300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is this?

I have noticed something I don't understand.
    Today, as we were going out, we were stopped at a red light. There was a cop in front of us that turned his car to straddle the white line and he made a buzzing noise with his PA system. I looked ahead and there was this old homeless man walking almost into traffic. As soon as the light turned green and traffic went, he was able to pull up even with the man and put on his lights, I'm sure for his safety. Traffic slowed and this carload of teenage boys near us started heckling the cop and laughing as they went by. They even gave him the finger which he didn't see.
    Why are young men like this with the cops? I know a lot of them aren't but I have seen many who are. Even my own son was when he was a teenager though he isn't now. He hated the cops, something I just couldn't understand. Is this because they get more tickets or is it an authority thing? Or do think it's the teenage boys like this are really in the minority and I've just noticed it more then other people? Just wondering.

From all I have seen it is the upbringing of kids and how they interact with their peers that can cause them to behave this way. A lot of teenage boys will try what they can to feel superior to each other and thus give a person in a position of authority the finger or other gesture to make them look better towards their friends and peers. It is all about the peer pressure and trying to fit in with the in type crowd. Most teen boys follow the lead of one or two guys in their highschool and what their reactions to a situation is. Granted teen boys get more tickets because of how they show off but I think the main reason for this behavior is the peer pressure. Just my look at it.

Klar
    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Peer pressure is a dangerous thing. I saw it in my own son and it really worried me. He really wanted to fit in and be accepted. Unfortunately, one of his friends was real trouble. He recognized this in my son and used him.
      It got so bad that I was ready to scream. My son would be at work yet this kid, who didn't work, would come by, borrow his truck and some money and be gone all day. It all hit the fan when my son called me one day and asked me to bring him something to eat. I went down there with some lunch for him. But, I was not happy that David had given this kid his truck and all the money he had on him.
      One day, the kid took the truck and didn't return it. We reported it stolen and it was found later in front of this kids house at 3am in the morning. My son actually refused to press charges. We were pulling our hair out until we realized the solution. We pain the insurance on the truck and he made the payments. My husband told our son he wasn't going to pay insurance just so this kid could drive this truck. He told our son that he worked for the payments and he (my husband) worked to provide the insurance. So, he told him he would no longer pay insurance.
      Our son flipped out but he finally realized he could not afford the insurance payments. He finally told this kid he could no longer drive his truck. And the kids just dropped him and went on to the next sucker.
      Our son couldn't believe it because he considered this kid a "friend" when he was, in reality, a user.
      Peer pressure can creat enourmous problems!

Comment

You are right the biggest thing and problem most kids will face is that peer pressure. It can do wonderful things like get them to try harder to be like their straight A friend or it can go the opposite way and drag them down into the mud and usually it is the kids who have very caring parents that get the bad rep because they do not run away and are caught at the scene of a prank or something worse. I wish there was a easy way to get the kids through the peer pressure stages but I am not sure there ever will be.

Klar
        Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

I grew up with the greatest respect for cops. Father and brother are cops. Never hassled cops, except for one night when I ran from them (beer at 14), of course I didn't go far when I figured I might not get away. Of course, it was the same family members listed who I ran from. When I walked up to the car, my brother was driving, I was at his door. My dad starting asking questions and kept getting madder and madder. My brother didn't help manners any because he was trying his hardest to keep from laughing. What I did that night doesn't even come close to some of the stunts he pulled in high school.
          "I will not use my patrol car as a desert prerunner unless in pursuit."

Comment

I have teenager at home and what I find from her and her friends is the 1960's "Us" against the "establishment" mentallity. The rebellious attitude seems to be the main key. Our teens have that rebelious quality that the "hippies" of the 60's had. The "F" off to the "Pigs" thing. Alot of teens today don't respect the police because "we are always hassling them". Well, we "hassle" them because they break the law. In fact, we "hassle" most people who break the law, teens just seem to do it more (or is that they do it more often and not hide it as well so they get caught more?). I agree with the other posts too, peer pressure (to be one of the "crowd"), parents not teaching respect, etc. are just as important factors.

My daughter hates me being a cop, for no other reason than I am a cop. It is mainly because all her friends say, "Your dad is a cop? Oh, no." I love it just to see that look on their faces and the way they "straighten-up" when the "Cop" is around (maybe it will help keep one or more of them out of trouble). It does sadden me that teens (and some younger children) have this "fear" of the police. We are the people that can help them. But, as usual, nobody likes the police unless they need our help.
            "You have the right to remain silent. USE IT!!"

"I wouldn't believe you if your tongue was notarized". Judge M. Milian

Comment

That is something I am trying to instill in the five young children I am raising. I have always told them that the police are people who you can go to for any reason to make you feel safe and to assist you in any way. As they get older I will instil another thing on them. Any thing they do or say against a officer of the law is saying it to me since I spent 9.5 years doing that job. I will not have any in my family disrespecting the law officers. IF I do find it out they are in deep trouble.

Klar

Comment

I think I made a big impression on my son when he was talking against cops. I told him that the very cop who he was giving a hard time is the same one that would risk his life to save him.
                I could see the wheels turing in his head. He knew I was right.

Comment

That is very true Mitzi and we thank you for instilling values in your son. I think that he will be a very productive person in our society. I am very strick when it comes to supporting the officers in this country and I am strick when it comes to showing respect for our flag as I served under that flag and will do it all over again if I have too.

Klar

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3114 users online. 165 members and 2949 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X