300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Down LASD

Deputy Jerry Ortiz of LASD Lakewood station was killed tonight while trying to interview a witness. He was 35yo, married for 3 weeks with children. He had 15 years on the LASD. He was one of my local deputies in my home town here in CA. Please send your prayers for his fellow deputies and his family.

PK
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

R.I.P. Brother. God be with His family.

Comment

Deputy Shot, Killed During Gang Investigation
      Officers Respond To Shooting In Hawaiian Gardens Area

POSTED: 3:51 pm PDT June 24, 2005
      UPDATED: 8:49 pm PDT June 24, 2005

LOS ANGELES -- A Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputy -- a recently married father of two sons -- died after a shooting Friday afternoon in Hawaiian Gardens, according to the sheriff's department.

Home Video
      Video: Sheriff's Department News Conference

Gunfire was reported at about 3 p.m. in the Hawaiian Gardens area during an operation involving a uniformed gang enforcement deputy identified as Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Jerry Ortiz, according to sheriff's officials. The location is about 10 blocks east of the 605 Freeway.

Authorities said a witness called 911 to report the shooting, which occurred after Ortiz knocked on the residence's door, according to the sheriff's department.

Ortiz was shot in the head, said Larry Waldie of the sheriff's department. He was transported in a helicopter to UCLA-Medical Center.

"He was killed, probably instantly, while responding to a gang investigation," Waldie said. "When he knocked on the door to the residence to speak to a woman regarding that investigation, someone came out -- either nearby or from that residence -- and put a bullet through his head. The doctors just told us it was almost instantaneous."

Waldie said Ortiz's wife was at the hospital Friday evening. He said the deputy has two sons, ages 16 and 6.

"He was recently married, about three weeks ago," Waldie said. "He's a man who loved law enforcement and told everyone it's the only thing he ever wanted to do."

Ortiz, 35, was a 15-year member of the sheriff's department. He had been working with the gang enforcement team for the last five years.

Sheriff's department officials initially reported that a second deputy was shot, but authorities later said the responding deputy's injuries were not caused by gunfire. Sheriff's officials said the second deputy was injured when he fell.

That deputy was hospitalized at Tri-Cities Hospital.

A SWAT unit was dispatched to the area near Carson Street and Norwalk Boulevard. Deputies and at least one canine unit also were at the scene.

Residents in nearby homes were moved to safety.

"Our deputy personnel are trying to interview as many people as possible," said a department spokeswoman. "This is a very, very emotional thing for us to deal with -- any time deputy personnel are shot. That said, we have a job to do and we can best serve that deputy by doing our job in the field.

"We know we have an armed and dangerous suspect."

Authorities said they believe they know the identity of the shooter but no suspects have been taken into custody.

Sheriff Lee Baca was at the National Sheriff's Association Conference in Louisville, Ky. He was in contact with sheriff's officials in Los Angeles.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

God bless his family and may his shooter rot in hell.
        "Support Our Troops"

Comment

I'll say prayers for his family. For all you that knew him I'm sorry for your loss. God bless his soul and watch over his family. Another fellow brother lost.

To the shooter: Pack your things, because when we find you, your going to hell.

Comment

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Suspect arrested in shooting death of anti-gang deputy

New, 7:55 a.m. Man on parole for attempted murder is taken into custody after neighborhood search. He wears devil's horns tattooed onto his forehead.
            By The Associated Press

A suspect was arrested late Friday in the death of a 35-year-old sheriff's deputy who was shot earlier in the day as he was interviewing people in a street gang investigation, authorities said.

Deputy Jerry Ortiz had just knocked on a door in the Hawaiian Gardens area and was talking to a woman who lived there when he was shot point blank in the head about 3 p.m., said Undersheriff Larry Waldie.

"Someone came out either nearby or from the residence and put a bullet through his head," Waldie said.

The suspected gunman was identified as Jose Luiz Orozco, 27, who was arrested late Friday, said sheriff's Sgt. Don Manumaleuna.

Photos released by authorities showed Orozco with a shaved head and devil's horns tattooed onto his forehead. His back, arms and chest were also heavily tattooed.

Deputies sealed off streets and searched late into the night for Orozco, who is on parole on a conviction of attempted murder in a separate case, said Deputy Bill Spear.

"This was an assassination of a deputy," Sheriff Lee Baca said. "It was a sudden attack that gave the deputy no chance."

Baca, who had been at a law enforcement conference in Kentucky, immediately left for California. He scheduled a news conference at noon today at his headquarters in Monterey Park.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department had asked the public's help in apprehending him, noting he was considered armed and dangerous.

Ortiz, who was wed about three weeks ago, is survived by his wife and two sons, ages 16 and 6. He was a 15-year veteran of the department and had been a member of its anti-gang unit for the past five years.

Waldie said Ortiz, who had recently returned from his honeymoon, had started work early Friday, which he added was not unusual for him.

Scores of sheriff's deputies who either raced to the scene of the shooting or gathered at a hospital where Ortiz was pronounced dead appeared stunned and distraught.

"He was trying to stop the senseless violence that was the senseless violence that took his life," said sheriff's Sgt. Brian Stover. "Am I angry about that? Yes."

Waldie appeared red-eyed as he spoke to reporters.

In Diamond Bar, where Ortiz lived with his wife and sons, people on his block appeared equally stunned.

"I think there are a lot of people out here who are saddened at the madness we call LA," said neighbor Tom Boyd
            Retired

Comment

I am at a loss for words.....My heart felt sympathies go out to the LASO and all of the depuites families and friends...
              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

hang in there. we are thinking of ya
                Hey Ms. call my peoples yo!

07/03/04
                Officer Brian D. Winder Rest in peace

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                  Deputy Jerry Ortiz of LASD Lakewood station was killed tonight while trying to interview a witness. He was 35yo, married for 3 weeks with children. He had 15 years on the LASD. He was one of my local deputies in my home town here in CA. Please send your prayers for his fellow deputies and his family.

PK

There was no mention of this incident on the news last night.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and his colleagues.

RIP Deputy Ortiz.
                  Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

I saw it on the news as soon as I walked in the door last night around 1700. Luckily I took the 405 home instead of the 605 or it would have taken me an extra hour to get home. They were playing it live on channels 2 & 4 split screen with live action and them taking Deputy Ortiz out in the LASD chopper. As soon as the family made was notified one of the Assistant Sheriffs made the anouncement but you could tell by the video when he was going into the chopper. Another sad day for Law Enforcement. Keep your head on a swivel officers. This summer is starting off bad and getting worse.

Comment

I saw it on the news and heard it on the radio shortly after it happened last night.

His murderer frying in hell somehow doesn't console me either... it's too easy for what he deserves.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. My prayers and thought to the immediate and LE family.
                        "The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose" - Rom 13:4

Comment

Well, I just went down to the memorial wall in front of Lakewood Station. Their was a lot of flowers, some candles, etc. Channel 9 was waiting their for the nightly news. The only thing I saw that I didn't like was the idiot lady out front screaming on a bullhorn and screaming about how the LASD was stalking people with the helicopter. What a freaking looser. Anyway, nice memorial, very sad. They had the flags at half staff and a black band across the badge.

Comment

Semper Fidelis.

Comment

This always saddens me... my prayers are with him.

"Blessed are the peacemakers,
                              For they shall be called sons of God."
                              - Matthew 5:9

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6041 users online. 318 members and 5723 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X