Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shooter1201
    O.com's #2 trouble maker
    • Feb 2001

Actually, Bram Stoker DIDN'T write the book(Dracula)....his PLAY was based on a story by Lord Byron, written the SAME weekend he, Percy Shelly and Mary (Wollstonecraft)Shelly gathered together.

That weekend gave 'birth' to the two most famous 'monsters' of all time: 'Dracula' and 'Frankenstein'....
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• blondie72
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2000

On the topic of vampire myths seeming to grow 'indepedently', in different lands: I do believe that prehistoric cultures were more seafaring than we generally give them credit for.

I watched a documentary about how high levels of cocaine were found in ancient Egyptian mummies. This would indicate that they had contact with the Americas.

I also heard about a seafaring culture, that lived in New England, about 7000 years ago.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: blondie72 ]
      [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

• Jim Burnes
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2001

[This would indicate that they had contact with the Americas.

I also heard about a seafaring culture, that lived in New England, about 7000 years ago.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: blondie72 ][/QB][/QUOTE]

The poppy from which that drug is derived is grown in the Middle East and was under their political influence at the time.

Regards that seafaring nation: It's still there

Jim Burnes

Comment

• goodgirl
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2000

Anyone that has read (and enjoyed) the Anne Rice books about vampires can understand the attraction

Dracula was a joke but I wouldn't mind Lestat taking a nibble
          "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

• blondie72
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2000

Posted by Jim: "Regards that seafaring nation: It's still there"

That's right.

I was just at the page for "The Mystery of the Lost Red Paint People". The documentary looks fascinating, I'm going to order it.
            [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

• kheya
              Resident Shrink
              • Jun 2000

Sigh...Lestat.....Anne Rice can really write 'em...

k
              My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it is gone.

Comment

• Don
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2000

Actually the vampires came about along about the same time the attorneys did. Hmmmm, I wonder. . .
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

• shooter1201
                  O.com's #2 trouble maker
                  • Feb 2001

"Actually the vampires came about along about the same time the attorneys did. Hmmmm, I wonder. . ."

...and 'William' had it right then, too.....
                  "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                  -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

• klar
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2000

It is also said that in ancient times the civilization of Atlantis was a advanced society that was able to do amazing things before it sank under the oceans. That city that once thrived is now at the bottom of the black sea when the land gave way to the medetranian and a great flood appeared. IT could easily be drawn to this time that the myth of a vampire was spread across the world. There are more than a few accounts of flying objects (planes) back in the age of Atlantis. But this is all my opinion.

Klar
                    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

• sub-inspector
                      Forum Member
                      • Sep 2000

A few ghost tales from India.

We have some vampires, who are supposed to way lay lone travellers, asking for various misc. items. Now they all would be really beautiful, and generally tempts the traveller to her house. As soon as he reaches the house, the vampire reveals its true self. The traveller also realises that he is not in a house, but on a palm tree's top (These vampires are supposed to be staying here). Soon, the traveller is eaten up by the vampire. The way to escape this vampire is to carry a Hindu holy book (I don't know why, Bible and Quran does not qualify) close to your heart.

Another myserty in recent history was a man with Buffalo's legs This fellow would stop late night travellers and ask for a cigarette. Then he accidentally drops the match box, and asks the other chap to pick it up. The man bends down and to his shock he finds that the cigaratte smoker has buffallo's legs. This mystery was soon cracked by a young SI, who did not panic but apprehended the prankster.
                      Sub-Inspector of Police
                      -------------------------
                      Blessed be the Peace-Makers,
                      for they are Gods Children

-------------------------

Comment

• WHC166
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2000

I live in the night and sleep in the day....does that qualify me as a vampire?!?!?!

Comment

• Blonde Heat
                          Forum Member
                          • Jan 2001

Yep!
                          "To each his own"

Comment

• klar
                            Forum Member
                            • Mar 2000

Dang it that means I am a vampire too then. Wait no I did see the sun for a few moments today does that mean I am or not?

Klar
                            Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

• blondie72
                              Forum Member
                              • Sep 2000

In order to properly qualify as a vampire, one must burst into flame, when one comes into contact with sunlight.

Comment

• Jim Burnes
                                Forum Member
                                • Jan 2001

Well, to make a fine point: Recent TV shows allow real Vampires access to daylight if they wear cool looking shades.

I have seen these shows myself and can confirm that the Vampires sporting cool shades did not burst into flame (at least not in my view).

Jim Burnes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17686 users online. 34 members and 17652 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...