300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated by Idiot Bureaucrats

We went on a welfare check on a possible mental case yesterday. Turned out to be a Vietnam vet, who was having a bad day. Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of the ambush which killed his two best friends on the patrol he was leading. For 30 years, he's been beating himself up about it, feeling responsible for their deaths and yesterday had him crying his eyes out and asking for help.

He agreed to go voluntarily to the county Mental Health Unit to get some help. Well, I took him there and then got met with the rude reality that they don't care about vets. The drone working there (ID'd as a nurse by his nametag) said they don't provide counseling. He went on to say that they are an in-patient psychiatric hospital, filled with schizophrenics and not appropriate for a veteran having problems. Apparently in the nurse's little world, if someone is not a dangerous schizophrenic, they are not deserving of any help.

Unfortunately, there is no VA facility around here, and I couldn't think of any resources on a Saturday afternoon. On top of that, we were running paper-thin staffing due to a homicide which had just occurred. The county-funded Mental Health Unit is chartered to handle such cases.

I had words with the psych worker, including pointing out that if the man had insurance, they'd take him. He agreed and said that would accept him if he was insured, confirming a long-held belief that the hospital running the Mental Health unit (which is owned by the Catholic church) is just in it for the bucks.

I had to get in the car and call one of my partners for ideas and when I got out, the vet had been able to convince MHU to accept him and contact the VA for services. I had also shamed the worker pretty good, pointing out that we were free because young men like this guy was go to war.

That a so-called public mental health professional was so unwilling to help and so incompetent that he didn't know anything about cases involving veterans is inexcusable.

Afterward, I got pretty choked up thinking that 30 years ago, some scared kids gave their lives doing our nation's bidding, it breaks their sergeant down on the anniversary of the attack and the people who are supposed to be there to help him refuse to.

No point here, I just had to vent. [Frown]
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

it's nice to see that the mental health people are the same all over for the most part. I had a case where a family member (cousin) walked in their residence (cousin did not live there) and told them that they had a death warrant on them and he was there to serve it. They forced him outside and then he began beating on the door with a bat. He broke the front glass door and a window. He was not on scene upon arrival. Warrants were taken out for the criminal part but when we contacted Mental Health, we were advised that they were not going to seek any involuntary papers. This is after we let the family members speak to them over the phone and everything.....ridiculous....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4479 users online. 245 members and 4234 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X