Clear All

• Re: My daughter's problem...

I did a bit of digging and found this:

Protecting Students from Harassment and Hate Crimes

A Guide for Schools

U. S. Department of Education

National Association of Attorneys General

January 1999

"Harassment may encompass a range of harmful conduct, from the most violent crimes to episodes of vandalism or persistent and abusive name-calling among school students that may DEPRIVE STUDENTS OF EQUAL EDUCATIONAL OPORTUNITIES. If ignored, harassment can jeopardize students' academic achievement, undermine their physical and emotional well-being, provoke retaliatory violence, damage the school's reputation, and exacerbate community conflicts."

Can you say 'civil rights violations'?

Hmmm.....
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

You go Shooter! and rack em a good one. Make sure you print it out and send a copy with your letters. Did your daughter get to see a Dr? And is she ok?
    "To each his own"

Comment

Shooter,
      Nail their harassing butts to the wall!
      "Why is it that our children cannot read the Bible in school, yet they can in prison?"

Comment

I'm NOT believing this!!!

The school's 'official' stance on my daughter's problem is that 'they don't know WHAT to do, so they will do nothing.....for now.'

The 'UNofficial' stance is that 'Since my wife and I are teachers, we should EXPECT our daughter to be intimidated, harassed, bullied, assaulted, etc...and ignore it.'

Do you know what the HARD part of this is? Sitting in the office, watching my daughter cry as she details to the principal what is happening, trying to make him understand the fear and desperation she is feeling....and KNOWING that the POS hasn't got a clue!

"When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

Shooter,
          Nothing surprises me anymore. NO ONE should expect any abuse whatsoever. Can your attorney light a fire under their butts? YOu might also want to get your daughter to a counselor for a bit. She's being very traumatized by all this.

Comment

Can the school do nothing? i'm pretty sure the schools in my county are required by law to take some sort of action, even if it's merely looking into the complaints lodged...
            Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Unforunatley, from personal experience, unless your daughter is a member of a protected group, it will be difficult to get the 'people' at the school, or the authorities to do anything. In my case I had to settle for just telling the school official to 'have a nice day'.

What they did to my son was four playful students took hold of him, one per leg/arm, and spread eagled him. Them in a very playful fashion, they ran his crotch into a flag pole several times. The principal said it was called 'poling' and it was just a prank. Nothing needed to be done, nor could the police act I was told, because the friendly youngsters were under age, and the fact that the school would not tell the names of the youngsters.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Mike Sullivan ]

Comment

I'm NOT believing this!!!
                The school's 'official' stance on my daughter's problem is that 'they don't know WHAT to do, so they will do nothing.....for now.'

The 'UNofficial' stance is that 'Since my wife and I are teachers, we should EXPECT our daughter to be intimidated, harassed, bullied, assaulted, etc...and ignore it.'

I can't believe this either! BS! What does their Discipline Plan say about incidents like this? Sounds like they don't know what to do because of some pressure from higher up? Just a guess, I see it here, even with a discipline plan in place. 'Unofficial' stance because you two are teachers, there has to be some understanding that this is 'expect' to happen? Unreal.

Hope your daughter gets through this, I'm sure she will with your support. Good luck!
                "Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you."

Comment

The FIRST attorney I contacted said he had a 'conflict' and won't take the case. The 2nd attorney hasn't returned my calls. I called TEA(Union) and informed them....they'll get back to me. Yeah, riiiight....

I made an appointment to see the superintendent tomorrow AM. Any advice on how to present this ordeal to him in a manner that he canNOT misunderstand would be appreciated.

Comment

Yes.. look up similiar lawsuits.. such as ones where schools have failed to protect students. There was just one in Florida I believe involving a gay student who was being harrassed and the school LOST. If they dont care enough about your daughter to do something.. perhaps talk of a lawsuit will push them to action.
                    No partner is worth your tears -
                    the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

OK...so I finally get in to see the Superintendent. Things are gonna start happening now, riiight? WRONG! 'What, exactly is it you expect me to do, Mr. ....?'

Jeeeeez.....

Comment

I don't understand why those girls can't be charged with a CRIME for deliberately neglecting to make any attempt to catch your daughter. If a group of adults did that outside of a school setting it would be crime, wouldn't it? I'm not saying I'd charge them, but I'd think those involved should take the matter very seriously.

Frankly, the only way this school is going to act is if they are afraid they are going to be slapped with a lawsuit. Keep looking for a lawyer.

Another good reason to homeschool.

Comment

Another thing, maybe you've already answered this, but how does your daughter feel about the whole thing now? Does she want to continue facing these girls, or would she rather get out of the setting? I don't think she should to be made to feel like she'd be caving in if she gets out. If you know she feels that way, then maybe you should step in as her father and let her know that it is your responsibility to protect her, and YOU want her out of there. That way she can blame you rather than feeling like SHE is a wimp. Are there private coaches/teams you could place her in? If there is a serious threat to her emotional or physical health, and she wants out (try to find out what she is really feeling, not just what she is telling you), then I'd get her out. There are private schools, or homeschooling, at least until the situation is resolved. Schools generally don't like you to take your child away from them, so maybe beginning that process will motivate them to do something.

Thalia Moser, homeschooling mom of 10, so far

Comment

I would have been surprised if the administration had acted any differently.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: Sparky ]
                            -Sparky

Comment

For the record, I showed the POS Superintendent a copy of the county's student conduct code. It positively prohibits the behavior being exhibited against my daughter, but since *I'm* not an 'important parent', it apparently doesn't apply. His comment? 'What's this...?'

My daughter wants to finish out this sememster then transfer. She has an appointment with an adolescent counselor Monday(for legal purposes).

I have a Masters in Administration/Supervision, myself. All I can say is that *IF* I ever make it to an administrative position, THIS type of nonsense will NOT be allowed to happen in my school.

One small bit of 'pleasure' can be derived from all this: I know what the parties involve drive, and they DO frequent my jurisdiction.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6075 users online. 329 members and 5746 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X