Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jam Master Jay Dies in NY Shooting

Yahoo News

NEW YORK (AP) - Jam Master Jay, a founding member of the pioneering rap trio Run DMC, was shot and killed at his recording studio near the New York neighborhood where he grew up, police said.

Two men were buzzed into the second-floor studio shortly before shots were fired inside its lounge at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, police said. As of early Thursday, police had made no arrests.

The 37-year-old disc jockey, whose real name was Jason Mizell, was shot once in the head in the studio's lounge and died at the scene, said Detective Robert Price, a police spokesman.

Urieco Rincon, 25, who was not a member of Run DMC, was shot in the leg, police said. About five other people in the studio at the time were not hurt.

"Rest In Peace Jam Master," Run DMC's official Web site read early Thursday, underneath a picture of Mizell.

Mizell served as the platinum-selling group's disc jockey, providing background for singers Joseph Simmons, better known as Run, and Darryl McDaniels, better known as DMC.

The group is widely credited with helping bring hip-hop into music's mainstream, including the group's smash collaboration with Aerosmith (news - web sites) on the 1980s standard "Walk This Way" and hits like "My Adidas" and "It's Tricky."

"We always knew rap was for everyone," Mizell said in a 2001 interview with MTV. "Anyone could rap over all kinds of music."

Mizell is the latest in a line of hip-hop artists to fall victim to violence. Rappers Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur were murdered within seven months of each other in 1996 and 1997

quote:
    Chuck D, the founder of the hip-hop group Public Enemy, blamed record companies and the advertising for perpetuating "a climate of violence" in the rap industry.
    And the lyrics in their songs couldn't possibly have anything to do with that either...
    No partner is worth your tears -
    the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

You gotta laugh at "Chuck D." Rappers blame everybody but themselves for promoting a climate of violence. Yeah ok, rapping (aka talking)about bitches, ho's and killing the police have NOTHING to do with the violence they inflict upon each other.

From what I've read, this 'Jam Master Jay' actually was a vocal critic of the violent and gang lyrics in today's rap "songs". Not to mention he was actually MARRIED, I'm shocked he wasn't labeled as an Uncle Tom.

[ 10-31-2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: BRICKCOP ]
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

yawn.
        I'll post, You argue.

Comment

I grew up listening to RUN DMC and Public Enemy.
          I still listen to some rap stations now.
          RUN DMC were old school back when they did not rap about drugs and killing bit%hes and such.
          They made music to have fun.
          I can't say that he was not into anything now.

That Guy
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I too grew up listening to them and think it's a shame. At least the music was clean and fun, can't say that about any form of music nowadays.

Comment

Who? It's a shame it took so long for someone to do it.

Comment

You know, what... Run DMC truly was one of the rap groups out there that kept it clean. I believe that it is Run who is a minister.

They did not rap about gangbanging, b!tches, and h0s, and all the other nonsense in today's rap music.

Jam Master Jay's murder was completely different from Tupac's and Biggie Small's murders. They rapped about, and were involved in that type of lifestyle. From everything I know, Jam Master Jay was not.

and I'm sure everyone else is thinking, "Why couldn't this have happened to P. Diddy?

[ 11-01-2002, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Badgerland ]
                "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by DA Police II:

I find it more of a shame that you would make such a comment.

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Godside:
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by DA Police II:

I find it more of a shame that you would make such a comment.
                    I agree with you Godside.

they weren't violent, "gangsta" rappers. they were pioneers in the music world.

it was those who came after them that started the violent lyrics.

[ 11-01-2002, 03:20 AM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                    "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3229 users online. 195 members and 3034 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X