Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Jailers In Ga Be Fire Armed Certified.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Jailers In Ga Be Fire Armed Certified.

In Ga A Jail Officer Has To Be Sent To Jailer School With In Six Months After He Or She Has Been Hired . Currenty The Basic Jailer Program Offers No Fire Arms Training. I Just Wanted Some Feed Back On This Topic .
    STAND FOR SOMETHING OR FALL FOR ANYTHING .

I'm assuming it is commonplace at every agency in the country that guns are not allowed inside correctional facilities. I have never seen a jail that did not require officers to lock up their guns in lockboxes prior to entering the facility. Any jail that permits officers to retain their weapons while inside a jail is asking for very serious trouble. Therefore, I personally don't see the need for jailers to be trained in firearms. I think that more class time focusing on defensive tactics, verbal direction, security principles, and the use of restraints would be much more beneficial to jailers than learing how to use a weapon that they wont ever be allowed to have at work. I don't know what the situation in Georgia is but I can't see where any jailer would need to have firearms training.

Comment

Should Jailers In Ga Be Fire Armed Certified.
      Most are. Whats your beef?

Comment

No, they shouldn't. But that doesn't stop some from going out and buying a badge before they are police certified and doing just that, unfortunately.
        You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Corrections Officers (JAILERS) in Ohio working county jails need just the basic corrections officer course and can't carry off duty or on so firearms certifiaction is a moot issue here. Who ya gonna shhot in the jail ?

They might apply for a CCW permit thru the Sheriff's Office but it is likely it would be denied so that way a jailer isn't out playing cop.

Comment

Fake Badge

Yes Any Body Can Go Out And Purchase A Fake Police Badge . But If That Individual Were To Flash It He Or She Would Be Inpersonating A Officer . Now If A Department Gives A Officer A Badge And I.d. With Title And Rank And If That Individual Represents Him Or Her As That Title Then That Is Not Inpersonating A Officer . The Bibb County Sheriff Office In Macon Ga Issues Take Home Weapons To Jailers As Long As The Jailer Can Post Qualify With The Service Weapon. Bibb County Jailers Can Carry On And Off Duty . They Have A Gun Locker At The Jail To Secure The Weapon Before They Begin Their Shift. Certified Jailers ,detention Officers , And Corrections Officers Are Exempt Under 16-11-30 Of The Ga Code Theese Officers May Carry With Out A Permit To Carry Concealed And They Have The Same Carry Powers As A Certified Law Enforcement Officer. I GUESS CENTURION 44 WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION IN MANDATE SCHOOL
            Last edited by pateshane; 07-04-2005, 12:41 PM.

Comment

in ref to: firearms....

all l.e.o's in fla can carry ccf / ccw w/o permit

state corrections officers are licensed and bonded for their 8
              hour shift and anytime they are on duty

sheriff's can license or bond 24 hr's all deputies and special deputies
              and give them arrest power. and that varies county to county.

georgia is a bit strange, no one carry's a fire ar in jail , they probably
              meant for transport to...medical offices, hospital's, court, prisons....

www.schackdaddy.com
              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

No Weapons Behind The Guard Line

Of Course You Can Not Take A Gun Past Guard Lines That Being Said Their Is A Assigned Area To Secure The Weapon Before You Enter The Detention Side Of The Jail.

Comment

There seems to be some confusion on some posters part about GA law and COs and firearms. In GA, Jailers, COs, etc, are excempt from state CCW laws and can carry on creds. I will be glad to post relavent GA code if anyone is interested.

With that said, any jailer playing wannabe cop is libable to get his *** in deep ka ka.

Norm
                  Last edited by Norm357; 07-05-2005, 09:56 AM. Reason: Spelling DUH!

Comment

If part of the jailers duties were to transport prisoners outside the facilities then they should be armed. Proper training should take place before that is allowed.

Comment

The problem in Ohio is each SHERIFF can set his own rules and deny CCW permits to his jail guards. 88 Sheriffs 88 opinions. Should a jail guard be able to get a CCW permit yes I think so but my title isn't SHERIFF.r

Some can get them depending on thier Sheriff some will not
                      Does that explain it better ?

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
                        There is just a line at the jail? Wow, you guys got some pretty honest criminals. We have a double set of interlocked security doors.
                        You laugh. Inside a housing unit in Gwinnett the only thing that seperates the deputy from 120 inmates of varying security levels is a red line painted on the floor.

That being said, any deputy that transports an inmate or works any other armed post is POST (Police) certified.

Comment

That was a problem with Gwinnett SO for a while. It's now their policy that non-certified deputies must change into uniform after coming to work. The first year I worked their I had to get to work 20 min early so I could change into my uniform.

Comment

We have jailers working dorms one officer with 100 inmates.

Comment

Originally posted by pateshane
                              In Ga A Jail Officer Has To Be Sent To Jailer School With In Six Months After He Or She Has Been Hired . Currenty The Basic Jailer Program Offers No Fire Arms Training. I Just Wanted Some Feed Back On This Topic .
                              Are you the same moron who has posted with 2 or 3 other names (pbunn being 1) who can't figure out that you don't capitalize the first letter of every word.

Why would you need any firearms training since you don't have guns in jail? Doesn't sound very safe to me.
                              Last edited by Trooper4985; 07-06-2005, 05:04 PM.
                              sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11916 users online. 500 members and 11416 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X