300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red-light cameras

The mayor wants to install red-light cameras at the intersections under the guise of "public safety." He just sees the revenue from all the tickets.

Won't he be surprised when all the cameras reveal that half the red-light offenders are off-duty and on-duty cops. And the cops aren't going to pay the fines, because they already think red lights don't apply to them.

Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Comment

Go ask the firefighters.

I am sure that they would be more receptive to your insignificant, unimportant, meaningless, pointless, senseless and useless posts.

Originally posted by Waynesz
      Ha. Guess I should have just asked the firefighters

Comment

Greatest idea since sliced bread ..... Only people bitchin' are those that "might" get caught. And lawyers that want to make money fightn' the tickets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm voting OPTION 2 .....................

Comment

Bodie,

You most likely areadly know this, but our state reps our now wanting to have it where cops have to sit by the cameras to issue tickets. Wonder how many of them got tickets from red light cameras..
          THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

I'd be all for them, just like I'd be all for the Radar Camera's currently used in Germany. Its kind of hard to dispute a charge when your driving along (speeding or running a red light), and see a couple red strobe flashes, then a week or two later you get a nastygram in the mail from the Polizia, with a ticked and bill, and 3 pictures, one distance of the whole car, one of the lisence plate, and a close up of the driver.......

Comment

Originally posted by Waynesz
              Won't he be surprised when all the cameras reveal that half the red-light offenders are off-duty and on-duty cops. And the cops aren't going to pay the fines, because they already think red lights don't apply to them.
              In California, red light camera photos are public record. This means anyone (including the press) can come down and take a look at them, especially those that did not result in a citation being issued. In each case where someone was not cited, the press will no doubt ask the Department to explain why. This can be really embarrassing. About 100 miles south of me is a major city that 20 years ago had a huge ticket fixing scandal. No one was on the take. It was just that the Chief was a really nice guy so if you came in and asked politely, there was a good chance your ticket would get voided. Apparently thousands of tickets were voided over the years. The Chief wound up resigning and the legislature passed a law stating that once a ticket is written, only the court can dismiss it. If a PD finds it issued a citation in error, they must write a letter to the court asking that it be dismissed.

With this in mind, a few years ago the press went to that same PD and asked to look at photos of red light violations that did not result in citations being issued. They spotted around 500 that were of interest. Half were of police vehicles traveling against the red light without their light bars activated. The other half were of ambulances or fire trucks without their light bars on, along with city buses and school buses, all traveling against the red light as well. What was of particular interest was that in half of those pictures, the drivers were waiving, smiling, or making faces and sticking out their tongues at the red light camera as if it was a joke. Needless to say, a new ticket scandal arose.

To counter this, police departments throughout the state with red light camera systems developed a zero tolerance policy. If one of their officers is photographed running a red light in a patrol car without its light bar activated, or in his private car, he will (depending on the city) either get a citation or have disciplinary action taken against him by his agency.

If an officer from an outside agency is photographed running a red light in a patrol car without its light bar activated, or in his private car (our private car registrations do not have our home addresses, only our name and the name of our employing department) he will (depending on the city) either get a citation, or his employing agency will be notified so they can take disciplinary action against him. As a result of the public records law and an ever curious press, the probability of officers skating on red light camera tickets is pretty slim.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I have a totally radical idea on dealing with red light camera's.
                A compleatly fool-proof method which will garuntee that no ticket is issued through the use of the camera.

Stop.

Red John

Comment

In Florida the #1 Boneheads in the State Senate and House call red light cameras an invasion of privacy (and they're Republicans). I guess they figure if you run a red light and kill someone you should have a sporting chance at getting away with it. They ought to start a new party in Tallahassee called the Morons. It would definitely be the party in the majority.
                  Last edited by Pops; 05-11-2005, 04:25 PM.
                  Courage is not defined by those who fought and fell...but by those who fought, fell and rose again!

Comment

I can't remember where I read they have this, but someplace in the States, or England....somewhere, they have the "red-light" cameras. But, along with it, they have these sensors on the traffic lights. If someone runs a red light, it not only takes a picture of the violator, it delays the light from turning green for the lanes that it would have turned green for until the person running the red light is through the intersection, preventing accidents from occuring.
                    If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

The cameras will be in use in all major Ohio cities by 2006. I ive pegged two State Reps in my career and even a judge.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinUtah
                        I can't remember where I read they have this, but someplace in the States, or England....somewhere, they have the "red-light" cameras. But, along with it, they have these sensors on the traffic lights. If someone runs a red light, it not only takes a picture of the violator, it delays the light from turning green for the lanes that it would have turned green for until the person running the red light is through the intersection, preventing accidents from occuring.
                        The only thing our city has done right lately is implement this system. Here's how it works in a nutshell. There is a sensor pretty far back from the traffic light. If a vehicle is traveling over a certain speed as it passes this sensor when the light turns yellow or just turned red, it will delay the red-light for the cross traffic.

Also, if it is at night or there is very little traffic, as long as your doing the speed limit the light will turn green by the time you get there. Very nice for night patrol. I almost never sit at a red light when patrolling. Every town should have this system as our traffic crashes has decreased significantly.
                        It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Red light cameras are something that are here to stay and as soon as the particulars are ironed out in the individual states, they will be used a lot more. Personally I can think of a handful of intersections that could DESPERATELY use a red light camera system. One where FIVE different roads intersect, almost anytime someone isn't paying attention and runs that one it ends in a nasty crash.
                          Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                            The only thing our city has done right lately is implement this system. Here's how it works in a nutshell. There is a sensor pretty far back from the traffic light. If a vehicle is traveling over a certain speed as it passes this sensor when the light turns yellow or just turned red, it will delay the red-light for the cross traffic.

Also, if it is at night or there is very little traffic, as long as your doing the speed limit the light will turn green by the time you get there. Very nice for night patrol. I almost never sit at a red light when patrolling. Every town should have this system as our traffic crashes has decreased significantly.
                            Rabbit, have you noticed traffic accidents at intersections declining?
                            If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinUtah
                              Rabbit, have you noticed traffic accidents at intersections declining?
                              No debate about it. Crashes at these intersections are down. I can't really prove it's because of this system but it is a strange coincidence isn't it?
                              It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10504 users online. 382 members and 10122 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X