300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis Tennessee..

Just got back from Memphis went with my father to look at some motorcycles, I'm up in north west Arkansas, and man talk about a change of environment. I know Memphis is a pretty big city but the area we went through was pretty shady looking. I even watched a couple black guys walking dwon the sidewalk walk up to the fence to meet another guy who made an "exchange" right in the broad daylight.. I mean damn. I guess I just live in sheltered environment, but I didn't see too many cops around those parts either. Anyone from the area, work there? Thoughts?

You wouldn't want to infringe on their civil liberties would you?

Kelly

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sgkelly
      You wouldn't want to infringe on their civil liberties would you?

I guess not. Talked to a police officer from my city and he went to a training class down there and talked to one of their LT's. He agreed the place is a hell hole.

Comment

I registered just to answer this question. No, not to defend this hellhole of a city, but to agree with you. Memphis is a very poor, very violent city. FBI UCR ranks Memphis as one of the worst in the nation per capita w/ 998 violent incidences per 100,000 people.

The city is full of thugs and a deep hatred toward the police. I have been on for 3 years and work in a very busy precinct (South) on midnight shift. On summer weekends it is not unusual for a few cars to have 20+ calls a night. When we drive by people they spit to show disrespect all the time. When we make traffic stops they spit out of the window as we approach. Yeah, it's fun here.

And, yes, we are very short handed. We haven't hired in a year b/c the city is broke.
        Last edited by MemphisPD; 07-08-2005, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MemphisPD
          I registered just to answer this question. No, not to defend this hellhole of a city, but to agree with you. Memphis is a very poor, very violent city. FBI UCR ranks Memphis as one of the worst in the nation per capita w/ 998 violent incidences per 100,000 people.

The city is full of thugs and a deep hatred toward the police. I have been on for 3 years and work in a very busy precinct (South) on midnight shift. On summer weekends it is not unusual for a few cars to have 20+ calls a night. When we drive by people they spit to show disrespect all the time. When we make traffic stops they spit out of the window as we approach. Yeah, it's fun here.

And, yes, we are very short handed. We haven't hired in a year b/c the city is broke.
          I don't envy you...
          Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Wow, well, you have my respect sir. But why did you apply for? And why are you still there for? I couldn't live in that city much less work as a Police officer. Stay safe.

Comment

Well, the pay is good for one. I will top out this year at around $55K. The cost of living here is cheap. I have a fairly new home 1400 sq. ft. 3br/2ba 2 car garage for $120,000 in a very good neighborhood. No income tax and property tax is about $1000/yr for me b/c I live in the county.

I have some good friends here. I had always planned on applying for a federal agency after 3 years, but I may stay a little longer to get some equity in my home.

It's always something exciting going on at work. I can get into a foot or car chase just about whenever I want. I just have to go to the right neighborhoods for a few hours. I have did just about everything on this job except get into a shoot out. I have arrested people for every felony in the book at least twice.

Comment

Well, the pay is good for one. I will top out this year at around $55K. The cost of living here is cheap. I have a fairly new home 1400 sq. ft. 3br/2ba 2 car garage for $120,000 in a very good neighborhood. No income tax and property tax is about $1000/yr for me b/c I live in the county.

I have some good friends here. I had always planned on applying for a federal agency after 3 years, but I may stay a little longer to get some equity in my home.

It's always something exciting going on at work. I can get into a foot or car chase just about whenever I want. I just have to go to the right neighborhoods for a few hours. I have did just about everything on this job except get into a shoot out. I have arrested people for every felony in the book at least twice.
                Wow, well, I'm happy to see your making out good, not sure if I could still work there though. I think when we went through we were down in the Jackson Avenue area... which to me was pretty ghetto, that may be your safe part of town to you, though, haha.

Comment

dang,,glad i didnt take that job with the rail road police there.

Comment

Try strolling through some parts of Oakland, CA.

Comment

Ok the city of Oakland has 407,000 people and had 5613 violent crime acts
                      the city of Memphis has 653,800 people and had 10,297 violent crime acts

So, yeah, as bad as you think Oakland is Memphis is at least statistically worse.

Comment

pretty shady

My wife and I wanted to see Grace Land on our honeymoon. We were going to stay at the Heart Break Hotel. needless to say We decided to go a little further up the road.

Comment

Detroit is the most dangerous place to be an officer-28 shot and killed in the last 25 yrs.

Las vegas is the safest place to be an officer-1 officer shot and killed in 25 years.

Comment

hehe. I guess I just figured Oakland was more ruff. Appearently I was wrong.

Where's a website for statistics on cities. Population, crime statistics and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
                              Detroit is the most dangerous place to be an officer-28 shot and killed in the last 25 yrs.

Las vegas is the safest place to be an officer-1 officer shot and killed in 25 years.
                              Las Vegas is the safest place to be an officer out of what? Cities exceeding a certain population number? haha because I sure as hell know pleasanton, ca is safer to be an officer in. haha

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5609 users online. 297 members and 5312 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X