Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'd like an answer, should he have gotten a ticket?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like an answer, should he have gotten a ticket?

http://www.officer.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004600

Well?

Yes, no one is above the law.

Comment

Well, Absolutely he should have gotten one.
      The first problem I see with this is.. just as Mitzi said, no one is above the law.
      Second, the complaining "officer" says that he spent countless hours down working at the WTC after the tradegy. Well, okay, and? So does that mean that you don't deserve a ticket? I think not. If the only reason he worked at the WTC clean up efforts was to be able to "tell" it to everyone, then he shouldn't have been there in the first place. I definately got the impression from the letter that he "expected" something because he so valuantly gave his time.
      He was certainly not the only one down there but I bet he is the only one EXPECTING something in return.
      I also believe in professional curtosy BUT, if I were the officer and some BOZO come up to me and started babbling about "ohh, I worked at the WTC, you shouldn't give me a ticket", blah blah blah, then I would have probably taken him to jail..you know, I SMELLED BEER on his breath. On the way I would say, "you know, when we get to the jail, you might see some of the officers that were working with you at the WTC cleanup."
      I take the whole tradegy of the deaths, etc from the WTC very seriously and the fact that a lot of innocent people lost their lives for no good reason still bothers me and always will. I don't appreciate some MORON using this as a way to get out of a measly dam* ticket.
      Just my 2 cents [Wink]
      In valor there is hope - Tacitus

Comment

Technically yes.
        I don't see the type of parking violation mentioned. Handicapped space violators get hammered by me, others don't.
        So without knowing the exact violation, I can't really say what I would have done, but I rarely write parkers, especially with the violator present.
        I'm a softy.

Comment

I'm confused about how he knew that this citing officer wan't at the WTC? Crystal ball?

Regardless of whether the officer was at the WTC or not, it has ZERO bearing on what is simply a question of professional courtesy.

Comment

Nite, would you have let the guy off if he started all this BS about "ohh, I worked 12 hours a day a the WTC...."? Would that have had any bearing on you writing the ticket or not?

I think the guy just said that wanting some bragging rights.

Comment

Well shorty since (*add dramatic music here*)"no one is above the law" let me ask you a question I asked on the other posted thread.

Do you have to know a cop's work history or assignment to decide if you're going to cite?

It may have not been your intent, but from reading your post my impression is you hardly contain your glee writing about how you'd throw him in jail........

Would you issue a citation for a minor traffic/parking infraction to a member of your OWN department or your partner?

Surely, they would understand that (*add dramatic music here*) no one is above the law.
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

For one you are blowing this way bigger than it actually was intended.
                *begin dramatic music*
                To answer your question, GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES I might write my partner. Who knows until your in that sit.?
                Here is my point before I get bashed for being "anti-brotherhood".
                I can understand you overlooking a ticket for a fellow LEO, even if their not in your dept. BUT, you have to be very careful in how you word things like this. People may view it as if you would overlook a ticket, would you overlook a murder, embezzelment, rape, etc...
                No, they're not on the same level of seriousness, but when you make statements as you did, people wonder how far would you go to hide a crime IF it's committed by a fellow LEO?
                It is the same thing, it's just a different degree. If cops aren't honest in this world, then who is?

Comment

Thw WTC was a horrible tragedy. To use it to benefit yourself is a horrible selfishness. So, he was at the WTC and he lost friends. There isn't any LEO or civilian here that would not have gone above and beyond duty that day to help. To use it for your own personal benefit is, to me, a crime. What, he deserves a red carpet because he was there? Laws don't apply to him because he was there?
                  Those that were there deserve our gratitude and admiration. But they don't deserve to use it as a means to an end. That's a travesty compared to what those that died went through.

Comment

I've never written a ticket to another law enforcement officer. I've stopped plenty of them over the years and a few have had very bad attitudes. I might politely suggest that the person lose the bad attitude but I still don't issue a citation.

As said previously, however, nobody is above the law. Once the citation was written, the officer should have been an adult about the situation. If he wanted to contest the validity of the citation, he should have gone to court like anybody else. If he was guilty, he should have paid the fine. The letter just makes the officer and his department look bad.

Comment

I remember one time when I was on FTO.
                      I caught a person runninga red light.
                      Upon stopping him I asedk the usaul questions on why he commited the offense. He gave me the reason was that he was in a hurry to get home. He then told me he was a CO at the local jail.
                      I wen back to my car and wrote him the ticket.
                      I then gave it to him. He was very upset and could not belive that I a LEO gave a brother (CO) a ticket even though I knew he was a CO. He then attempted to get out of his car to confront me(big guy about 6'05 280 lbs) I continued to shut his door and warned him him to stay in the car hwich he did.
                      When I went back to my car my FTO whp had just watcehd this could not belived that I gave him a ticket because of "Professional Courtesy".
                      I then told my FTO that the point of that is so that we would overlook violations. Thats all fine and dnandy but to that CO the only one who would have any benefit(call it what you want, THATS what it is) is him.
                      Fisrt off I have NO intentions on going to jail, second, if I DID how is he going to help me? Keep me away from general population? Extra soap?(my FTO had a good chuckle over that answer)
                      I have no problem with ONLY if the other does not go spouting off at the mouth tellimg who he is. I will ask him when I get the info for the cite.
                      In this case depending how blantant it was.

That Guy

[ 09-29-2002, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: That Guy ]
                      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

We have a friend who is a state trooper. Many years ago, a young cop from downstate was clocked going over 100 on a fairly open but well traveled road. When he was stopped, he flashed his badge. Our friend said he was giving him a ticket because 100mph was ridiculous. The young cop raised a rucus, a supervisor was called.....the ticket was issued on the basis of his not caring about other human life on the road. It was felt this wasn't just a case of being 20 miles over the speed limit. This was reckless and careless driving, pure and simple.
                        My bet is the guy was either severely reptemanded or maybe lost his job.

Comment

shorty,
                          I understand what you're saying, but I don't think most reasonable people are going to equate giving a fellow cop a break on a parking ticket with ignoring a serious felony. If so, they also think a cop is on the take for getting a discount on a cup of coffee at the local DD.

That Guy,
                          I don't get it, you ask WHY the CO was speeding. He explains why- and you tag him? Why ask for an explaination, what was he supposed to say? I wasn't there so I'm not judging, but didn't he say he was a CO only after you asked him what his story was(?)

He got an attitude AFTER you cited him? Maybe it's just me, but I would've been ****ed too.

And as far as "flashing the badge", yes there are some guys who wave it out their window like a magic wand. However, cops who discretely (sp) show it while they were retrieving their DL have been also accused of this.

Lastly, I've never been cited the few times I've been stopped. Maybe that's why I get a little moody when I (sometimes wrongly) perceive a cop is being a hard*** when they talk about citing another. It's not a bash, just one guys opinion.

Note: I would "bash" any cop who'd actually cite their own partner for a minor traffic infraction. They'd be an a-hole.

[ 09-29-2002, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: BRICKCOP ]
                          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Short answer: I wouldn't knowingly write another cop a parking ticket.

Do I think that the complaining officer in this letter is being sort of a d*ck about it all and being over-dramatic about his "losing faith"? You bet.

Comment

The point of the cop wearing the WTC pin was to show solidarity. Brotherhood. Giving another policeman a PARKING TICKET flies in the face of the "brotherhood" that he's wearing on his "sleeve"...or chest to be more specific.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4985 users online. 327 members and 4658 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X