300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's from South Carolina?

Who's from South Carolina? And what dept. do you work for? I'm going though the process with a few depts. in SC. Just trying to see who is from the area to find out some info. Thanks
    Deputy Sheriff

I am now retired from an Agency on the Coast of SC.

Are you looking in the coastal area?
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

yes I have an app. in for Beaufort County. I'm going though the BI right now with them. I also have a app. in at Greenville County oral interview in July and will being puting an app in at Newberry County. I have not found many depts. that are hiring right now. Do you have any info on who is hiring or is north freindly(jk)?
      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I know nothing about Greenville, less about Newberry. I grew up around Beaufort and am pretty sure that as fast as they are growing they would likely be hiring. Beaufort is the County that Hilton Head is in, as well as a recent retirement village closer to Savannah.

I was further up the Coast from Beaufort, and I know my agency maintains a large backlog of qualified and certified applicants, so there would be a waiting list there. For the record, there are many "naturalized" Yankees in L.E. here.

I think you will find that most of the more progressive agencies in SC are not North unfriendly. It is simply that no one in the South likes for someone to come into the South and claim things are done backward and should be done "the way we did it up North". I think the North would be the same, except more sterotyping of Southerners. If it was so great where they came from, why did they leave?
        Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Comment

you mush be from Charleston area? I think you need a 4 year deg. for Charleston Police Department. I have 70 cedits or something like that. The reason I'm going to put an app. in at Newberry is b/c I went to college their for a year so a know the area, and Beaufort I just love it there well anywhere in SC for that matter. Greenville County is hiring that is all a know about them so i put an app in with them and got the ball rolling. I also see that North Myrtle Beach is taking applications. not too many depts hiring in SC.
          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

There are other agencies in the Chas. area that are better, some are as large and more versatile. Don't discount the S.O.'s. I haven't heard of any agency that wouldn't hire someone with an Associates and experience.

Comment

My department

My department (Anderson County) will be hiring for SEVERAL recently added positions in the next few weeks. We are Greenvilles immediate neighbor the the west on I-85. Sheriff got a huge budget increase which added something like 24 new deputy slots in varying areas of responsibility. We are also progressive in our hiring of yankees, we have tons of them, mostly New Yorkers which are the worst kind just kidding...........kinda

Comment

Who's from SC

Hey. Transplanted Yankee here. There are numerous departments in Metro Charleston, Tri County area who often are hiring, but don't advertise openly for the positions. I am in the process of becoming a Reserve Officer with one of them and know a little bit about some of the other departments locally. If you are interested, feel free to email or PM me. I believe City of Charleston does require a 4 yr. degree in most instances. The starting pay reflects that also. It is higher than most of the surrounding agencies, I believe. (I will be out of the area after today until 7/10 and away from a computer, but will be happy to reply when I get back.)

Comment

Thanks for the info. Will have to look in to Anderson County and some other PDs aound Charleston. Andersondeputy How does Anderson County applications pool usely look? Do you get a lot of good app.?
                  NCPDRESOF What depts. around Charleston would be good to look in to?
                  Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I'll have to look some of you up next time I'm out at Fripp Island. If I had to live in SC, i'd love to work for Beafort County Sheriff's Department. I'm impressed everytime I'm out there because there's always an extremely strong police presence there. I can only assume there's always several officers working at any time...

Comment

Greenville county is an awesome dept. You need to talk to SGT. Dave Williams (803)467-5307. Just to let you know Greenville has very high standards, including credit. We train with their SWAT team all the time and they are top notch. Newberry doesn't pay much and it's SLOW (action), Greenville/Spartanburg area is the fastest growing area in the region and their always hopping.
                      Last edited by sert115; 07-04-2005, 02:52 AM.
                      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne The Shootist

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday, does not know what it is today"
                      General Robert E. Lee, at Appomattox, Va

Comment

"Greenville county is an awesome dept. You need to talk to SGT. Dave Williams (803)467-5307. Just to let you know Greenville has very high standards, including credit. We train with their SWAT team all the time and they are top notch. Newberry doesn't pay much and it's SLOW (action), Greenville/Spartanburg area is the fastest growing area in the region and their always hopping."

Sert115- Why call that SGT ? Do u know him? or is a Recruiter? Just asking.
                        As for the high standerds, I have good credit, only one flaw from when I was 16, now 23 so I think that is a good amout of time to get over in. maybe having college will get me in. Idk I have apps all over the darn place so should get to be police office someday. lol. As of right now I have Greenville and Beaufort as my 1st picks if I can get in to one of them.
                        thanks for any info you have and the help
                        Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Greenville County and Greenville City are both exceptional Departments. I am retired from the City. High standards and highly professional. Growing area and a department you can really be proud to be with. Newberry, not so much. Always been pretty much a speedtrap and nothing around there. I of course am prejudiced but I can also say that Greenville is held in high esteem buy all agencies from SC.

Comment

How are marion and Horry county S.O.'s I grew up in the Myrtle Beach area.

Comment

Originally posted by killa75dt
                              you mush be from Charleston area? I think you need a 4 year deg. for Charleston Police Department. I have 70 cedits or something like that. The reason I'm going to put an app. in at Newberry is b/c I went to college their for a year so a know the area, and Beaufort I just love it there well anywhere in SC for that matter. Greenville County is hiring that is all a know about them so i put an app in with them and got the ball rolling. I also see that North Myrtle Beach is taking applications. not too many depts hiring in SC.
                              Unless they've changed, I think NMB is a Public Safety dept. and they require you to be a certified SC LEO & FF. I vacation there several times a year and love the area. I've thought about inquiring about a 2nd career there when I retire from the big city, but I've got no desire to get certified as a hose-dragger. I guess it'll be a bait shop or opening a frozen yogurt stand.

Originally posted by creeder_03
                              How are marion and Horry county S.O.'s I grew up in the Myrtle Beach area.
                              To the best of my knowledge, unicorporated Horry County's primary law enforcement agency is the Horry County PD. The SO runs the jail and courts. They also police the Myrtle Beach Airport. The other depts. are Myrtle Beach PD, North Myrtle Beach Public Safety, Conway PD, and Aynor PD. There's also a little town called Loris, but I don't know if they have a PD. Marion has a county sheriff and a Marion city PD (I know because they stopped me on 76 headed to NMB back in April )
                              Last edited by Groundhog; 07-10-2005, 12:01 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4878 users online. 292 members and 4586 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X