Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie problems

Ok folks, here's my problem.

We have this rookie, I won't mention gender nor age. The person has been around for 1 year now.

I know I was pretty weak coming out of training but nothing like this. Here are some examples.

1. Going to a call of a suicidal male who has a 3030 rifle in the house. The rook didn't have their gun out. It was at night, the rook even lit me up with their flashlight to see where I was while we were standing outside the house!!! I had to yell at the rook to turn off the light.

2. Going to a crazy woman call. We had to seize some firearms from the house. The rook told the woman to go get the firearms from the house while the rook waited outside!

3. While I was ready to go toe to toe with a client, the rook decided to wait 6 feet behind me!!!!

4. I got out of the driver side of the police car (PC) ran around the back of the PC down the side of a house after the runner before the rook even got out of the PC.

5. Several of the members have caught the rook lying about small issues in the office.

6. The judge has torn the rook a new *** on the stand for extremely poor evidence testimony.

7. The rook will ask questions before looking it up in the legislation. If the person they ask tells them to go look it up, the rook will go ask someone else.

I guess I could go on and on. These issues have been raised with the rook but the rook takes it as a personal attack. The rook cannot handle constructive criticism. Both management and same level collegues have approached the rook but to no avail.

Hmmm... on paper the rook looked good for the job, I'm sure recruiting was estactic they found a suitable candidate. In reality, the rook just doesn't cut the grade. Not all people who look good on paper are really cut out for this type of career, you have to want to do this.

Maybe I'm just venting... any others have similar problems and or solutions? Heck you all could vent, I'd love to read it.

RCMP

Disclaimer: If anyone thinks they know who I'm talking about, it's because you have someone similar in your office. If you happen to think it is you then you are probably right. If anyone takes legal action against me on this post, I will immediately go on stress leave for 6 months and then I will sue you and the force. This message is intended for the sole use of this board and any reproduction or resubmission on any other forum will effectively make you a LOSER!

WOW The person made it all the way through your academy, I thought you guys had a pretty strict academy. Who was the person's FTO?
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Hahah I love where you put you won't disclose the sex, I assume it's a female eh?

Comment

How the hell did that person make it off probation?
        If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

Is SHE still on probation or in training?

Comment

The aforementioned subject is still on probation, they got off field training 6 months ago.

The reason I didn't mention gender or age is because "they" come in all different size, shape, age, cultural, racial, sexual preference, religious background, political affiliation and gender.

As for the training academy (Depot), it's not hard to fly under the radar. I partially attribute this to a lack of a means to highlight these individuals at the recruitment level. I do not know of any definitive test or process that can identify these individuals. I'm sure this goes across borders and every LE agency out there has the same issue.

Individuals will be individuals, that's what makes us "unique".

RCMP

Comment

Originally posted by RCMP
              Disclaimer: If anyone thinks they know who I'm talking about, it's because you have someone similar in your office. If you happen to think it is you then you are probably right. If anyone takes legal action against me on this post, I will immediately go on stress leave for 6 months and then I will sue you and the force. This message is intended for the sole use of this board and any reproduction or resubmission on any other forum will effectively make you a LOSER!

i like that,,i ve only got one word TERMINATION, if you just dont get it then you wont..we had one like that, was told he could save a little face and quit, or be fired and carry that with him.

Comment

The Best way to get through Depot is under the radar!

I started off as an Auxiliary in 92/93 and I seen my share or rookie problems, and then I had a few myself. It is one thing to have a "paper" issue and another to have an officer safety issues.

I think if the force doesn't want to deal with these people as far as terminating them, then they should be moved into non operational roles.

I once new a guy that was trying to write in his notebook and was having trouble juggling his pen, notebook, 3 D-cell maglite. He eventually gave the maglite to the bad guy to hold over his notebook/head!!!

Remember we always need people to sit outside embassies

Comment

I can understand rookie mistakes, I'm sure I'll make some when I earn another badge but honestly, that is crazy. I'll give one of my own though, I'm not perfect. My partner and I were tailing some gang members in the city on foot at night and had radioed in such. At one point we were hiding in some bushes just to see if we could catch them doing something and my dispatcher comes over the radio asking us our location. Stupid me, I forgot to turn down the radio. I felt like somebody turned a huge spotlight on me and luckily they were not doing anything noticably illegal at the time so they didn't go into defense mode. That mistake was never made again!
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

there are learning mistakes,,like someone said earlier everyone has them,,then there are just plain flat out repeated screw ups, that wont ever change...i dont think people here are bashing everyone who makes a little mistake,,,just the bone heads who just dont get it.

Comment

Kind of like a 2 LT in the Army; never makes the same mistake twice; just all of them once.
                      Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                      between you
                      and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I would make sure whoever is their supervisor or FTO is aware of these shortcomings before they get someone hurt. Otherwise, you'll just have to work with 'em. Good luck.
                        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

If the FTO isn't aware of these shortcomings shouldn't his Sgt be informed instead. I know, I'm not there, but really, how can the FTO be that blind as to who he is training.

Comment

But I'VE been trying to get on the job for 8 years & can't get hired.

Speak up to a supervisor before someone gets seriously injured or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sgkelly
                              Kind of like a 2 LT in the Army; never makes the same mistake twice; just all of them once.
                              And then has automatic promotions built in their contracts
                              Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4815 users online. 293 members and 4522 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X