Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York is finally getting smart - DWI plates

http://senatorspano.com/press_archiv...y.asp?id=11239

SENATE INVESTIGATIONS AND TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEES RELEASE JOINT REPORT ON DRUNK DRIVING IN NEW YORK STATE

Propose Legislation to Combat Repeat Offenders by Issuing Special License Plates

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Senator Nick Spano (R - Westchester), Chairman of the New York State Senate Committee on Investigations and Government Operations and Senator Tom Libous (R/C - Binghamton), Chairman of the New York State Senate Committee on Transportation, today released a joint Committee Report entitled, "Drunk Driving in New York State, Action for Prevention."

The report details the growing problem of repeat DWI offenders. They account for about half the DWI arrests each year. Repeat offenders and drivers with high blood alcohol levels (often one in the same) contribute prominently to the drunk driving problem. The fact that in some states (New York included), one can commit numerous drunk driving offenses and never have his or her driver
    sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

hopefully the bill won't succumb to state politics and makes it to the Govenors table to be signed.
    retired, NOT retarded

Comment

I can't see it passing with plate alone being PC for a stop... not in this state. There are so many other things to stop most vehicles for that the plate being PC isn't a necessity... As long as it passes that repeat offenders have use these plate I'll be happy.
      sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

[QUOTE]Drunk driving is the nation
        America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased. -PJ O'Rourke

Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Malcontent
          As for the plates, I guess the "soccer mom or dad" whose significant other is the one with the "alcohol" problem, will be so relieved to have to drive a car and get stopped by LEO's seeing the DWI plate.

However, at least they are not going for first time low BAC offenders, but as soon as they get this passed, it won't be long before they try and get the plates on anyone suspected of a DUI, much less convicted.

I'm all for keping drunks off the road, but are they that hard to spot driving down the road?
          Umm... I stop soccer moms all the time for speeding and other traffic violations... what diffrence is it if I stop them because the plate says there might be a repeat violator behind the wheel... we use radar to catch speeders and DWI is much more serious than speeding. People like you usually change their attitude and start bitch about the police not doing enough once something happens to you or your family.

Be happy they aren't proposing something like Ohio... where DWI plates are BRIGHT ORANGE
          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Stopping people for speeding I don't have a problem with or any other traffic violation. My problem is, what if the car is registered in both adults name. Why should they have the DUI plate, if they are the ones who will now have to drive the other one around?

People like you usually change their attitude and start bitch about the police not doing enough once something happens to you or your family.
            And that is the problem, people wait until the emotions hit them and lash out, as if it will do something to help and I doubt it ever does. I doubt it I'll be the one to bitch, should something happen to anyone in my family. Been there done that already. Getting mad didn't help.

Revenge is a dish better left unserved.
            America wasn't founded so that we could all be better. America was founded so we could all be anything we damned well pleased. -PJ O'Rourke

Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

In MA they would charge an extra 40 bucks to register DWI tags because it would be considered a vanity plate
              Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

vanity plate
                Good one.

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think the DWI plate is a good idea and would be a good PC to stop someone tagged as a repeat offender. If you have that plate, just haveing it is PC enough to stop you = Good Idea.
                  In Texas we have what is called a H.E.A.T (help end auto theft) decal that people can get (voluntary) and place on their vehicle. With this decal the vehicle can be stopped for haveing this decal during certin hrs. (generally around 1am - 5am) simply to check if the vehicle is opporated by the registered owner and all that good stuff.

Unfortunately some " Liberal Wussies " will No doubtedly have a problem with The DWI Plates due to some BS reason which holds no real substance.

I hope and pray this goes into effect all over the U.S. It would be a real win for the public and police

Comment

I think the DWI plate is a good idea and would be a good PC to stop someone tagged as a repeat offender. If you have that plate, just haveing it is PC enough to stop you = Good Idea.

In Texas we have what is called a H.E.A.T (help end auto theft) decal that people can get (voluntary) and place on their vehicle. With this decal the vehicle can be stopped for haveing this decal during certin hrs. (generally around 1am - 5am) simply to check if the vehicle is opporated by the registered owner and all that good stuff.

Unfortunately some " Liberal Wussies " will No doubtedly have a problem with The DWI Plates due to some BS reason which holds no real substance.

I hope and pray this goes into effect all over the U.S. It would be a real win for the public and police
                    Again, if only the DUI offender is the one driving the car, but anyone else who has to drive this car would be so relieved to be stopped just so you can check things out.

H.E.A.T has it worked?

I not a liberal, but I don't like the idea or Police given unfettered authority to stop someone who hasn't done anything wrong, other than get a DUI sometime in the past. Not everyone who has this plate shouldn't be driving.

How is this a win-win, please explain?

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

What if the bozo gets drunk and just drives a friends car who does not have the plates? Whats the guarantee that he/she only drives the tagged vehicle?

Dont get me wrong, I think its a good idea , but has a few holes in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcontent
                        I not a liberal, but I don't like the idea or Police given unfettered authority to stop someone who hasn't done anything wrong, other than get a DUI sometime in the past. Not everyone who has this plate shouldn't be driving.

How is this a win-win, please explain?
                        I need a beer... the lack of attention to detail is getting to me... Read the bill.... these plates are not for your kid in college who gets stupid and get's popped at a .10. These plates are for idiots with multiple offenses in a relatively short period of time. Who cares what people think about being stopped if they are driving the vehicle with DWI plates... driving is a privlidge not a right. You don't like the rules... take a hike!

Originally posted by Styx
                        What if the bozo gets drunk and just drives a friends car who does not have the plates? Whats the guarantee that he/she only drives the tagged vehicle?

Dont get me wrong, I think its a good idea , but has a few holes in it.
                        There of course is no guarantee but it is one more tool to help us try to keep the roads a little safer. If you really wanted to not sound like an idiot... why not say... why don't they add penalties for driving someone else's vehicle when you privlidges have conditions placed on them.
                        Last edited by Trooper4985; 07-08-2005, 04:58 PM.
                        sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Forget the license plate, they shouldn't have a license.

Third offense? Come on.
                          In war, resolution; in defeat, defiance; in victory, magnanimity.
                          -Winston Churchill

Comment

in theroy its a good idea,,but i see profiling as an issue....i made an arrest once for possess marij.. guy was a smart butt,,so i being so smart,,said "you know what s funny,,you got busted for weed, and the first three letters of your license plate is BUD,,,he didnt think it was funny,,nor did my captain..

Comment

Originally posted by Labrock
                              Forget the license plate, they shouldn't have a license.

Third offense? Come on.
                              Third DWI conviction in 10 years is a D Felony in NY... but because the liberal weenies like Hillary and Chuck... we will never be hard on criminals like we should be.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2489 users online. 130 members and 2359 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X