300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Tried the Atkins Diet?

HA! I lasted a whole 2.5 days. I want to lose about 10 lbs. so I thought I would try this new low-carb lifestyle. Yeah right, I was freakin' sick by the 3rd day that I had to quit. It wasn't worth it. Even though I lost 4 lbs. It wasn't worth it to be lightheaded and have zero energy.
    Dance like no one's watching -- Sing like no one's listening, and work like you don't need the money.

I seem to have had more success with the Dr Mirkin diet. He has a book called Fat Free, Flavor Full.

I lost 8 pounds in two weeks. You wont have to feel hungry.

It has alot to do with cleaning the stuff out of your house. You can "cheat", as long as you stick to the diet for 19 or 20 of the 21 meals you eat each week.

So you can eat a BLT if you want, for one of your meals. But you have to go out and get it. Because if you want one at home, you know your going to get a pound of bacon and once you eat the BLT, you're going to eat the rest of the bacon. Just "so it wont go to waste."

Comment

I have used it several times,and it is the only thing that has worked for me. I went back on in Jan, and now 7 weeks later, I am down 15 lbs.

Like quitting smoking, the first couple weeks are the toughest. During this induction phase, your body is switching over to burning stored fat, rather than ingested carbs. Stick with it, and after a couple weeks, you will feel very energetic.

Since you called it a 'lifestyle', it sounds like you've read the book, but if not, get it and do it right. Just remember water, lots of water.
      Dave Kiefner
      [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

I did, and when I finally broke the diet I ate corn chips for 3 consecutive hours.
        It was disturbing and quite messy..

heh..
        m*m

Comment

Yeah, I read the book and it all made sense to me, but I couldn't even get out of bed on Wednesday (the 3rd day)-- by 11am I wanted to take a nap! I don't know...I would rather lose the weight more slowly and feel better than lose a bunch of it and feel icky. I think that some people can do this -- I just need to watch my carb intake and I think I can do this without going cold-turkey.

quote:
          I did, and when I finally broke the diet I ate corn chips for 3 consecutive hours.
          It was disturbing and quite messy..

LOL -- I wanted a bowl of cereal so bad! and it was 230 in the afternoon. That's what I ate and Ohhhh was it ever good!
          Dance like no one's watching -- Sing like no one's listening, and work like you don't need the money.

Comment

I spent the last 12 months trying to eat a low-carb Atkins type diet and all it got me was tons of headaches and a 15 pound weight GAIN! [Eek!]

2 weeks ago I went back to carbs at every meal and just counting calories, and I've lost 4 pounds already (and have had NO headaches).

On the other hand, my dh started Atkins 2 weeks ago and has lost 7 pounds. (Of course he is tired, and constipated, and has had a few headaches, but he is losing.)

Comment

My husband has been on the Atkins diet for 4 months now. He's lost 7 lbs. If you are not the type of person with a lot of body fat to lose (obese), this diet is probably more of a nuisance and you're just depriving yourself of some really good healthy low fat fruits and vegetables and other healthy things that HAVE carbohydrates in them.

My husband is like 10% body fat. No wonder he's wasting his time. What he needs is to target certain areas with exercise, not eat tons of grease. But...who am I to tell him he's wasting his time?!
              "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by AutumnAngel:
                I just need to watch my carb intake and I think I can do this without going cold-turkey.

I think you said it right there... if you only need to lose 10 pounds, you dont need the strict Atkins diet. you might even want to try substituting SlimFast for 2 meals a days. i like the vanilla powder, and i put fruit (sometimes frozen) in the blender with it. it's actually very filling and tastes great. also, add a half hour walk every day to your routine, if you dont do it already.

I'm now on the Atkins, and modified it with a little more carbs. like one bread a day, maybe a hamburger roll or whole wheat soft tortilla. and also fruit and veggies. it works great for me, i've lost 28 pounds. when i reach my goal, i plan on just eating a more healthy diet PERIOD, with not TOO many carbs.

You do need to drink lots of water on the plan, and get some exercise.

[ 06-26-2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Well I guess I will be the one to praise the plan. I lost 27lbs in 3 months on the Adkins diet and have made a serious lifestyle change at least the way I eat. I'm not on the diet anymore per say but my eating habits are changed to the point that I just dont eat as much as I use to. You do have to be disciplined to do this diet for the first month.
                  Always remember Fallen heroes Jay Carruth and David Ezernack. Shot to death FEB 2003 in a SWAT warrant served. My friends you are not forgotten.

Comment

If you want to try a good diet/workout program get the book "Body For Life." Basically you eat 6 small meals a day of equal protein and carbs, and twice a day you have to eat a helping of veggies. You work out on an empty stomach, and every Sunday is a free day (eat what you want, as much as you want, and no exercises). My dad lost 5 lbs the first week, my mom 4 lbs, my wife 4 lbs, and me 6 lbs. The book is written by Bill Phillips and Michael D'Orso.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/letter_from_bill.shtml
                    Stay Safe and God Bless America.
                    Psycho C/O.

Comment

That Body-for-Life sounds interesting. i like the idea of a free day ... i checked the website and it makes sense to show your body that its not starving, also.

Do you know if you have to buy the book, or is most of the info available on-line? (i only had time to briefly check the website)
                      "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I'm interested in Body for Life too. Please tell me it is NOT a low carb diet. I can't live with the headaches. Does he lay out an actual menu for you? Or do you count calories? Or avoid certain foods or what? My doctor has suggested the Zone Diet (5 or 6 meals/snacks a day, all carefully balanced with carbs, fat, and protein), but it is so complicated figuring out what to eat, I've never made it past the first week.

Comment

The Body For Life is a plan that lets you eat carbs and protein. Here is the basics, Get up in the morning, exercise according to the daily schedule, 1 hour after exercising you have breakfast. One portion of carbs (equal to the size of your palm, and the thickness of your hand, you also need to eat a protein the same size, along with two 8oz glasses of water. 2 hours later it's snack time, same as Breakfast or you may supplement with a Myoplex shake. 2 hours later, lunch, Protein, carb, veggie and more water. 2 hours later snack time again, food or shake again. 2 hours later dinner time (same as lunch, protein, carb, veggie, and water. 2 hours later snack time again. You follow the diet/workout for 6 days, then you have a free day. Mon. start over again. you will never be hungry, it is actually difficult to eat that many times per day, I use the shakes for my snacks, they don't taste great, but not horrible either. A friend of mine is on this, after 6 months she has lost 80+ pounds. Hope this helps some. The info you will need is in the book, it gives you examples of foods, and exercise routines. I bought mine at Costco for $15.00, at the book store they are $24.95. If you need more info please feel free to PM me.

[ 03-09-2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Psycho C/O ]
                          Stay Safe and God Bless America.
                          Psycho C/O.

Comment

I wanted to bump this post up since the diet has been in the news a lot lately. I've lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks doing the Atkins diet. The first 3 or 4 days were the toughest. It has been a breeze since then, although I have become addicted to Cool Whip and sugar-free jello.
                            "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Way to go Badgerland!!! That sounds great and is very encouraging. I'm actually 80% done reading the Atkins book and am planning out meals and exercise for the coming week. Keep up the good work and I hope to have similar good news in the coming weeks!
                              Never, Never, Never Give Up!
                              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2929 users online. 235 members and 2694 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X