300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of the "Big City" I live in

Here we go! Some photos of the are I live in and patroled in when I was a Resident Officer. The first is the area of the "road" I would take from Sandy Valley (Where I live) to get to any calls I would get in one of the canyons on the "backside" of Mt. charleston or in the community of Mt. Springs.
    http://www.schweich.com/imagehtml/1440-63.html

The second is a view down into the valley from Wilson Pass road, or as we called it, The Drunk Road. All the old drunks would take it from the Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings back to Sandy figuring the cop wouldn't be on it. 99.9% of the time they would be correct.

Wilson Pass Road

All of the rest of the photos connected to these pages, with the exception of the couple of California photos were in my sector. Of course, we were known to take a few minor calls on the California side under those extra-legal judicial powers we were granted as the response time for a California Deputy on some occassions would be measured in days instead of minutes. (Not a slam folks, just the reality of the geography)

Looks like I goofed on the second one. Will try it again. If I goof again, follow links to Kingston Rd. The have a nice shot of Goodsprings in there too; our sister city some 12 miles to the East. They're the urban community. We're more rural.

http://www.schweich.com/imagehtml/00...1_0700_38.html

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: DesertRat ]

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: DesertRat ]

Holy smoke, how do write a report for motor vehicle / gila monster accident? That is the boonies brother.

Comment

Now that gives me a place to build anice retreat where I can get away from it all and build a tower fortress with a moat and drawbridge. Oh what are the rules down there for ranged weapontry?

Klar
      Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

It sure don't get much more boonified than that...dang! That second road would be like heaven for me...my guess is instead of 99.9% of the time not seeing me there it would be the other way around!

Comment

I just have one question for you DR. Why did you give up being a resident deputy there the first time? Seems like heaven to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecOpsWarrior:
            I just have one question for you DR. Why did you give up being a resident deputy there the first time? Seems like heaven to me.
            That is a really long story, but, in a nut shell, my wife had to go back to work and we still had a pre-schooler at the time,(along with a pregnant 17 year old with a worthless POS husband that hasn't held a job for more than two weeks since she married him, but that is an entirely different thread) so the callouts and odd hours became a nightmare. As you can see from the photos, it's not like quality day care is right next door. I'm now making topped out pay instead of 2nd year pay, the wife is home again, and all the kids are at least semi-self sufficient so I'm sure hoping they give me another shot at it. My application is in. There will be two opening off this list due to retirements and from what I'm hearing of who applied, there are three good candidates so I'm hoping for the best. The big advantage I have is 1) having worked the position already and not screwing it up I'm a known factor. 2) I live in the most remote location compared to the other two. We just had a domestic violence related homicide here a few months ago and the women's groups in town are putting on a lot of pressure to more officer closer to these far flung rural communities. Their arguements are irrelevent to logic, but their timing is perfect for me.

The other two guys that have a shot are very sharp though. One also has prior resident experience but in a different District. The other is coming out of Narcotics working a meth team and his background would be invaluable out here. I haven't met him, but hear he is a he!! of a nice guy too. He live in the North end of the distric though which is where almost everybody else already lives. I'm hopng it ends up being me and him. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by klar:
              Oh what are the rules down there for ranged weapontry?

Klar
              As long as the shells don't land on someone else's property or kill any of Dick's range cattle your OK. Bo used to train the Afgahns out here all the time

Comment

Wow!, That looks like the stretch of highway between where i live and Don used to live. Minus some red rocks and dirt, And also some huge hole in the ground that floods every so often during monsoon season. Don, do you agree?

DR, It is quite beautiful.
                "To each his own"

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat:
                  Of course, we were known to take a few minor calls on the California side under those extra-legal judicial powers we were granted as the response time for a California Deputy on some occassions would be measured in days instead of minutes. (Not a slam folks, just the reality of the geography)

I will have to say that you are right on here DR! And some of those calls were NOT so minor in nature. I remember one night the Shoshone deputy was out of the area. I had a prisoner and was half way up Argus Grade when dispatch notified me of a plane crash in Sandy Valley, in our county.

I requested Metro respond because I still had to go all the way to Independence with my prisoner. Turned out to be a load of dope. . .

I never did get on scene with that one, but I believe the Shoshone deputy was finally located and did go out there.

I can sure understand why you want to go back! It beats the heck out of continual hassel of the city, even though the call outs, with no back up get to be old too!
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

Originally posted by ftrphxcop:
                    some huge hole in the ground that floods every so often during monsoon season.
                    We have that too. One of those links goes to a picture entitled driving out of Lovell wash or something like that. There is one section of that road that, as you go North out of Sandy suddenly drops into the wash at about a 45 degree angle, then makes a 90 degree left turn at the bottm of the drop off and follows the wash a few feet. It then curves to the right and climbs out of the wash onto State Rt. 160. I'm betting Don has actually driven that road before. It turns into a river everytime it rains and the 22 mile drive to Mt. Spings turns into a 70 mile trip through Vegas. It was a hoot because at least 3-4 times a year we'd get some yuppified granola eating city folk with their new sport utility doing about 30-35 and then find themselves airborne into the desert.

Comment

Yes, I have driven that road! It was far quicker than coming in "the back way" through the Kingstons!

And yes, Ftrphx, I do agree!
                      6P1 (retired)

Comment

KEwl I can handle that The shells I will be using are not man made I will be tossing large stone boulders if you will from my newly built catapult that is upon the top of my fortress.

Klar
                        Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

KEwl I can handle that The shells I will be using are not man made I will be tossing large stone boulders if you will from my newly built catapult that is upon the top of my fortress.

Klar
                          A catapult is good. Personally, I went with mounted, automated crossbows but heh, to each his own. As long as you have a moat and a drawbridge you'll fit right in.

Comment

Ballista are nice and all but they take too long to reload. This is why I went with the catapult it is both manoveurable and has a greater range ability. Hmmm I am also going to install water heaters to the moat to keep the phirrana nice and healthy. Oh is there any law about the use of booby traps on the inside of your grounds?

Klar

Comment

Oh is there any law about the use of booby traps on the inside of your grounds?

Klar
                              I hope not or we're all in trouble.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2882 users online. 203 members and 2679 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X