300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Back to California For Me...

Well, for a host of good reasons, my wife and I are moving from Tulsa back to California. We'll be on the road come friday, and expect to be on the Monterey beach by Monday or Tuesday (again).

My parents were some of those Cherokee that were displaced by the government during the early 30s (and sent to California). They stayed on for he war, and that's how our family wound up in California. So for as long as I was in the army, I knew I'd come back home to Fort Gibson, Oklahoma. I did, as of July 2000. But the kids had found very good careers in law enforcement, and EMT/911 centers, plus the oldest is now in the Air Force...and all the grandkids are living in California.

So, it's either stay here and maybe see the children growing up from a vast distance, or go back and get a home on the same street as all my grandkids. The choice is easy.

The only hurtful aspect is the cost of living. Here in Tulsa, Oklahoma the retirement income goes very far indeed! We can even save a great deal.

But in Salinas, California...maaaann!

Oh, and I'd have to say adios to Gilmores Tulsa Indoor gun range In California, I'll drive 40 miles to King City to use some ranch land.

AND, I CAN SHRED MY CCW; IT IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO POSSESS A CCW IN CALIFORNIA.

Well, I'll pull the plug on this machine thursday. Should be on line again NLT the following Thursday.

Jim Burnes

God speed and safe trip, my friend.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Best wishes!
      M.E.

Comment

Wish you all the best for a smooth move Jim!!

P.S. Hurry and get the computer hooked up!!!

Comment

Jim,
          My deepest sympathy with having to return to CA. If you're like me, you love the geography-but hate the beurocracy. I have a friend in Salinas now who transferred to the Pacific Grove P.D. I've been to Monterey many times (loved the diving). The CCW thing can be a real drag depending on which county you're living in. Orange County? Forget it. Lassen on the other hand, is a cake walk. I think Stanislaus is pretty easy too. Just a thought.

Comment

Congratulations on your move

You're doing what's important to you, that's what counts. your grandkids are lucky!
            "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

There are two family cemetaries in Fort Gibson and in Tahlequah, which I was able to help keep clean and mowed (it's a Cherokee thing [Wink] ).

When the work was done, there was lemonaide and BBQ to be had, on the tables laid out on the burial grounds.

There really are small cafes that know what you like to drink, and where you like to set, before you even come in.

There are relatives that live way back in the hills, who don't see the need to buy cow, when the woods are full of fresh meat...and you don't
              ask what's on the plate. Just eat it

(They are the same aunts and uncles who will not speak English, they expect Cherokee and they never laugh at your accent [Eek!] ).

There is a Stomp Grounds that I was expected to work at. Nothing like it in California. California folks have the Bear Dance and the White Deer, but there I'm just a visitor.

Bet most of you folks didn't know the finer details of Okie-living

Jim Burnes

Comment

quote:
                Originally posted by Jim Burnes:
                Well, for a host of good reasons, my wife and I are moving from Tulsa back to California. We'll be on the road come friday, and expect to be on the Monterey beach by Monday or Tuesday (again).

My parents were some of those Cherokee that were displaced by the government during the early 30s (and sent to California). They stayed on for he war, and that's how our family wound up in California. So for as long as I was in the army, I knew I'd come back home to Fort Gibson, Oklahoma. I did, as of July 2000. But the kids had found very good careers in law enforcement, and EMT/911 centers, plus the oldest is now in the Air Force...and all the grandkids are living in California.

So, it's either stay here and maybe see the children growing up from a vast distance, or go back and get a home on the same street as all my grandkids. The choice is easy.

The only hurtful aspect is the cost of living. Here in Tulsa, Oklahoma the retirement income goes very far indeed! We can even save a great deal.

But in Salinas, California...maaaann!

Oh, and I'd have to say adios to Gilmores Tulsa Indoor gun range In California, I'll drive 40 miles to King City to use some ranch land.

AND, I CAN SHRED MY CCW; IT IS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO POSSESS A CCW IN CALIFORNIA.

Well, I'll pull the plug on this machine thursday. Should be on line again NLT the following Thursday.

Jim Burnes

Heeeeeeeey, Jim, Salinas, you'll practically be my neighbor!
                Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
                -Mark Twain

Comment

Yep, but don't expect no liberal stuff from me [Eek!] I can just as easily plot to overthrow the Euros from California, just as easy as from Tulsa

Jim Burnes

Comment

Ain't it weird how everyone's moving on the same day?

Comment

Jim, stay away from the East-side of Salinas. I worked on South Main Street for many years. Most of the city is OK, but stay away from the East-side . For Rifle/ Shotgun/ Pistol shooting outdoors you've got the Laguna Seca Gunrange (Or the eastside of Salinas ). A little pricy, strict rules, but a nice set-up with good people. It's about 5 minutes from south Salinas.

For a great indoor range with good folks try Markley's, in Watsonville. It's a 1/2 hour drive from you. I go to both fairly often.

For good eats I strongly recommend the "Blackbear Diner", at the 101/ Laurel Rd. intersection. The Northridge Mall (101 and Boronda Rd.) is almost done with construction on their 14 theater- all stadium seating movie theater The Mall also has a "Cold-Stone Creamery" ice-cream parlor , the best ice-cream for miles!

Across the freeway there is a new "Westridge" shopping center, with Costo, Wallmart, Outback-Steakhouse, etc. Salinas has got just about everything. I guess prices are relative...When I think of house buying/ apartment rentals, Salinas is the cheapest place I know. Drive a short distance to Santa Cruz or San Jose and you'll be paying double to tripple the amount.

I just went to an alarm call in my beat the other night and walked through a new housing tract of 1.5 million dollar homes.

Let me know when you're in the area and you can come with me and ateamer to test my new rifle .

[ 06-09-2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: SO 5150 ]
                      "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids." -General Jack D. Ripper, Commanding General, Burpleson Air Force Base

Comment

oy! I grew up on Bernal drive, and then on Williams road! East Salinas was considered tough even in the 60s, but you are correct: East Salinas has become crime ridden. Too bad for those who can't move out.

I'll check out the indoor range ASAP. It would beat driving to King City. My brother, retired deputy, has 10 acres there and has set it up as a rifle range.

Salinas is ok, it's a good town and the police are sharp. I'll hopefully get involved again as a Court Appointed Child Advocate (I did that here, and it's satisfying).

Feeling better about going back. Just takes a little time eh?

Jim Burnes

Comment

Good Luck with the move! Now you will be able to vote for Arnold Schwarznegger for govenor.

I couldn't imagine living that far from the grandkids. I have a few years to go before I have any, but I would want to watch them grow up.

Have a safe move.
                          Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

My condolences.

Seriously though, good luck and have a safe trip.
                            There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Steven Wright

Comment

Jim, good luck on the move, and be safe.

Cali is a different world, but I think you'll adapt.

Most important of all, enjoy the Grandkids....

And, we need an unbiased report on 5150's new rifle
                              Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6130 users online. 337 members and 5793 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X