly good parents who really cared, and sounded like they would handle junior with a little punishment of their own.

Worth my time or no, the Chief says it will be done, so, its done.

Leave a comment:

• pawncop
    Guest replied
    Sounds like a really good program. Can anyone advise what problems have been encountered, other than parents being ticked?

Leave a comment:

• MemphisPD
    replied
    The kids I catch out at night in stolen cars or committing burglary, it wouldn't do any good to call their parents, b/c the parents do not care at all.

Leave a comment:

• webjeep
    replied
    I hate having to go to juvenile court especially for traffic tickets so I always call the parents and base my course of action on their response.

If I think the kid is going to get an *** whooping when they get home, then my job is done.

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    replied
    It's a good policy. I do it with underage drinkers.

Leave a comment:

• Malcontent
    replied
    7mm-Is it worth the time in your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• 7mmMag
    replied
    We already do this. Most of the time, the parents talk to junior, then call the chief to complain about how the officer talked, dealt, handled, blah blah blah blah their little precious baby.

Leave a comment:

• GrayW4442
    replied
    About once a month a get this same lady who gets mad at her son and kicks him out the house. Then she calls us over there to file a runaway report. Hes 17 now I cant wait until hes 18

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3701 users online. 246 members and 3455 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X