Hagerstown Maryland????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagerstown Maryland????

I'm a Police Officer in the Pittsburgh area. Recently Hagerstown, MD posted an ad in the local paper here for police officers. I have seen this ad before, every year and sometimes twice a year. My question is, why?

I am thinking of applying but am concerned about what appears to be a hugh turn-over rate, considering how often the ad is ran. Does anybody here know if there are problems with or within the department? Is it a really bad area? Something seems to be forcing this ad. I have a wife and kids, so I'm a little leary about getting stuck in a bad situation. If I was single I probably wouldn't care as much, but I have too much riding on my paycheck now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hagerstown? Isn't that near Buckeystown? The boonies??

Comment

Originally posted by toni_tk
      Hagerstown? Isn't that near Buckeystown? The boonies??
      Nonononononoooo Toni. A good ways away from Buckeystown, out in Washington County.

Hagerstown has issues. Fixed shifts, fixed days off, and low starting salary (about 33 or so). The good news is they get great raises the first 4 or 5 years, topping out at something like 45....but then they basically sit there.

Being from Pittsburg, you'd have to do Maryland Comparative compliance, about 6 weeks or so.

Not a bad town to work for, if you like smaller sized (about 100 or so) departments.

Retirement is 25 years, I think.
      Best Regards,
      Zebra 305
      "Shots fired, shots fired..get me some goddam cars up here now!"
      Typical Henry Sector PG County radio traffic, circa 1996.

Comment

Zebra, thats where I'm pretty much at now. Fixed shifts and days off, although we get to bid every year based on senority. I'm not worried about that though, right now I have Sat & Sun off, and to be honest I had more fun with 2 weekdays off. I'm making about 34K right now with raises each year that don't even cover the cost of living, I'm talking like 2%.

I'm not worried about 6 weeks of training or anything like that. As far as a small department goes, we only have 15 officers, 4 Sgts., an LT and Chief here anyhow. I'm just worried about ethical and moral problems within the department. Like I said, I just don't want to get me and the family trapped in a bad situation and be stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by dare630
          Zebra, thats where I'm pretty much at now. Fixed shifts and days off, although we get to bid every year based on senority. I'm not worried about that though, right now I have Sat & Sun off, and to be honest I had more fun with 2 weekdays off. I'm making about 34K right now with raises each year that don't even cover the cost of living, I'm talking like 2%.

I'm not worried about 6 weeks of training or anything like that. As far as a small department goes, we only have 15 officers, 4 Sgts., an LT and Chief here anyhow. I'm just worried about ethical and moral problems within the department. Like I said, I just don't want to get me and the family trapped in a bad situation and be stuck.

I can well understand that. Go down there, and check out the town, would be my suggestion. They are certainly busy most of the time....
          Best Regards,
          Zebra 305
          "Shots fired, shots fired..get me some goddam cars up here now!"
          Typical Henry Sector PG County radio traffic, circa 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by zebra305
            I can well understand that. Go down there, and check out the town, would be my suggestion. They are certainly busy most of the time....
            Ya Baracuda's rocks
            "Support Our Troops"

Comment

From what I hear, the town is growing extremely fast, which would at least partly explain their constant recruitment.
              Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8020 users online. 339 members and 7681 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
              X