300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch!!!!!!!

First call outta roll call (actually still in roll call) was a domestic assault in progress. Get to the scene with several other officers and start running to where the suspect and victim are. About three steps into the run the back of my right leg feels like I got a very strong electrical shock and I nearly fall down. Try to move and it hurts like hell. In fact I could barely stand. The other guys end up having to handle the situation (dispute not assault). After a few minutes I am able to "walk" it off and feel a little better. Hang around for a while doing some FI's on some guys. When I go to get back into my patrol car the pain starts again and it's more than I can handle. Pressing the accelerater in the car is torture and I decide to go to the hospital. Turns out I pulled my calf muscle and strained my hamstring. I'm on Motrin, and a muscle relaxer. I was given a prescription for percoset but I am terrified to take it.Also instructed to keep icing it and resting. Any tips on how to deal with this other then the usual?
    In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Well, if you have a chiropractor, have him or her make sure your lower back and pelvis are aligned.
    A misalignment could have contributed to the injury you suffered and can slow the healing process.
    If you don't believe in chriorpractors, then disregard. [Wink]

Comment

Well Metro, unfortuately I do not have any advice, but I did want to wish you a speedy recovery. Hope you feel better soon!
      In valor there is hope - Tacitus

Comment

Percocet is good stuff. Just don't pop them like candy and you'll be fine. The active ingredient is oxycodone the killer stuff in oxycontin that is all the rage back east.
        If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

Hope you feel better soon, Metro. Be careful with the Percs. Those things are wicked. The motrin should help with swelling and the pain if it's not too bad. Rest and get well.

Comment

Man I feel for ya. I had symptoms like that a few years ago and it turned out to be a ruptured disk. Every time I sat down a shooting pain went down my leg. Couldn't even drive to work. The problem with back problems like a ruptured disk is that even though the pain is in the leg, the problem is in the back so when you look for the problem you don't see it. I had an MRI done and the problem was found that way.
            If your pain continues you might want to have the docs check that out. I had an operation done and 2 weeks later I was back at work. I figure I'm at about 98-99% back to normal.
            Hope I'm wrong and hope ya get better quick.
            "There's only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And it comes with the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

My H had two ruptured discs. Because of a deteriorating vertebrae, a small piece of bone landed on a nerve in his left leg and he had no feeling in it. I remember him rubbing and rubbing his leg but still no feeling. He had back surgery to repair the discs and the fragment of bone was taken off the nerve. The feeling returned to his leg immediately.
              He was out of work 6 weeks but that was his companies policy. I don't remember him taking anything more then an aspirin o tylenol. But then, my H doesn't believe in prescription pain meds.
              I don't remember him ever having to take any. He just had foot surgery where they had to grind down overgrown bone on the back of his heels. They gave him demerol and darvon. Not one did he take. I really admire his resolve. He kept the meds here a few days just in case and, when he saw tht he could control it with just aspirin, out went the meds.
              He saw a friend get hooked on Tylenol#3 for back problems. Hence, he would take it only of the pain were so bad, he couldn't handle it.
              I couldn't imagine my H not being able to handle anything. Really.

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Mitzi:

He saw a friend get hooked on Tylenol#3 for back problems. Hence, he would take it only of the pain were so bad, he couldn't handle it.
                I couldn't imagine my H not being able to handle anything. Really.

Tylenol#3 is wonderful...oops, did i say that [Eek!] lol... actually i had leftover from a toothache and used a half at nite for my aching muscles from work. it worked like a dream but i ran out

i took percoset after my gallbladder surgery...the surgeon told me to start with a half and take it as soon as the shot wore off from after surgery. he said that way the pain wouldnt have a chance to take hold. i stayed with a half-one for about a week, but they made me dizzy and nauseous. they did take away the pain tho. hope you feel better soon!

[ 09-29-2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

R I C E

Rest
                  Ice
                  Compression
                  Elevation
                  allblacks.com

Comment

I've pulled both hamstrings. Strained ones are quicker healing & can get back to normal. Pulled ones are woolyboogers to get back in shape & take a lot longer. Rest & not putting a strain (no pun intended) on it is really about the best you can do. Take care!

Comment

Turns out that my ham string has a slight strain that is nearly healed and that I severely strained my soleus. Will be close to three weeks before I can return to full duty.

Comment

Hey Metro, I'm in the same boat man. I'm sittin at home, now into my second week off work for a pulled hamstring. It's a ****er cos I can't even go out and do stuff.
                        I went to the mall with my family last Thursday. Walked about 500 yards to the store we had to go to. When we got there my leg was so tight I had to sit down on one of the sofa's that was on sale. Then had to walk the 500 yards back again. Shagged.
                        3 weeks ago I was running 5 miles a night and 10 miles on a Saturday.
                        In addition to pain killers they've got me wearing a sexy tubagrip compression bandage from my groin down to just under my knee.
                        The artist formerly known as Soho Bandit

Comment

I have been at least cleared to work light duty which is better than sitting at home all day. I can only watch so much TV before I go nuts. Shuffling paper isn't quite the police work I want to do but it beats sitting at home.

Comment

Metro, I kinda know how you feel. Sitting here right now with a walking boot on my left foot trying to rest a strained achilles tendon. I was lucky that I did not tear it, just strain it. Happened while re-qualifying with firearms. Had to run from point A to point B while qualifying with shotgun, and I guess I pushed off the wrong way or something, cause it hurt like heck while I was running, and could barely walk back to starting point. Since I am a reserve, I am not missing work, just missing riding out with regulars. I cheated this week-end, and took it off Sunday and rode out. Didn't hurt too bad. Just have one more week of boot then can go back to working with regulars hopefully more than I have the past month or so.

Good luck with your injury, and here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
                            "Why is it that our children cannot read the Bible in school, yet they can in prison?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5030 users online. 337 members and 4693 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X