Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countywide police-what do you think?

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20021203/1029772.asp

I posted this in general topics so I can get opinions from everyone. As you can see from this article, the Buffalo mayor wants a countywide police to save money. What do you all think?

County police are the norm - not the exception - in this area of Baltimore. Howard County, Baltimore County, PG County, etc., all have county-wide police departments.

Comment

http://www.officer.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001192

it's a good idea.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by C in a J:
        County police are the norm - not the exception - in this area of Baltimore. Howard County, Baltimore County, PG County, etc., all have county-wide police departments.

I don't see the point of why they do it there (do the sheriffs not police unincorporated areas of counties?). I like the idea of county-wide forces as they exist in Lexington-Fayette, KY or in Jacksonville, FL. In these places, there is just ONE agency that serves everyplace in the county. It's not just another police department to supplement municipal departments.

If the idea is to reduce the amount of agencies in the county from five or six to just one, I think it's a good idea. If the idea is to just create a new department in addition to the departments that are already present, I don't see much of a point.

I'm sure one large department would be better than several smaller ones. With funding put together, there will probably be more money available for good equipment and better pay for officers.

[ 12-03-2002, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: PatrickM98 ]

Comment

P01ic3m4n, I didn't realize there was a post with this topic, thanks for pointing it out. The Buffalo Cops are looking at an 8,000 dollar salary cut. i just can't see it happening.

Comment

quote:
            I don't see the point of why they do it there (do the sheriffs not police unincorporated areas of counties?).
            Pat, in most counties here (and Baltimore city), the sherrifs department is only responsible for transfer of prisoners and serving of papers. I don't think there are very many - if any - unincorporated areas of most of the counties between DC and Baltimore.

quote:
            In these places, there is just ONE agency that serves everyplace in the county. It's not just another police department to supplement municipal departments.

Let me try to clarify a bit. Using Howard County as an example, there are, I believe, five agencies with jurisdiction ... they are:

Maryland State Police

MTA Police

Howard Co. Sheriff's Department (transport prisoners, court security, paper serving)

Howard County Police Department

I believe that Laurel also has its own police force, but Laurel extends into three or four counties, and is quite large.

In Harford County (northeast of Baltimore), there is a county wide Sherrif's department, and local sherrif's departments in Bel Air and Havre de Grace (and possibly more that I'm unaware of).

When you get out towards the Shore, you find a lot of local jurisdictions with the State Police handling unincorporated areas (I believe).

[ 12-04-2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: C in a J ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4383 users online. 309 members and 4074 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X