300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Size

This is a legit question that i have been pondering. Does one's size have an advantage/disadvantage in getting hired or getting more recognition within a Department?
    Last edited by Creed; 05-04-2005, 11:23 AM.

Originally posted by Creed
    This is a legit question that i have been pondering. Does one's size have an advantage/disadvantage of getting hired or getting more recognition within a Department?

By the size of my 5'01" Chief...I would say no!!! But there are some agencies that nrequire for a potential recruit to be tall!!! Depends on the agency.
    Terrorist: "You're a policeman, even policeman have rules". John Mclane: "Yeah, that's what my captain keeps telling me!"

Comment

This is a legit question that i have been pondering. Does one's size have an advantage/disadvantage of getting hired or getting more recognition within a Department?
      I don't know why, but it seems like EVERY Utah State Trooper I have ever seen is huge.
      If you ever have sprained ankle, give me a call.

Comment

While I do not think many departments actually still have height requirements. I do think that your size and attitude can make a difference on the street. I am in the process now and every cop I talk to says that at my size (6'2" 200 lbs) I will have very little to worry about as far as suspects challenging me. But I think actual street cops can can give you more insight on this.

Comment

This is a legit question that i have been pondering. Does one's size have an advantage/disadvantage in getting hired or getting more recognition within a Department?
          To answer your question IMO(and maybe you will get an answer from someone who has been on a panel before) I would think size would only matter if you have two qualified candidates who are neck and neck in the hiring process.

If you have a less intelligent 6'4" 275lb candidate and a more intelligent 5'9" 150lb candidate, I would think the smarter guy would get the nod, but like I said, this is my personal opinion.

Comment

Getting hired, no. Being useful on the street, yes.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Long time ago in my dept you had to be at least 5'6" and wieght 150lbs. I was 6' but unless I had my pockets full of lead I wasn't even close. I did have prior experiance and they were pretty hard up for officers at that time so they lied about my wieght. Eventually I bulked up to about 155lbs On the street they did worry but after they got to know me they understood that I was quite handy to be around in a fight and they were always glad I was there and if "I" called for help it was major ***-whipping time. It is hard as the BG's on the street also have to learn and understand that they cannot push your around. You don't have to be nasty about it , just very self-confident. I smiled a lot when threated so many though I was crazy and didn't mess with me.

Comment

I'm 5'2" and never had a problem with my department. The guys found out that because of my size I could take a BG down harder than someone that was larger. It helped being female because where some BG would fight a male officer they wouldn't me.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                  Getting hired, no. Being useful on the street, yes.
                  Well said. Absolutely true.

I'm 6'4 190 and rarely get challenged. And when I have been challenged it's been due to their drug use/mental instability. The smaller guys at my detachment seem to get into more **** more often. Females seem to get yelled at more, but not physically challenged.

Comment

If you're a runt like me, (5'3") don't look at a bigger person as a threat, look at them as something that has to reach down to get you. When they make their grab, take a step back. This convinces them that you're retreating, and makes them confident enough to over-extend themselves and keep reaching for you. In fact though, you've just lured them off balance, and their center of gravity is now several inches in front of their feet, instead of directly over them, and it's easy from there, to grab their wrist, head, nose or bottom lip, and pull them them rest of the way off balance, take them to the ground, and proceed to pummel their head into the floor (or concrete) till someone comes to their rescue. I did this to a big guy that used to be on our school wrestling team about 20 years ago, after he got uppity with me one night in the local market's parking lot.

-Sarge
                    "He's not a known offender Captain... he's not even a known species..!"

Comment

Ah about 8+...damn- wrong forum

Actually why is it in western societies that "bigger" (meaning size/weight) cops supposedly get more respect from the bad guys?

I have been to many places in SE Asia & have police friends in a few of these places, some in their dept swat team (or whatever you want to call it).

These guys are NOT knuckle draggers or muscled up to the eyeballs types but they are extremely tough, fit and capable of taking down anyone. They have no qualms about dealing with westerners either. Everyone gets treated the same if the case warrants it...

In a lot of cases they tend to get a lot more "respect" from the bad guys than I've seen some of the tall/heavy/huge muscled guys get here in Aust.
                      Homer: When I first heard that Marge was joining the police academy, I thought it would be fun and zany, like that movie Spaceballs. But instead it was dark and disturbing... Like that movie -- Police Academy.

Comment

Its always the big ones that say that being smaller is a problem. I'll put my 5'9 185lb *** up against anyone who says size is an issue.

A real issue is somebody who is 6'4 250lbs and thinks nobody is gonna fight em.

Comment

Originally posted by J--WS6
                          A real issue is somebody who is 6'4 250lbs and thinks nobody is gonna fight em.
                          EXACTLY. He is the guy NOT expecting anything, and we all know that can get you into trouble(not being on your toes at ALL times.)

Good point WS6!

Comment

This thread isn't here to see who is better or to pit one size against another. Every height & weight has it's advantages/disadvantages, i just wanted to know what Departments look for, sounds like most are pretty diverse, which is a good thing!
                            Last edited by Creed; 05-05-2005, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I think a lot depends on the size of the agency and the location of said agency. At one time you had to be no less than 6' to be a N.J. state Trooper.

When I got hired there were almost 200 people on our department, I had been discharged from the Military 12 day's prior to getting hired and was 6' tall and a slim and trim 138 lbs. The first Sgt. that I worked for asked if I could handel myself and I informed him that I in fact could and that it only took several pounds of pressure to squeeze a trigger.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3286 users online. 201 members and 3085 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X