300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip South

Well, I (clearly) survived my trip into the deep South last week. It actually turned out to be a large learning experience, especially about law enforcement. Amazing what a scanner in the car can let you hear. [Wink]

A few observations:

1. NYC, NJ transit cops kick ***. I
    I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

quote:
    Just look at your state motto: Live free or die - that probably scares some folk from the get go.
    You reminded me...Somebody approached me in a parking lot and asked what that meant. I thought a moment and replied:

"We're not French."

We laughed for ten minutes, proving that, once again, it is always good to hate the French. [Wink]

Comment

Great post!
      Car trips RULE!
      (i love the Key's, tho)

I remember spending one nite in Miami on my honeymoon, since we were leaving from that airport the next morning. We took a walk around the city, and while in one neighborhood, my ex- (being a police officer) was looking around suspiciously. He decided we shouldn't be walking in that neighborhood anymore...right about the time we heard gunfire nearby. (and they weren't hunting [Wink] )

I can also remember a car trip to Florida, and the South of the Border signs. It ended up a big joke and evertime we saw "Pedro sez..." we added "**** YOU!"
      "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

While there are quite a few truly great Southern folks in FLorida, most of the places you were in are not truly "Southern".
        "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

I lived in Florida for 8 years. I never saw so many Yankees in one place in all my life!

BTW...I know all about Cafe' Risque'. We had one just outside my county, right off I-95. Who in their right mind would pay $5 for a cup of coffee?!
          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
          -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by shooter1201:
            Who in their right mind would pay $5 for a cup of coffee?!

I think they're called Starbucks customers

Comment

What's all this about $5 Starbucks? I went there the other day and only spent a buck 70 for a Venti Colombia.

Comment

quote:
                3. Bring a gun to Tampa!

From a very funny novel by Tom Dorsey (a Florida writer in the vein of Carl Hiaasen and Dave Barry) called "Triggerfish Twist":

Jim Davenport had never planned on moving to Tampa, or even Florida for that matter. Everything he knew about the state came from the Best Places to Live in America magazine that now sat on the Aerostar's dashboard. Right there on page 17, across from the feature on the joy of Vermon'ts covered bridges, was the now famous annual ranking of the finest cities in the U.S. of A. to raise a family. And coming in at number three with a bullet -- just below Seattle and San Francisco -- was the shocker on the list, rocketing up from last year' 497th position: Tampa, Florida. When the magazine hit the stands, champagne corks flew in the chamber of commerce. The mayor called a press conference, and the city quickly threw together a band and fireworks at a riverfront park; the news was so big it even caused some people to get laid.

Nobody knew it was all a mistake. The magazine had recently been acquired by a German media conglomerate, which purchased the latest spelling and grammar-check software and dismissed its editors and writers, replacing them with distracted high school studends in Walkman headsets. The tabular charts on the new software had baffled a student with green hair, who inadvertently moved all of Tampa's crime statistics a decimal point to the left.

The entire novel is based around how bad the crime is in Tampa.

[ 03-05-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: kirch ]
                Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

My husband and son were both born in St. Petersburg, very very close to Tampa. I rememberthe riots there one year. A white woman was pulled from a car and they had her clothes off when a black man intervened and got her to safety. It was very scary.
                  We moved to far Northeast Florida about 25 years ago. It's like night and day from St. Petersburg. The tourists in St. Pete were numerous. Forget going out to eat on a weekend night. All restaurants were packed with long waits.
                  Moving here was a really wonderful experince. It's real Florida. We aren't far from the Georia line and there is a lot of Georgia here. When we first moved here, we went to a move, casually dressed in shorts. We were the only ones wearing them. Everyone else had jeans on....in 100 degree weather.
                  But we love it here. It's so pretty and so nice compared to jam packed St. Pete.

Comment

Heh. I haven't even mentioned the joke that security at Disney was. How serious are you gonn take a guy who has a duck on his arm patch?

In NH I carry because I can, I had a reason, and because it's been useful once or twice...not because I seriously believe that I would need it. In Tampa, I had the thing strapped to my wrist at night... [Wink]

Comment

"I haven't even mentioned the joke that security at Disney was. How serious are you gonn take a guy who has a duck on his arm patch?"

Don't forget the mouse ears on the badge.

Seriously thought, their security is sort of what you'd expect, but they have "investigators" that handle employee things and things that have criminal implications. These guys really know what's up too. I've worked with them on a few credit card cases. Most of their investigators are retired cops, at least 2 are ex-USSS. Overall, pretty good guys.

Comment

Niteshift;

I really wasn't trying to poke too much fun at Disney (nor do I feel like you jumped down my throat [Wink] ) but I do feel like they could have done without the Mickey themed uniforms. Is it really gonna ruin the atomosphere of Disney if the guys look professional?

I sort of had a suspicion that they have some good folks lurking in the background...at least I hope so! I sort of have a nightmare image of things that could go wring at Disney...I secretly believe that they have the Disney equilvalent of the HRT hiding in the depths of Space Mountain, lest anyone cause trouble...no mouse ears, either.

In either case, I was (as always) grateful for the extra weight on my side...but would it have been too much for the security guard to ask me to open both compartments of my camera bag?

Comment

We were at Disney World when a friend of ours had a sudden attack of vertigo. My husband was helping him to a bench when he just collapsed. Security and help came out of nowhere. They took him by stretcher to their first aid station. He got a little better but they had my husband take him to the emergency room. It turned out he had an ear infection he didn't know about. We were most impressed with how concerned and professional they were. They just seemed to come out of nowhere! I feel very safe when I go to Disney World.

[ 03-05-2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Mitzi1 ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3067 users online. 215 members and 2852 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X