Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't make too good of grades in high school...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't make too good of grades in high school...

I am getting ready to turn in my applicaton to the police department in the town where I live to try to get a position as a part-time police officer. I already spoke with the chief of police about me wanting this job.

I also told him that I never went to college and don't have any degree.
    He told me that, that wouldn't be a problem. (The chief himself never even graduated from high school and he got hired 2 years ago.)He said if I want I could take some evening courses in criminal justice.

He acted like he was more concerned about me passing the POWER test rather than my past education.

My point here is that on the application it wants to see your high school transcript. I graduated from high school about 15 years ago and at that time I didn't apply myself to make good grades. Some classes I did good in though and some not so good.

When they look at my transcript do you think this will affect the decision made on if they will hire me or not??
    I would hate for my poor grades in high school to affect me getting the job of my dreams.. I really want this job and I KNOW I can do it. I am older now and more mature.
    Please tell me what you think??? Also just curious about the kind of grades you all made in high school and if your grades were mentioned at your interviews.

Thanks so much!!

I screwd off a lot in High School, and though I didn't flunk anything, my grades were pretty poor. I did go on to school afterwards, and while I wasn't a honor student, I did OK. And yes, my grades were mentioned. Luckily, the passing of time made them less relevant. Aren't there any educational requirements in your state? In Wisconsin, you need to haver at least 60 college credits to get and maintain your certification.

I'd say the thing for you to stress is that you have matured since your teen years.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

high school grades

If you were 19-20 yrs. old, those grades might have a bearing. These days, if a department is not requiring college, they are probably more concerned about your work stability and maturity. Make sure you emphasize the fact that you do wish to continue your education. Then, actually enroll in a class, or take an online class to show that you are serious. Good luck.
      Jerry
      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

How is this a General Law Enforcement Topic?

Comment

It sounds like you're looking at a very small department. Given your high school transcripts are 15 years old, they won't, or shouldn't have, nearly the weight they would have if they were more recent. They are what they are, but (hopefully) you've done more with your life since then that would be a far more accurate indication of your work ethic and abilities.

Also, nothing that says you can't take some LE classes at the community college level, both to better prepare yourself and demostrate your interest level!

All this comes from a 34 year vet with 4+ years of college who managed to make it all the way up the ladder to Sergeant in a large (900+ sworn) department! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by savage4presiden
            How is this a General Law Enforcement Topic?

Well, lets see...How is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by OFK
              Well, lets see...How is it not?
              Shouldn't it be in the "ask a cop" forum? Or, better yet, the "job search" forum.
              Last edited by savage4presiden; 06-30-2005, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I can't believe it. With your command of english grammar and all? Shocking.

Comment

Is it possible that we are getting a tad too picky on the details here?

Let's consider lightening up about post locations, content, spelling, and God forbid a Non-LEO posting.

Maybe only Generals should post in the General information area? Or is it information FOR Generals?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer
                    Is it possible that we are getting a tad too picky on the details here?

Let's consider lightening up about post locations, content, spelling, and God forbid a Non-LEO posting.

Maybe only Generals should post in the General information area? Or is it information FOR Generals?
                    Just poking fun...no harm meant.

Comment

Originally posted by apddawg

I can't believe it. With your command of english grammar and all? Shocking.

You mean English, correct?

And the fact that she used the correct form of the word 'to' says a great deal. There were students in my grad school program that couldn't grasp that.

No, I know you are kidding; I was actually referring to someone elses comment about the post being in the wrong spot. In general, things have been tense around here lately. Sorry for the miscommunication.
                      Last edited by Max Fischer; 06-30-2005, 06:47 PM.

Comment

You mean English, correct?

And the fact that she used the correct form of the word 'to' says a great deal. There were students in my grad school program that couldn't grasp that.
                        Point taken about the use of 'too', I commend her for that. I also didn't realize that when referencing a language, it is proper to capitalize the first letter. I wonder how the Chinese do that...

Comment

dang, ya'll is ruff round these parts, juss caus some kant type two good i reckon i need to go too wal marts and getta dicktionary...
                          Last edited by gotthblues; 06-30-2005, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I made it up, it's probably wrong.

Great question about the Chinese. How in the hell am I supposed to sleep tonight with something like that weighing on my mind?

Comment

I made it up, it's probably wrong.

Great question about the Chinese. How in the hell am I supposed to sleep tonight with something like that weighing on my mind?
                              ROFLMAO...good humor now..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5759 users online. 328 members and 5431 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X