Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

honerable psych medical discharge from navy, is there any way i can be a cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honerable psych medical discharge from navy, is there any way i can be a cop?

in 2000 i was honerably discharged (medical: major depressive disorder) from the USNAVY and i was currious if that type of discharge would prevent me from being a police officer? the service connection was 30%, but i have been in therapy for the past 2 years and have worked through most of those problems. Furthermore, i was a petty officer in the US NAVY and had a clean record while i was in.

Magic 8 Ball Say, 'Outlook Not Good'

If you ask five people this question, you will get ten different answers, but more then likely, this would be an issue for a hiring dept. Depression is a serious issue, and while everyone is susceptible to situational depression (normal life stressors, etc.) major depressive disorder is considered very serious.

Here is a brief overview of major depressive disorder according to a depression information web site:

Major depressive disorder is also known as major depression, clinical depression, or unipolar depression. The term unipolar refers to the presence of one pole, or one extreme of mood- depressed mood. This may be compared with bipolar depression which has the two poles of depressed mood and mania (i.e., euphoria, heightened emotion and activity).

Major depressive disorder should be taken very seriously since up to 15% of those with this condition die by suicide.

Anyway, with treatment (meds and therapy) there is good outlook for this disorder, which is good. Lots of great people suffer from depression, and with work, they can make great strides.

I think you should check with a dept. you are interested in, it is better to find out for sure, then to get misc. speculation here.

Best of luck, and thank you for your service.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer
      I think you should check with a dept. you are interested in, it is better to find out for sure, then to get misc. speculation here.
      I'm going to bet that you will not get much of an answer from any PD without first going through their testing process.

Whether your condition is a disqualifier depends on the type and severity of your illness. The problem is, under EEO laws (at least in my state) a prospective employer can't even remotely inquire about an applicant's medical history or condition unless it is in connection with an actual offer of employment. (i.e., they first send you a letter reading, "Dear Mr. Discogroove, You are offered employment as a Police Officer with the Podunk Police Department subject to your successfully passing a medical examination and a background investigation. Sincerely, Joe Blow, Chief"

Because of these EEO restrictions, people who are actually qualified to pass judgment over such matters (department physicians) probably won't give you the time of day until you get to that point in the testing process. They may talk to you ahead of time in vague generalites, but when it comes to discussing your specific condition and reviewing your medical records, they will politely back away.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4632 users online. 307 members and 4325 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X