Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pursuit ends in death of family....

This happened 15 miles from me.

Corinth, MS- A family returning from church services was struck and killed by a car fleeing from police Thursday evening. Estimated speed at time of impact was in excess of 100 MPH.

LEOs from Alabama were pursuing a car believed to have been involved in a theft of VIDEOS from a WalMart located in Muscle Shoals, AL(over 40 miles away). Officers from Alabama and Mississippi participated in this deadly pursuit. Capital murder charges are expected to be filed against the driver of the fleeing vehicle.

Here are MY questions: What *alleged* IDIOT authorized an 'across state lines' pursuit for theft of videos...and when the pursuit entered a HEAVILY congested area, WHY wasn't it terminated?!?!

Can you say FUBARed? This is ONE situation where I hope heads roll. BTW...one of the children in the car was decapitated by the impact.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

That is sad, over movies? Sounds like serious contempt of COP. Its sad, coming home from church your life ends.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:

Here are MY questions: What IDIOT authorized an 'across state lines' pursuit for theft of videos...and when the pursuit entered a HEAVILY congested area, WHY wasn't it terminated?!?!
      One of the things you learn very quickly in this job is not to believe everything you read in the paper/see on the news. Without being there, or talking to someone actively involved in the pursuit, its hard to be sure of what really happened. To call the supervisors "Idiots" without having all the facts is akin to assuming someone who likes "fast guns and fast trucks" is a stupid redneck. What happened is very tragic, but don't lose sight of who is responsible, the thugs doing the running.

Comment

Maybe I missed it in the thread, the Police were fleeing from the bad guy?

When do we start blaming the person who flee's from the Police? Did the person who was behind the wheel of the fleeing car have the opportunity to stop?

From what little was posted, was this just a case of shoplifting or was there more?

In the New England area, there is a group that have been targeting Walmart, and stealing up to $40,000 in DVD's and computers. One reason why the stores have been targeted is the lack of store security inside and poor quality cameras. The thiefs know this, and maye thats why it keeps happening. Maybe just maybe, the thief/fleeing suspect, had been involved in similar activities in Alabama.

Lastly, there was a tragedy, and anytime someone innocent gets killed by some ******* that refuses to stop its saddening.
        And even worse a family is taken away, and a child is involved.

But lets remember, the suspect made the decision to flee, he KILLED that family, not the Police Officer.
        "are you going to bark all day little doggie or are you going to bite"

Comment

This information didn't come from a newspaper. It came from my supervisor.
          "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

As tragic as this incident is, let's not forget one thing:

THE PERSONS WHO ARE ULTIMATELY TO BLAME FOR THE DEATH OF THE INNOCENT FAMILY ARE THE SUSPECTS WHO RAN FROM THE POLICE, and not the police themselves.

Unfortunately, the lawyers of this country have convinced the media, the American public, and some LEO's too, that it's the other way around. That's because 99.999% of criminals have no money to sue for.

Shooter, while your source for information about this case may have been your supervisor, how reliable was your supervisor's source of information?

There's a lot of facts that we DON'T know about, and won't know about for some time. Because there will almost certainly be a lawsuit filed by survivors of that family, the departments involved are going to reserve comment.

Also, let's remember that just because OUR department wouldn't allow a pursuit like this, doesn't mean OTHER departments won't either.

Comment

Points taken. Also...while SOME departments MIGHT permit such pursuits, SOME officers know better than to engage in such....I hope.

BUT you are correct. ALL the 'facts' aren't known.

Comment

It is tragic that things like this happen.
                I would be interested in seeing the suspects rap sheet. Could there be more there? Most of us will never know.

You have to realize that the officer's involved will have to live with this also. We are not machines we have feelings too. Now all the second guessing comes into play. There are a million what if's, but we have to deal with what is.

Ive been involved in a few high speed chases that start out with a simple misdemeanor but very soon become a felony by the pursuit itself becomes a felony. In one pursuit I had terminated due to me perception of possible danger, the idiot continued speeding away and about a mile later crashed in a vehicle being driven by a 16 year old female with her family in it. Luckily no one was seriously injured. So just stopping pursuits does not mean no one will be hurt.

We cann't just let everybody go when they run or we would have anarchy. Stop sticks are good, but definately not fool proof. You have to have someone in front of the pursuit to be able to lay them. Even then some suspects continue running recklessly.

Until science is able to give us the ability to stop pursuits tragedy's like this will continue. The courts MUST take a stand and PUNISH those who choose to run. And that is what this P.O.S. did and has taken the life of a family.

Your bleeding heart liberals will say, oh it wasnt his fault the police shouldn't have chased him.

Someone tell me what is the answer

Comment

Another sad situation. If they knew the only thing stolen was video tapes I think a serious mistake was made. However I can understand the other agency getting into the pursuit if the only information they had was a pursuit in progress and a call for assistance was received.
                  Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

I agree with the point that even if a pursuit is called off the suspect does not always slow down. This tragedy could have occured even if the pursuit had been called off. I have seen numerous chases that have ended in crashes becuse the person fleeing felt that they could get away and if they did they could get away anytime they desired it. I am saddened by the loss of life I am glad that the suspect is around to be tried and shown what he did to the family.

Klar
                    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

It's sad to hear stories like that. In Minnesota its a Felony to flee police. What is it there? And if in fact this went across state lines, wouldn't that be a federal crime now? I wonder if it was a theft or an armed robbery. Or...if there were threats. now you have me thinking about what really happend.
                      Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

5 days afterwards, the 'facts' are that the individuals being pursued were fleeing due to having SHOPLIFTED video/electronic items from a WalMart store in Muscle Shoals, AL.

The pursuit began in Muscle Shoals, continued through Tuscumbia and Cherokee, going northbound on US HWY 72, before crossing into Mississippi.

Once in Mississippi, the pursuit went through Iuka and Tishomingo before entering Corinth, where the pursuit terminated at the intersection of US HWY 72 and Harper Rd, due to an MVA.

FWIW, I drive this route all the time. Under normal driving conditions, this trip NORMALLY takes 1 hour and 15 minutes, at speeds averaging 60 MPH.

More to follow.....

Comment

The 3 felons were being pursued for 'felony shoplifting' after taking more than $3000 worth of DVDs and videos from WalMart.

There were 3 occupants in the fleeing vehicle(2 females and 1 male). The female driver was uninjured in the impact. Her two companions were hospitalized with minor injuries. ALL 3 have been charged with 'capitol murder' in connection with the deadly crash.

Comment

We have the same problems with high speed pursuits here in the UK. We have to consider the European Convention on Human Rights, which states that all people have an equal and absolute right to life, whenever we get into any situation where the life of any person is put at risk. It is always a delicate balancing act of decision making to decide whether it is better to just let a fleeing suspect go.....or to take positive action to stop them.... All based on what is safer for everybody, public, police and suspect. there tends to be no 'right' answer.... only an officers best judgement of the circumstances at the time.It is very easy to pick holes in an officer's decision afterwards particularly if something has gone horribly wrong. It is much harder to support those officers who may have thought they were doing the right thing at the time .....who probably acted in good faith and without the benefit of hindsight!

Comment

I agree with InSane1,it is a felony in MN and even though it is very sad we must remember who killed these folks.

BTW InSane what dept you with in MN you can e-mail me if you like, I kinda like to know where my fellow Minnesotans work.

MNRez

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: mnrez ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4396 users online. 275 members and 4121 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X