300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I scared someone last night, methinks

Driving back from Nashua, I took a long cut over Monadnock Mountain. I usually drive straight through, and though I'm not totally unfamiliar with the road, I don't know it well or anything.

It's a rural area, speed limits alternating depending on terrain. It ranges anywhere from 40 to fifty.

Honestly, I thought I was in a 45...night and I missed the sign. Be that as it may, when I went by the cruiser, the HUD said 51.

It was a narrow road; I pulled far over to the right, flashers on, dome light on, engine off, hands on steering wheel. As usual, my 92 is on my hip.

That's when the weird started; two flashlights appeared in the rear-view mirror. I instantly assumed rookie and FTO.

The younger officer introduced himself and asked why if I knew why I was pulled over. I said "I'm guessing speed...I was going 51, it's a 45."

"You were going 51...it's a forty."

My mistake. I didn't argue, and I'm not going to make excuses.

"Do you have your license and registration?"

"I do...officer, I also have a firearm on my right hip that I would like to transfer to you. My permit is on my wallet. Do you want that now?"

His eyes shot to the other officer, who immeaditaly moved around to get a better look at me. My hands were still on the steering wheel, and I looked straight ahead. After a moment he said "yes," and telling him what I was going to do in advance I handed him my pistol, two fingers on the grip. The FTO took it and disappeared to the rear.

The rest of the stop was routine...except that the younger officer's hands never stopped shaking. I feel so bad for the poor guy...I doubt he was expecting to do that on what could have been one of his first stops! I also doubt he was a New Hampshire native; he wasn't familiar with the older style of licenses (mine expires in 2003...they changed them a week after mine was issued) and hence probably wasn't used to the gun-totin red-necks that hide out in the woods around here. I have this nightmare image of the poor guy going home, or seeing his life flash by his eyes...

I hope he doesn't quit... [Frown]
    I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

quote:
    Originally posted by Lictalon:
    I have this nightmare image of the poor guy going home, or seeing his life flash by his eyes...

I hope he doesn't quit...

If that is all it takes to scare him, then he doesn't have any business in this job......

You probably did him a favor.
    "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

Comment

You "transferred" the gun to them? Huh?

Mike
      "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

Mike:
        My way of saying I handed it over. Sorry; sometimes I find myself incapable of phrasing a simple sentence.

Comment

I understood that, I was just suprised that they wanted to see it. I've been stopped once and FIed once with mine on, and in both cases I warned the officer ahead of time and he didn't want to see it. I told them I had a permit and they really didn't seem very concerned about the gun. In your case, I assume the officer that took it back to the patrol car was running the SN, but do they really think they're going to find a stolen gun carried by someone with a permit?

Mike
          "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

Well, it's good practice for the rookie to run SN and to react to CCW. The one time I've been stopped, here in Oklahoma, the guys didn't get overly interested in my pistol.

But even so, if a person is carrying, the officers have got to be so advised with no delay at all.

Not advisng the officer is in itself a violation.

Jim Burnes

Comment

Oregon doesn't require you to notify the officer, but obviously it's a good idea. I'd hate to see the wrath of an officer that happened to see the gun without me having warned him first.

Mike

Comment

Speaking from expirence here: Let the officers know instantly that you have a weapon (on you or in the vehicle). If the officer sees the pistol or maybe feels it on you, and you have not forewarned him or her, you will not be handled nicely.

There were several instances in Texas and in Fort Lewis, WA when I confiscated weapons for that very reason.

Jim Burnes

Comment

New Hampshire does not require a CCW holder to inform the officer.

It also allows a CCW to carry a weapon into a school.

It also allows any citizen to carry openly anywhere, barring a federal property.

Obviously New Hampshire law respects the 2nd...

Obviously it would be a lousy idea to do any of the above (under most circumstances).

I always tell the officer. I always hand it over as well, with teh exception of the local PD, who know me at this point and them I tell and follow their directions.

I don't think the gun was the issue so much as the poor guy just wasn't expecting it. I suppose it's a good lesson; one in ten NH citizens have a permit, and there are over 100,000 FFL holders in the state...we like our weapons of mass destruction... [Wink]

Note to MikeTx: We're also the safest state in the nation...

Nor do I think I really did anything wrong; The FTO made a slight dig at me when he handed it back, telling me to "Check the safety" before I took it. I handed it to them unsafe because that's how I carry it; I think of the safety as a decocker, nothing more. A goof on my part, I'll admit.

No, what I really worry about is that rookie having a really bad night. Ken has an excellent point, but still...

Ah well. Welcome to New Hampshire...now go home.

Comment

Live Free or Die...

If NH was on the west coast I think I'd move to it. Of corse so would half of California, and once they started voting you wouldn't be free anymore.

Oregon CHLs allow the holder to carry anywhere but courthouses and federal property. I don't have reason to go to schools very often, but I wouldn't take it off if I did. The only time I take if off that I'm not required to is in bars.

Mike

Comment

Texas requires the CHL holder to notify the officer IF the holder is carrying, and in addition to handing over the license the holder must also hand over the CHL.

I have not had an officer ask for the weapon. I always advise where it is located.

It is not common, but happens when I am sitting a surveillance, someone calls the police.

I use to call the dispatcher wherever I was going to be set up, but they always dispatch the officer anyway. And officers never were told I was there.
                      "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

You didn't actually get a speeding ticket did you?
                        Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

Oregon Mike: I work in a school...that's the only reason. I'm worried about job repercussions, not legal ones. [Wink]

If NH was on the west coast, then it would be ideal. The nine months of winter (woohoo! One down!) get a little hard to deal with...

Fastie: No, I didn't actually recieve a ticket. I think he was impressed with my forthright honesty (how many people tell you exactly how fast they were going?) my straight, unambigous replies, my politeness, and the threat of an RPG in the trunk.

I almost forgot that part. The rear suspension is gas, and there's an air compressor in the back. About halfway through the stop it kicked in. Both officers jumped like there was a rattle-snake under the car.

You know, I'm surprised I'm alive after this stop...

[ 11-01-2002, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Lictalon ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4610 users online. 310 members and 4300 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X