Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen Police Program

[B]Tell me your thoughts please[/B]:

I recently put my 13 year old daughter in the Teen police program on our military base. I had read about it in the local paper; the teen interacts with the MP's twice a week for six weeks. On Tuesdays, the teens go on a LEO related field trip--i.e the Youth Detention Facility, The Forensic Science Lab, the County Courthouse, etc. On Thursdays, each teen goes out on a 4-hour shift with an MP riding around, observing, etc. They, of course have been briefed to follow the MP's commands, like not to get between the MP and the subject under investigation for example. They (teens) wear a bullet proof vest under their uniform (the teen police polo, black pants and shoes), and a road guard vest "teen police".
    Anyway, my child was so angry--she has that similar attitude a lot of teens have about the police--not positive. Bottom line, my intent was for her to gain a sense of respect for authority, some ethical reasoning, and to not be like many of her peers, sitting around waiting for trouble to find them. Am I so wrong? I learned that while she is in a good school system here and makes good to average grades, over 2/3s of her peers have failed the 7th grade. I could go on and on as you can see...
    Nevertheless--she is (my teen) a Teen Police and I pray she gets something out of it and stops believing in the negative urban legends about LEOs

I think that sounds like a great program. More cities should do something like it. It's a shame that youth today have such a negative perception of the police. Teens will do what they want and be right about everything, all the time. It's part of being a teen. We all can only hope it's just a phase and that they outgrow it soon.

Did I mention I'm a teen?

Comment

Forcing your kid to partake in extra curricular activities they don't want to participate will alien your child from you, and make it miserable for those kids who really are interested in the program.

Hating authority at 13 is normal.
      Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
      --------------------
      This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

As an update--she had a real good time on her first patrol with the MP's--except she was really wanting to find me so that I can get pulled over. My friends and I (if at no time else) really have to do the speed limit
        She is ok with it now.

Originally posted by SuperSix5
        Forcing your kid to partake in extra curricular activities they don't want to participate will alien your child from you, and make it miserable for those kids who really are interested in the program.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSix5

Thats part of being a parent. You make your children do things they dont want to do because it is good for them in the long run. If you allways cater to what they do and dont want to do they will never know what it is like in the REAL world. Hell if you dident want to go out on a call that the Lt. sent you to guess what........ Tuff S#*T do it or you wont have a Job. Parenting is training your child for the Real world.

I think the "Teen Police" program is an Excellent Idea.

Comment

My daughter started bugging me about going on a ride along shortly after I went on one. As far as I know, my area doesn't have a teen program like you described, but if they did, she'd be all over it. There are some downsides to having a LE family.. LOL
            STFU! Another great suggestion from the same mind that brought you "Kiss my butt" and "Leave me alone"

Why not?

Comment

Hey if she hates it you can always sent her to summer camp at beautiful Paris Island.

Kelly

We are the thin blue line
              between you
              and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Cadet Lawman Academy

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol along with the Oklahoma State Trooper's Association and the Oklahoma Elk's Major Projects have a program each summer for the past 32 years called Cadet Lawman Academy. Youths between their Junior and Senior year of High School can apply to attend the FREE 1 week long program.

The program is designed as a public relations tool and not as a recruiting tool, but some do end up working in law enforcement. This program is for the good kids and teaches about most all areas of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

For more information visit: www.cadetlawman.com

Comment

Originally posted by abeaty
                  The Oklahoma Highway Patrol along with the Oklahoma State Trooper's Association and the Oklahoma Elk's Major Projects have a program each summer for the past 32 years called Cadet Lawman Academy. Youths between their Junior and Senior year of High School can apply to attend the FREE 1 week long program.

The program is designed as a public relations tool and not as a recruiting tool, but some do end up working in law enforcement. This program is for the good kids and teaches about most all areas of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

For more information visit: www.cadetlawman.com
                  I was apart of the 30th cadet lawman academy and on Jr. Staff of 31st academy. Its one of the greatest experiences of my life. I had a blast the whole week, even while getting smoke by Major Pain wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm very proud that we have this program here because of what it offers. I've met serveral people there, who I now consider my best friends. You get to see a whole LE from the LEO's point of view and get to see a small part of what it takes to be a Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper.

The program is in no way a recuriting tool. I HIGHLY recommend it to any youth or agency looking in to this program. After getting to be apart of the bond there is between cadets, and seeing the bond between troopers. I'm now considering going to OHP after I finish college.

Reading that post brings back tons of memories.
                  Last edited by Netopalis; 06-29-2005, 10:08 PM.

Comment

we have a program called the explorers and it runs though out the country so many departments have it, we are going to go to this comp in TN in january, its really good too...they have fire, EMS, and police and it is done through the boy scouts of america.
                    NCSHP
                    APPLICATION SUBMITTED: June 2008
                    PHYSICAL AGILITY AND WRITTEN:
                    POLYGRAPH:
                    BACKROUND:
                    REVIEW BOARD:
                    PHYSICAL:
                    PSYCHOLOGICAL:
                    ACCEPTANCE LETTER:
                    ACADEMY DATE: NOV 12 2008

Comment

You can find an entire forum down in Equipment for Explorers on this site. Some of our most colorful users are explorers or police cadets.
                      N. A. Corbier
                      Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                      Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3026 users online. 142 members and 2884 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X