300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple labor law question

Ok, This should be an easy one. I'm looking for input from anyone with experience in this area.

After working your regular 40 hours in one week, you go to training that has been approved and/or assigned by the chief.

The academy is approximately one hour away from your home. The training day lasts 8 hours, you return the department issued cruiser to the office, and your day has ended with a total of ten hours including travel time to and from the academy.

Fedael law says that you can not be paid for normal travel time from home to work and back.

Our contract does not offer anything specific regarding pay for travel time.

The officer in this example gets paid for eight hours O.T. Just for the class time.

Note: Traveling in a department car, if you were to get in a accident, would'nt workers comp cover you? If so, are you not "working"?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Keep your head down!

I travel back and forth to work everyday in a take home car and don't get paid for it.
    Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

The officer should be thankful they didn't tell him to drive his own car.
      If you won't stand behind our troops, PLEASE, feel free to stand in front of them.

If you won't get an *** whoopin' with me, you're gonna get one from me---stolen

www.sportbikes.net

Comment

I don't think this is as easy of a question as you may think. You would have to check the labor laws in Maine to find out for sure. I would think that since it is assigned work and you are essentially extended your work hours by 10 hours that you would get paid for the whole time. If you left from the academy going straight home then you wouldn't get paid for the time between the academy and home. This is just an opinion, take it as you will, but that is how it should work. Think of it this way, you come into work and work for 4 hours and they tell you to drive over to the academy and work for 3. With your hour commute your going to be on the clock so it should be the same in this case.

As an aside, if you drove your POV you would be able to deduct milage on your taxes.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

We are not allowed to use our own vehicles because they don't want to pay miliage.
          Keep your head down!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5924 users online. 348 members and 5576 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X