X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier Killed In Horrible Miscommunication

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,46441,00.html

Maaaan! This is horrible!!!!

This breaks my heart to read. I feel allegiance to both camps here, and even if you get PAST the initial shock that this could happen, you still have a situation where THERE ARE NO WINNERS.

Admittedly, I'm glad to read (as a cop) that one officer was able to "win" over two people he percieved as BGs who were posing an immediate and potentially deadly threat, especially two good enough to make it to final stages of Q-course (smart, EXTREMELY fit, determined) I still am heartbroken, as I'll bet the officer is.

I hope he finds solace in the fact that he reacted TOTALLY appropriately with the information he had, and goes on.

There are no winners here, however.

My heart goes out to the family of SGT Phelps.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: SGT Dave ]
    People have more fun than anybody.

If you take that scenrio role playing off post, civilian authorities deserve to be advised.

Bet they will be from now on.

Comment

Ive been looking for this story for a while now. It's a sad thing to happen, but from what is sounds like, the officer feared for his safety, and did the right thing.
      As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,46441,00.html

As they release more details, it becomes even clearer that the deputy acted 100% TEXTBOOK in his actions.

Above that, I'd say he did a DAMN FINE job at handling the situation as he perceived it.

Again, I hope everyone has enough sense to understand where I'm coming from-I'm not ONE BIT "happy" it happened, and my heart goes out to the family of the soldier, but the officer could catch my back anyday.

I hope he is okay also.

Comment

I just sent a letter of support to DEP Butler, via the SO's official mail. I feel he may need to hear that we agree with his call, even more so than if this was a true BG.

If you'd like to send a letter of support, the address is:

[email protected]

<[email protected]>

Comment

What a tragic story but that is what happens when no one communicates. Sad.
            Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

I read about this in the paper today and was truly saddened by this story. I've never heard of a situation like this, I don't know if this is the first time anything like this has ever happened or just the first time I've become aware of it.

Sgt Dave, thanks for posting the Email address. I'm sure he can use all the support he can get to help him through this.
              Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

This is a very sad and tragic occurrence and my heart goes out to everyone involved. A lot of things went very wrong and debriefing/investigating will hopefully bring about positive changes.

It reminded me of a terrifying event I witnessed in another state. Evidently, the local police gave permission for a "terrorist invasion exercise" in the downtown of the city, late at night. Black helicopters, men in black rapelling down ropes to rooftops, various invaders attacking a city building, all with citizens watching in awe and trepidation.

I happened to be on the 8th floor of a building nearby and saw the helicopters. No insignia/military or otherwise. It was very lucky that citizens with private arms did not race to defend the city. If anyone did, it was kept secret.

Only after the "invasion" was over, did city officials see fit to announce the "exercise."

Holy cow!

Friday

Comment

I am saddened that something like this could occur because people did not let everyone outside the post know what was going on. Any time a excersise is occuring that has the potential to leading to off post areas then the local authorties need to be notifies. The fact that they were not notified we now have this tragic situation. I feel for the officer but believe that he did his job to the best of his ability. I hope that he recovers from this and still continues to preform his job. We need good officers out there it would be a shame to lose one.

Klar
                  Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

When I first saw this thread, I assumed that it was a mis-placed and should have been in the War on Terrorism. I only just saw the link to the news article on this site's home page this morning, read it there, then clicked on this thread.

I certainly feel terrible for the soldiers' families, and for the Deputy and his office, but what in blazes was Spec Ops thinking? Did somebody forget to discuss rules of engagement for these scenarios with these 2 soldiers?

I thank God every shift that I have rarely been put in the position of having to unholster my weapon in 26+ years. May God have mercy on everyone's soul in this snafu.
                    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

This has to be hard on everyone involved, I just cannot believe that the Post did not inform any one that part of the exercise was taking place off post. We on occasions have had parts of training take place off post, and there is usually a huge briefing several days before it takes place, and on the day it all happens, there is a walk through. And every one knows what is going to happen, or at least a good sense. Streets are blocked off. And safety measures are in place to prevent such a thing. Only people in the area are those that are directly involved in the exercise. I think some one on that post has some explaining to do. And should be held responsible.

Comment

News is saying now that 1st LT Tallas Tomeny was the one killed.

I may have misread it, or they had details wrong.

Irregardless, my heart goes out to ALL involved.

Comment

I can see it, with the Army, and their famous breakdowns of communication. Not knowing who is supposed to be where, or the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. Twice did I see that stupidity cost a soldier his life. And it was the fault of the brass, who are supposed to have the friggin' brains!

On a lighter side, this reminds me of an incident that happened to me when I was stationed at FT Riley, KS in the early 80's.
                          We finally were scheduled for some meaningful training, aside from the insane PT, working at the motor pool, shining the barracks floors, and all that other sensless crap.
                          We had been given classes in surviving as a POW, and were scheduled for a SERE exercise. For those who don't know, SERE means Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape. The scenario was that we were POW's who had just escaped, and had to make our way back to our "camp"(the barracks) without getting caught, or face a rather nasty debriefing. So, they take us clear to the east side of FT Riley(Camp Forsyth area, for those of you who know), and had to make our way back, alone, to our barracks, overland, about 5 air miles away(Custer Hill, for those of you who may know). We could not travel together, had to stay away from main roads, and were to be alert for "suprises" like we could never expect.
                          I made about a couple of miles, when I get to this wide open area. Full moon(this was at night, I forgot to say), lit up like crazy. With nowhere to hide, I was getting ready to cross this dirt road, when I spotted a car parked about 200 yards down. I thought it might be some neckers, but wasn't sure, so I made the decision to sprint across the road, to a wooded area about 300 yards away.
                          Just as I get across the road, I heard voices calling for someone to stop. I glanced back, and it was two dudes, in civilian clothes, coming after ME! I stumbled in the weeds, and they caught up to me, telling me again to stop. As one grabbed my shirt, I took him off his feet with a simple takedown move. The other made a lunge for me, and I hit him smack in the face, knocking him flat on his can! I then ran like I didn't think I could ever run, and got away.

I get back to the barracks a couple of hours later. I signed in, when I was told the First Sergeant wanted to see me. Not knowing what to think, I reported to his office. He looks me over, and asks me if I'd had a run in with a couple of guys. I laughed, and informed him it was a nice try. He then laughed, and told me to turn around. Sitting there were those two dudes, the one still nursing a bloody nose. They then showed me their badges! Turns out, they were Army CID! I'm lucky I didn't get me a lead enema!
                          What had happened, we were right near the Retraining Brigade, which is essentially a minimum security annex to FT Leavenworth military prison. Appears someone matching my description had gone over the fence that night, and MP's were in the area looking for the dude. CID slid in the area to help, and saw me. Reason I was able to overpower both of them was because they let their guard down; the escapee was not considered dangerous.
                          To add fuel to the fire, they happened to know my 1SG personally; he had been in the CID before transferring to the Infantry.

Thinking I was in big trouble, they laughed, saying it was their fault, for not checking on any training in the area, which they would be sure to do after that.
                          Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4586 users online. 312 members and 4274 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X