Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merline Port-Louis Did Not Have to Die

Merline Port-Louis Did Not Have to Die
    The Domestic Violence Victim Should Have Carried a Firearm for Protection, Not a Panic Button; Learning from this New York Tragedy
    By Malia Zimmerman, 6/29/2005 5:54:13 PM

Malia Zimmerman

While on a business trip in New York City last week, I was distraught over a report on the evening television news about Merline Port-Louis, a young single mother who was threatened, stalked and murdered in mid-June by her estranged boyfriend, Marlon Fann.

She reminded me of women I have known where I live in Hawaii. Women who had similar experiences under similar circumstances -- all who's lives ended violently at the hands of a deranged ex-lover who threatened them, physically attacked them and then ultimately killed them. These innocent victims were prevented by the government from carrying a firearm for protection because they were not living in a state with elected officials or police chiefs who understand or believe in the right America
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

that is a bad situation, i can only imagine how my 4 yr old would feel w/out her mommy,,,but its a danged if you do danged if you dont,,,im all for concealled carry,,,but you cant just have a bunch of scared people running around with a firearm,,huge liabillity...but yeah, its sad.

Comment

That is a shame. Condolences to her family and friends.

"Realizing she forgot something inside her New Cassel home, Port-Louis ran back inside and when she returned to her car moments later, she found herself face to face with Fann. He took out his gun and shot her multiple times."

We could discuss whether or not a weapon could have helped her in that instant for weeks, but I guess we can all agree that it would have been a tool to use. From this article alone, it doesn't seem like there was any time to do anything.

I don't get the panic button? I understand it could tell PD WHO was calling, but they wouldn't know WHERE the call came from, would they? That would require GPS, right? So I guess I don't know how that works, do you guys?

Comment

It probably works a lot like the electonic bracelets except with a button. They said it was in the car. If she had time to get to it she had time to drop the hammer.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Good point, but it is hard to tell from that article if she pushed the button before or after getting shot. From the way it was written, it sounds like the first thing that happened was she was shot, then she reached in the car.

"...Just before she died, Port-Louis reached in the car to push the panic button that hung on her rearview mirror, but the warning to area police did little good. She was dead before police arrived just 5 minutes later, and the elusive Fann was long gone -- he vanished into the dark of the night just as suddenly as he had appeared."

Comment

I predict some lively discussion on this subject.
            My opinion (the short version) is that people should not depend exclusively on others to protect them, and that people should know how to protect/defend themselves. I cringe when I hear about someone picking up a gun as though it has magical powers and can save them if they can just hold it. People should know how to use a range of weapons. That being said, I don't keep my gun close by because I have not used it in so long and I don't keep it on my list of things to use for "what if".

I hope that someone can keep the child safe from Fann. I think if I was a surviving family member it would be Fann who would have to go into protective custody!
            stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

Soleil_nuage.....do you have kids??
              I have gotten even more protective since I had my son
              stay safe and always remember to look up!!

"You've been talking to yourself in the mirror again haven't you ?

chat room

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2961 users online. 163 members and 2798 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X