Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga Court Strikes Down Rule......

Ga. Court Strikes Down Unmarried Sex Law

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Georgia Supreme Court struck down a 170-year-old law that made it a crime for unmarried people to have sex.

The ruling Monday came in the case of a 16-year-old boy discovered having sex with his girlfriend in the bedroom of her home. The young woman's mother made the discovery.

"Our opinion simply affirms that ... the government may not reach into the bedroom of a private residence and criminalize the private, noncommercial, consensual sexual acts of two persons legally capable of consenting to those acts," Chief Justice Norman Fletcher wrote.

Under Georgia law, the age of consent is 16.

Fletcher also wrote that nothing in the ruling should be read to address parents' rights "to regulate what occurs inside their home, including who enters their house and under what circumstances."

Fornication laws remain on the books in about 10 states and the District of Columbia. Courts have struck down such statutes in Florida, Virginia and New Jersey.

Following his conviction, Jesse McClure, now 17, was ordered to pay a fine and write an essay explaining why he should not have had sex. He wrote that it wasn't the court's business.

"Invading personal privacy just isn't right," McClure said Monday. "It now goes that way for everybody."

In 1998, the state Supreme Court overturned an anti-sodomy law, ruling it violated the Georgia Constitution's guarantee of a right to privacy.

Hey TG....Wanna go to GA?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
    Thomas Jefferson

Jason-
    Only if you promise to wear your whites and whisper in Italian...y'see I have this fantasy... [Wink]
    TG

[ 01-15-2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Traffic_Goddess ]

Comment

I think that if fornication laws were actively enforced, everyone would have an arrest record.

Mine wouldn't be too long, but it would still be there.
      RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

TG,

I wore it to PT this morning. Ran 7 miles in it. Works out great.

So then we're on for Georgia huh?
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

THAT'S A RELIEF!

I broke that law in 1995 and 1996...

I was just waiting for the statue of limitations to expire...I guess I can go back to using my real name sooner than I expected.
          People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

Wow -no wonder when I run myself on NCIC I keep coming up "WANTED IN GA. "-thought it was for pinching the waitressess in the Waffle House-Now I just figured it out-It was from my Military days with all dem' unmilitary woman-WAHOO!!! If you can recognize me under them Foster Grants -I'll get a different pair!!! [Wink]
            Big-T Coming Thru A friend will bail you out when you get locked-up. A buddy will be sittin' next to ya in the cell saying "man we really F'd up"!!

Comment

Whew.. hope Maryland doesn't have a silly law like this [Wink]
              No partner is worth your tears -
              the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by NavyFiveo:
                TG,
                So then we're on for Georgia huh?

Jason-
                You name it, I'll be there!
                Your TG

Comment

I'm not saying anything, all the appeals aren't exhausted and the statute of limitations isn't up.

Raychel: Apparently, you can do anything you want in Maryland as long as it doesn't involve gun ownership, so you should be ok.

Comment

Jason-
                    I'm supposed to ask you about 13 buttons????LMAO
                    Io sono non detto pu

Comment

Yeah...The famous 13 buttons. Tha't about the only thing about the navy that I hate. The 13 button dress blue pants. You would thnk that since we are the greatest, most powerful Navy in the world, our sailors would have to dress like a bunch of fags. For those of you who are politically correct, you may replace "fags" with the words "person of the homosexual persuasion".

buon girno a tutti!
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Okay...wear the whites...
                        about that fantasy.... [Wink]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4505 users online. 316 members and 4189 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X