300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraternities in LE?

I'm a (hopefully) future officer currently working on my degree. I'm a recent initiate of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and was thinking about fraternities in policework. Are any of you former fraternity brothers or sorority sisters? Have you seen any impact on your career, positive or negative, from being involved in the greek system?

I was (and still am) a part of Lambda Alpha Epsilon, a professional co-ed criminal justice fraternity. We didn't have a house or anything, but being a member has put me in contact with many LE professionals. When I was hired by my first department, the BI for the department was a member, so I'm sure that was a plus for me!
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

Originally posted by SrgMagnum
      I'm a (hopefully) future officer currently working on my degree. I'm a recent initiate of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and was thinking about fraternities in policework. Are any of you former fraternity brothers or sorority sisters? Have you seen any impact on your career, positive or negative, from being involved in the greek system?
      I was a Pike little sister at University of Houston.....how funny!

Comment

Go Pike! Haha, I've found that even with the negative public view in some aspects of Greek life, as with LE, its one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had. I've learned a lot and really discovered a lot about myself since becoming involved.

Comment

Once you become a sworn full time officer. YOU will belong to the biggest fraternity on earth.
          Life will be your hazing every shift......

Comment

Pikes eh? I'm sorry to hear it...I can't stand the local chapter.
            Last edited by Welpe; 05-16-2005, 07:01 PM.
            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Not a lot of RCMP members are members of college/university fraternities, but there are a LOT of them that are Masons or Shriners (or a small number of us that are Knights of Columbus!)
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Fraternities in Police Forces

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
                Not a lot of RCMP members are members of college/university fraternities, but there are a LOT of them that are Masons or Shriners (or a small number of us that are Knights of Columbus!)
                The Irish appear to have a some strong fraternity groups within the US Police Forces. Most State and Federal Police Forces seem to have an Emerald Society and there is also the Irish American Police Officers Association.

I guess that you could also class the International Police Association as a police fraternity group.

PeteBroccolo, RCMP, makes mention of the Masonic Lodge and Knights of Columbus. These two groups were very strong within Australian Police Forces and Prison Services, (In Australia the Knights are known as Knights of the Southern Cross.) There was a time when you needed to belong to one or the other, but times have changed, society has changed, the job has changed and so membership of these groups within the Force has greatly deminished. Membership by police officers of these groups would more likely to be as a private citizen within the general community and there would no longer be the numbers to form groups within a Police Force.

I also believe that UK Police Forces were once strongholds for the Masonic Lodge and the Knights?

Comment

Welpe, which university is near you? I've heard that some of the mid-Cali chapters are not in good standing with their communities. I'm really enjoying the community service and brotherhood of it all so far and luckily our chapter was purged and rebuilt about 3 years back and has earned itself a great reputation thanks to a lot of hard work by the brothers that have come before me.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
                    but there are a LOT of them that are Masons or Shriners

Many of us LEOs are Masons...and you must be a Mason to be a Shriner.

Comment

Magnum, I will PM you which university. I try not to judge the entire fraternity for what I see from what chapter, but it is hard. Good to hear yours went through a rebuilding.
                      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

I am an active brother of Beta Theta Pi here at UF. No one else I work with was in a fraternity (i work out in the country) and they generally call me gay or pretty boy bc of it, but its all in gest and it makes me laugh. They a good bunch of guys, and im the fng, so i planned on a little joking around at my expense.

~We have a Pi Kapp chapter here at UF, they are our neighbors. We (the fraterntiy members, not me) always steal **** from you, and you (your fraternity members, not you) always steal **** from us. Its a loving relationship that i am sure will start a riot one day. Did you hear that Pi Kapp got into a fight with our football team and our coach (former) Ron Zook came out and got involved somehow. It was all over the news at one point.
                        press hard-5 copies

Comment

I remember reading about that...

Comment

I am a KA and have been the local University's KA alumni advisor for a couple years now. I hear from other Alumni from my old chapter that are in Law Enforcement. Mostly, I hear from current members that have gotten into some kind of trouble. There is nothing I could do for most of them, but offer advise (get a lawyer, etc.).
                            I am also a Knight of Columbus, and do a lot of community service with the church. There are several L.E. contact there.
                            Live everyday as if it is your Last! Because someday you will be right.

Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Comment

Many, if not most of my LEO brothers were also Masons or had gone all the way to be Shriners. As Brodie first said, being a LEO puts you in the largest fraturnity of great guys and gals in the world and it is worldwide. If you make it to retirement, you become a life-member.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4591 users online. 231 members and 4360 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X