Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police to call parents to curb teen traffic deaths

http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/templates/?a=116467

Now this is being proactive, without arresting anyone. This is a good idea.

In an unprecedented show of solidarity, dozens of law enforcement officers gathered Wednesday afternoon in Augusta for the kick-off of SAFEGuard, a statewide program that notifies parents when their teens have been stopped for traffic infractions.

The slogan of the new effort is: "Your parents will be the first to know."

"I just stopped your daughter for speeding, and, as a parent, I thought you would like to know" is one scenario Nichols suggested. He said any teenage passengers in an offending vehicle might have calls made home as well.
    America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased. -PJ O'Rourke

Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

wow, that's good. My parents rarely knew about my speeding tickets
    Of course, that may work in Maine, but it would guarantee a domestic a few minutes later or a runaway here in Memphis. lol

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisPD
      wow, that's good. My parents rarely knew about my speeding tickets
      Of course, that may work in Maine, but it would guarantee a domestic a few minutes later or a runaway here in Memphis. lol
      Maryland State Police have been doing this quite a while now, about 2 years. Works really well. The dispatcher calls mom/dad and tells them "Your son/daughter has been stopped by a Trooper on (road), and is being issued a citation for....."
      Best Regards,
      Zebra 305
      "Shots fired, shots fired..get me some goddam cars up here now!"
      Typical Henry Sector PG County radio traffic, circa 1996.

Comment

About once a month a get this same lady who gets mad at her son and kicks him out the house. Then she calls us over there to file a runaway report. Hes 17 now I cant wait until hes 18

Comment

We already do this. Most of the time, the parents talk to junior, then call the chief to complain about how the officer talked, dealt, handled, blah blah blah blah their little precious baby.
          "I only had a couple!"

Comment

7mm-Is it worth the time in your opinion?
            America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased. -PJ O'Rourke

Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It's a good policy. I do it with underage drinkers.
              The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
              Twitter Facebook

Comment

I hate having to go to juvenile court especially for traffic tickets so I always call the parents and base my course of action on their response.

If I think the kid is going to get an *** whooping when they get home, then my job is done.
                "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

The kids I catch out at night in stolen cars or committing burglary, it wouldn't do any good to call their parents, b/c the parents do not care at all.

Comment

Sounds like a really good program. Can anyone advise what problems have been encountered, other than parents being ticked?

Comment

Originally posted by Malcontent
                      7mm-Is it worth the time in your opinion?
                      It really depends. As I stated above, sometimes the parents just get ****ed, and blame you anyways. However, I have talked to some honestly good parents who really cared, and sounded like they would handle junior with a little punishment of their own.

Worth my time or no, the Chief says it will be done, so, its done.
                      "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malcontent
                        http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/templates/?a=116467

Now this is being proactive, without arresting anyone. This is a good idea.
                        I have much better things to do with my time that try to be every kid I stop's parents. I don't get paid enough money to be someone parents. 90% of the time... if the kid is a screw up... they are only following suit from the parents anyway.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

I've done it a few times. Kids get scared to death when you ask for their dads name and his number. I have encountered a few parents that coul;d care less. Stopped one for speeding, and had a small bud. His mom could care less. The bad thing is is that juvy court does the same thing.

Comment

For excessive speed (+20), careless driving, or sliding fine offenses, I will call the parents most of the time. If it is a lesser offense and it is mom and dad's car I may call depending on the Juvy's attitude. I called the parents of an old enough to know better living at home when I stopped him for 100+ in a 50 in their company car. I learned that his age was not too old to get in serious trouble with the folks! Took his keys to the car and the house, so he has to make sure that one of his parents is home when he leaves and comes back and has to get a ride to work from one of them or his younger brother THAT is justice! He still got a reckless and speeding citation that parents refused to help him with. $400+ and loss of license. Oh, yeah...it was in the middle of holiday traffic and the only way I caught up to him is that he pulled into a business 3/4 mile from where I clocked him at.
                            Last edited by badger; 07-17-2005, 11:39 PM. Reason: Changed some of the details to protect the guilty
                            " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisPD
                              The kids I catch out at night in stolen cars or committing burglary, it wouldn't do any good to call their parents, b/c the parents do not care at all.
                              I had the fear of God in my parents! I was NEVER stopped/ticketed when I was in their cars. Good Lord I would have been shot! I guess that is why I was married at 18 and didn't get a ticket until I was 27!

I agree with, depending on the citation, etc. to call mom and dad, I guess if they are idiots then the juvie gets the max!
                              She wants someone to call her angel, Someone to put the light back in her eyes...

In honor of: Cpl Chad Powell USMC Killed In Action Fallujah, Iraq June 23, 2005

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5316 users online. 293 members and 5023 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X