300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop Cards

My chief has decided to revive the old cop cards program. For those of you that have no idea what that is, it's a trading card with an officer's picture on it, the back features a short bio. We've all been told participation is mandatory this time around and my unit is scheduled to take photos on Wednesday.

My question is this ..... Do you think I should get my own card? I'm kind of leery about my photo drifitng around.
    "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

I wouldn't like that either, Ken. And I don't think you should be forced to do this. I wouldn't want my photo with info about me out there either.

Comment

We did "Cop Cards" here in 1999 and they went over really well. I suppose if there is a major threat level towards you, or your Department, I can understand your hesitation. When it comes down to it, you are pretty visible anyway, so if you are going to die, you're going to die. Maybe, just maybe, your card will actually make some kid LIKE you and/or your Department.
      As long as you don't have to pay for them, and you can restrict how much personal information is on them (no need to name your significant other and kids, if any), what have you got to lose?
      Sorry, I guess it just isn't that bad up here that I have to worry - I ended up flinging my cards out to the crowd at a parade I was driving in, and the only thing I regretted was that I ran out of cards too fast!
      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
      "Smile" - no!

Comment

We've had great success with the program over the past few years. Every year the local grade schools have a competition to see who can gather the all the available cop cards.

Lubys also has an appreciation dinner for the police department where the officers and their families eat for free. After supper all the local kids get to meet the officers and have them sign their cop card. Its alot of fun for both the kids and the officers. Every year we have nearly 100% participation by the officers and probably a 1000 kids show up. My kids love it too, because they get to show off their dad.

As for the personal information on the cards, ours is pretty generic. Such as favorite food, TV show, years service, job title, and a quote.

I figure some of my cop cards end up on dart boards or have other bad things done to them, but it really doesnt hurt me.

I give the program two thumbs up.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Evnings ]
        RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

I've just about made up my mind to do it. The ones that we are forced to do are unit photos. The traffic unit I'm in only has 5 members so we'll be one of the few sets where the members will stand out.

What the heck, I guess I can be pretty picky about handing them out.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo:
            When it comes down to it, you are pretty visible anyway, so if you are going to die, you're going to die.
            LMFAO ! I never thought of it like that.

Comment

I wish we had cop cards. I have a small collection of them. Some of our people are against them, saying the crooks will know what we look like. Heck, who cares if the world knows I'm a cop? Everywhere I go in town, someone recognizes me. Most cops are "made" by crooks at first glance, regardless of their picture is on a trading card. I say go ahead with the cards.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I also bet a good way to raise money for fallen officers wives is to raffle off a whole set. Some people are fanatics with colecting cards of any kind. Just a idea, But be the first to get to your boss with the idea. Brownie points and all. Don't forget to save a couple sets for future fundraisers.
                "To each his own"

Comment

I like the cop card thingie. I am one who likes to collect them myself. I like knowing my areas officers and all. I figure the more I know on a name basis the better. But then again all cops are heroes to me so I want to know them. Just my opinion on it guys

Klar
                  Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

ive never seen these cards in my area. who gets the profits from them?

Comment

Originally posted by 10-13:
                      ive never seen these cards in my area. who gets the profits from them?
                      There is no profit on them - either your Agency pays for them, or outside companies pay for them and consider it as advertising, and the cards are distributed free to kids or whoever. The set we did in 1999 included 500 cards of each us, including our secretary and our 3 Auxiliary Constables, and the local Credit Union and one of the gas stations (which was then owned by one of our Auxiliary Constables) shared 50/50 in the cost of production. It was not overly expensive, since there were only 10 of us.
                      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                      "Smile" - no!

Comment

Anyone want to buy a Ken M rookie card? Only $699.95,black and white photo, maybe I'll try ebay I think it's a pretty cool idea.We don't have them but I have seen some from other PD's.

Comment

Originally posted by vbrenner:
                          I have a small collection of them. Some of our people are against them,
                          I've got some cards too. I've got the 50 state police cars cards minus a few of the states. I guess not everyone wanted to get their cars on display.

I've been trying to find some with just officers on them and I did find some official city websites and requested how to get them but I didn't hear anything back ever.

If anyone has any spares they would like to send me, let me know.

Matt
                          FREE Website Development for Law Enforcement
                          <a href="http://police-websites.org" target="_blank">http://police-websites.org</a>

Comment

If any of you have your cards and you want to trade send me a message. I have some of mine left I would not mind sending a few south of the border.

Let me know.

Comment

Anybody got an idea how much they run? I work in a resort area w/ lots of kids, and this may be a great idea. We have POS for cars, but we could take pix of the guys on bikes and our k9.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5649 users online. 361 members and 5288 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X