• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicidal 13-year old shot by Rochester, NY Officer

Chief: Police shooting of girl, 13, was 'appropriate'
    But some neighbors outraged by use of force

Patrick Flanigan
    Staff writer (Rochester Democrat & Chronicle)

(July 12, 2005)
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
    The shooting prompted outrage Monday on St. Jacob Street, where several residents joined an impromptu march led by Joy Powell, a community activist.

"There's no way a little girl with a knife was a threat to a big ol' police officer with a big ol' gun," Powell said. "We want some answers and we want them now."
    What an ignorant statment by someone not even involved. I can't believe the media is even acknowledging nut jobs who believe that we should be able to be stabbed or cut, rather then using our firearms. If I was that officer, I'd release an official statement stating "I did what I had to do. Put in the same situation, I'd do it again. Joy Powell can kiss my freakin hairy beanbag."
    Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
    --------------------
    This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

He noted that Simmons and Lashedica are both African American, so there is no racial component to the shooting.
      Why in the hell was this statement even made?? CYA, thats it.

The color of the officer should have no concern regarding this incident. All it does is fuel the fire of false allegations of race motivated police shootings for the future.

Comment

What an amazing amount of bull****! What the hell else was he supposed to do in that situation? I am sorry to see a young girl get killed, but honestly I feel worse for the officer who was put in a no-win situation.

You KNOW that now we're going to hear what a great girl she was, and how she helped old people cross the street, etc. (which I am sure may be true, but her being a sweet kid doesn't change some really bad choices)

I love how the situation was so tricky that the family had to call 911, but then they think they can dictate what happens on the call.

WTF?!

Comment

"There's no way a little girl with a knife was a threat to a big ol' police officer with a big ol' gun," Powell said.
          Exactly as is evident Apologies for being insensitive in advance.

Comment

all over the news here in rochester....at first there was a lot of bias against RPD and the officer, now they are trying to pull some of it back

and i am so tired of the stupid 'race card' being playing everyone time someone gets killed by a PD

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG
              ...everyone time someone gets killed by a PD

She wasn't killed. The article states that she is in guarded condition. Guarded is below either in between critical and serious or just below.

Lashedica was listed in guarded condition Monday at Strong Memorial Hospital, where she was treated after the shooting at her house at 30 St. Jacob St., which happened about 10:30 p.m. She was shot in the arm, the finger and the abdomen, Alexander said.

Comment

"There's no way a little girl with a knife was a threat to a big ol' police officer with a big ol' gun," Powell said. "We want some answers and we want them now."

This just enrages me to no end.

As ignorant as she is there is no answer for her. What is a "big ol gun" going to do to prevent that situtation except by using it? It's a gun, not a shield. Apparently, the young girl did not fear it. Actually, it's kind of good that he did shoot her. Anyone can be a threat. Perceived weaknesses will not illicit a weak response.

Comment

What causes a 13 year old kid to go nuts with a knife? She must have been upset her parents made her go to bed an hour early that night or something. God forbid... That's just lame. Stupid people...

Comment

If I worked on that department I would certainly appreciate the immediate statement of support by the Chief. It sounds so much better than the old CYA statement of: "The incident is still under investigation."
                    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

"There's no way a little girl with a knife was a threat to a big ol' police officer with a big ol' gun," Powell said

Hey Powell WTF do you think that gun is for? The police are trained to use their firearms when they are being attacked by people with knives. Dumb ***.

Those critics should all have a heaping cup of STFU.
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I read that story in the Democrat and Chronicle......

I feel like he did nothing wrong.
                        Dont wait...Procrastinate now!

Comment

Next time they have a nut case call Powell and French or any of those community leaders.
                          Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                          between you
                          and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by JHoek
                            Why in the hell was this statement even made?? CYA, thats it.

The color of the officer should have no concern regarding this incident. All it does is fuel the fire of false allegations of race motivated police shootings for the future.
                            It was put in there because the family IS claiming that it was a racist shooting.
                            *roll eyes* Go figure.

The whole thing ****es me off... grrr...
                            There was an editorial in the paper later saying her family's taking the "BIB" path: "Because I'm Black". No offense to anyone here meant, that's just what it said.
                            Last edited by letshearit4blue; 07-14-2005, 10:19 AM.
                            Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

anytime i see the title "community activist" i cringe.

wha a load of crap from all of these people. what are we as the police supposed to do?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6002 users online. 328 members and 5674 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X