NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Does your department have an age cutoff?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Joker
    Joe Friday's nickname
    • Mar 2005

Does your department have an age cutoff?

When does your department deem that you are too old to serve as a new hire? I think LAPD is 39. The age cutoff may not apply to lateral transfers.
    Last edited by The Joker; 04-30-2005, 07:48 AM.
    "People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant".
  • Java King
    Heyyyy, What's up there!
    • Apr 2005

The cutoff in Illinois for police & fire is 35 y/o. Some dept's take laterals, some don't.
    That's right, bring me my royal coffee!

Comment

• Stan Switek
      In memory of Delta784
      • Feb 2005

In my experience many of the older applicants, late 30's on up, seem to have a tough time with the FTO process. On my department the failure rate is very high. Anyone else experience this?

Comment

• realluke
        Forum Member
        • Jul 2004

DOD does not have an age limit
        but ossifer im not to drive to drunk

Comment

• BKorver
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2005

Feds

The Department of Justice has an age cut off of 37 for all Federal LEO positions in every agency, (FBI, DEA, ATF, USMS, BOP...), but you can transfer from one agency to another after 37, but it has to be fed to fed. The reason is we have a mandatory retirement of 57 for LEO's and we don't get full retirement bennifits until 20 years.
          "The bravest are surely those who know exactly what lies before them, glory and danger alike, yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it"

Comment

• Lucky Seven
            Huhhh??
            • Mar 2005

Used to be 32, now it's 35.
            Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

• sob153
              Forum Member
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BKorver
              The Department of Justice has an age cut off of 37 for all Federal LEO positions in every agency, (FBI, DEA, ATF, USMS, BOP...), but you can transfer from one agency to another after 37, but it has to be fed to fed. The reason is we have a mandatory retirement of 57 for LEO's and we don't get full retirement bennifits until 20 years.
              Partly true.......The only way you can transfer from a 6c retirement Job after 37 is another 6c retirement position. Not all Law Enforcement Positions are 6c retirement and you must have the equivalent years. an example is this.. I am FBI (1811 6c retirement position) 2 years, then I go local I am 40 now, I can't get a 6c retiremnt job because 37 is cut off add 2 years because of FBI. I can get hired up until I'm 39 yrs old If i did 5 yrs then I can add 5 years to 37yrs old.
              live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

• Pops
                Certified LEO
                • Mar 2005

The departments (PDs, SO) in my area don't have an age limit as long as your physically able to do what you need to do. I'm just now starting at a department and I'm 44.
                Courage is not defined by those who fought and fell...but by those who fought, fell and rose again!

Comment

• DETSGT
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2005

Civil service in N.J. will let you take up to 4 year's off of your age for Military time. So a person at 39 with military time would only be 35 the normal cutoff age.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
                    Retired
                    • Apr 2001

The RCMP used to have a maximum age for applicants, as well as differing maximum age for mandatory retirement for different ranks. Then we dropped the applicant requirement, and everyone had to retire at age 60, no matter how much service they had. Rumours are that we are considering allowing our members to work past age 60, but ONLY if they pass our physical test in 4:00 or better.

I thought years ago about going until 35 years, which is our maximum pensionable service (70% of the average of our best 5 years of base pay, without considering acting or overtime), and I would only be about 54.5 years old. Unless the world falls apart and I end up on some weekdays only desk job, I do NOT see me working at this occupation to age 60, let alone beyond!
                    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

• RabbitMPD
                      Victory is mine!!!!
                      • Oct 2004

Mine is 35 but we have no cutoff for laterals. New hires can be as young as 21.
                      It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

• ecpd170
                        My Give A Damn Is Busted
                        • Nov 2004

mine is 35
                        "OBSTACLES ARE THOSE FRIGHTFUL THING YOU SEE WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR EYES OFF YOUR GOAL" HENRY FORD

Comment

• SeVere
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Java King
                          The cutoff in Illinois for police & fire is 35 y/o. Some dept's take laterals, some don't.
                          Chicago's cutoff is 40 Years Old.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17944 users online. 25 members and 17919 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...