300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial PT Test Stories

Just see'ing if anyone wanted to share thier story(s) about thier first PT test to get into the academy. ie: Did you get caught off guard with a drill or did something funny happen, did you hack up a lung during the run, etc...
    Last edited by Creed; 04-20-2005, 04:51 PM.

Okay you know PT is coming You know when it will be only a fool is not in shape or caught "off guard". This may be hard to swallow put if you ain't ready for a simple PT then you are not ready for this career

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
      Okay you know PT is coming You know when it will be only a fool is not in shape or caught "off guard". This may be hard to swallow put if you ain't ready for a simple PT then you are not ready for this career
      Eh? Guys just wanting to hear some funny stories amigo.

Comment

Not necessarily... In my case, there was NO description other than "Pass a physical fitness test" ......I nearly died when I found out that I had to run a mile and a half when I hadn't run since I was in highschool....(and I'm not even CLOSE to a twentysomething)

As for a funny story...the only thing funny I can think of was the guy who kept running OUT of his shoes. He was only there about 2 weeks.
        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

ZAP .............. We bail out and run a lot so you were not prepared to run a few thousand feet ??????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

We had a guy run out of his shoes, looked to be a very good runner and after everyone stopped laughing and he went with the next group he scored at or near the top.
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I was holding a guys legs during his situp routine and he started farting. I started cracking up and ended having to run laps.
              "People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant".

Comment

ZAP .............. We bail out and run a lot so you were not prepared to run a few thousand feet ??????????????????????????????????????????

.....ummm....what are the radios, tasers, guns and cars for?

(seriously, I had NO CLUE what would be involved in the PT.....I certainly would have never imagined a mile and a half run )
                An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Even for people that dopn't run daily and are in moderate shape (not grossly obese, extremely overweight, etc) a 1.5 mile run is not bad at all. The ILETSB requires it to be done in 13:46. I've been out of the academy for some time, and I can still pass that with more than a minute to spare, and am NOT, nor was I ever, a good runner.
                  Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

In my information packet, I was told I had 3min 30sec to run 3/4 lap, jump 4' hurdle, go through a culvert, do a serpentine, then drag the 130lbs dummy 75 feet. I figured if I could do it in 2:30, I'd be doing pretty good. I'm a heavy set guy, so 2:30-2:45 was going to be acceptable for me. Was supposed to be going with 5 other people, including two BEAUTIFUL girls.

Showed up to the PD as instructed then drove over to the field. I was the ONLY one! Okay, no big deal. I know all the cops here, so if I bust my *** or something else, it won't be AS embarrassing for me. Here comes the first surprise. Have to get out of the cruiser from a buckled position to start the run. No big deal, right? I hit the horn with my elbow. So I took off. Wasn't paying a bit of attention to my breathing or anything. Reach the hurdle, figure I'm pretty close to 3 minutes. Top of the hurdle is SOAKED. "It's raining?!?" Okay, I'm able to get the footing to get over. Hit my knees to go through the "culvert" which turned out to be PVC pipe 3' tall, 9' long. Up and out, go through the serpentine. Grab the dummy, ankle collapses, I'm on my ***. Get back up, finish the drag. Time? 2minutes 15seconds. 15 seconds faster than anyone in the past in my weight class.
                    It's the ones you love that will kill you the quickest.

Official O.COM Man of Mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
                      I was holding a guys legs during his situp routine and he started farting. I started cracking up and ended having to run laps.
                      LOL....I can do you one better than that...a guy in my class **** himself on the pull-up bar!

Also, we had the dept. shrink out one day, and he decided to go on a run with us. Not only was he wearing women's running shoes, but he was lagging behind the formation and got chased by some old lady's German shepherd. We had to stop when the road guard heard him screaming for help.

Comment

Zap if you can't get close to'em ya can't shoot'em or taz'em.
                        Officers shoot very few people they ever chase and by the time they are caught they are too tired to fight hence the go to jail tired premise.

Comment

Outdoor track in North Las Vegas at 2:00pm under a blazing sun...record 98 degree heat for October...couple of guys puked after the 1.5 and at least one other guy was in the EMS van for something or another.

Very first element was the vertical leap...one guy got up (literally) about 4 inches and the PT instructor had to demonstrate the way to jump off one foot, preferably, the one closest to the wall...two more 4.5-inch leaps later and he was out...that was the sum total of his testing experience other than sending in the initial application. Wish he'd have made it to the pushup/situp station.

Another girl limping around the track in agony to complete the 1.5 in 15 min...had a huge anti-rotation-type knee brace, probably for an unrepaired ACL tear...looked like one of those marathoners sucking it up to finish a marathon, minus the diarrhea running down her legs (I think). Meanwhile, the academy running schedule is up to 5 miles at a time, so what's the point of it if you gotta kill yourself just to do 1.5/15min?

Finally, the white trash teenage couple who decide that a park crawling with dozens of police personnel clearly identifiable in bright yellow shirts and half a dozen cruisers, bikes, and 4x4's would be the PERFECT spot to smoke a joint and have sex in the only available public bathroom...last I saw, the guy was in cuffs and the girl was being given "one last chance" to tell the truth about where she lived or where her mother could be reached and so forth.
                          No longer ignoring anybody here, since that psycho known as "Josey Wales" finally got the boot after being outed as a LE imposter by B&G978. Nice job.

Comment

The fun is seeing the 5 ft tall FEMALE that weighs over 250 show up and not be able to do a damn thing and leave in tears
                            Last edited by Bodie; 04-21-2005, 07:15 AM. Reason: Mispelled

Comment

The fun is seeing the 5 ft tall FEMALE that weighs over 250 show up and not be able to do a damn thing and leave in tears
                              lol... i guess an "A" for effort for her Bodie.. . Good stories all around, i especially like the "sharting" ones.

PRO Writer you play Ice bro??
                              Last edited by Creed; 04-21-2005, 07:42 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3321 users online. 149 members and 3172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X