Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpa
    replied
    no lowrider cop cars, but lowrider suvs. makes for more stability turning, if hitting curbs, etc etc. Basically brings them down to normal car height or slightly higher.

That does remind me of the movie "who's the man?" where they put hydraulics and a ghetto blaster in the trunk of their squad

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    Originally posted by jpa:
    Police magazine did an issue on using SUVs as a pursuit car, they suggested with some basic mods it would be a lot more viable as a regular patrol vehicle, mainly lowering the suspension, etc.
    OH GREAT, now we are going to have LOWRIDER cop cars??????

Leave a comment:

• jpa
    replied
    My chief bought himself a black durango with some kind of grant for "community policing." It looks sharp, dark tints all around and has all kinds of hidden strobes. He's used it on a couple undercover jobs a few times, nobody knows its a police car. A nearby dept has durangos for the evidence techs. Police magazine did an issue on using SUVs as a pursuit car, they suggested with some basic mods it would be a lot more viable as a regular patrol vehicle, mainly lowering the suspension, etc. I'll see if I can find the issue in my "archives"

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrey
    replied
    I just found the VIN decoder link.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffrey
    replied
    How many of us are driving cars made in Canada?
    There is an easy way to tell if your vehicle is made in Canada. Look at the VIN. The first digit is a country code. If it begins with a "1" it is made in the US (like my '98 Altima), a "2" indicates Canada, a "3" is for Mexico. I don't know any of the others, but I'm sure with a little time, someone could find some sort of chart online.

Leave a comment:

• Blonde Heat
    replied
    I have a 93 4-runner and it has a defect in the speedometer which reads 63,000 miles. The only complaint i have is it goes thru brakes al teh time. Other then that it is the best vehicle ever. I love the reliability of it. But my problem is, I really like the look of the Dodge Durango. The price for a 02 Dodge is going to run me at 22,400. The price of the 4-runner is at least 26,000. I want to trade in the Lexus/cash guzzler when it comes to repairs car for the new one. But i also have 120,000 miles on it I will eat a couple thousand on the trade. I really want that Durango but i think the Toyota will win just because i can see the future economic value of it. Problem is in order to get the new one i need my husbands John Henry on that purchase order and he already stated that if he puts his name on another bill it will be for what he wants. Which is the Toyota 4-Runner Highland sport w/ a hood scoop. Black of course. Ugh!! Arizona heat and a Black vehicle don't go together. And i end up with his red one which has at least 250,000 miles on it. Its in excellent shape because it His Baby! But its old and I think if i cry and carry on i just might be able to pull off getting the atlantic blue Durango.

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    Originally posted by jellybean40:

I know people that were still on Ford warranties that had huge problems with their trucks, and were treated badly to boot. One ended up being a lemon and he finally was given a new one, the other is still suffering. Toyota gives me a free loaner and has for the past 20 years.

That is the DEALER's fault if they were treated badly. My Power Stroke has had it's share of problems, but my dealer did a good job of standing behind it. So did the dealer in Flagstaff after I moved to Arizona. Unfortunately, wayyyy too many car dealers have never heard of "customer service" once the sale is made. And if you bought it else-where, FORGET IT.

So, I am giving a totally shameless plug here to St. George Ford in St. George Utah (tell Shane that Don sent you!) and to Jim Babbitt Ford in Flagstaff Arizona.

As for your feelings on the Toyota, if I were in your shoes, I would STAY with them. They make one hell of a good vehicle!

Leave a comment:

• Niteshift
    replied
    "All I have to say is one thing. Look at who donated monies to the post attack funds on the world trade center and the pentagon and buy your vehicle accordingly.....The Amreican based companies of Ford Chevy and Chrystler all put monies forward all the "rice burner" companies could not have carred less if they helped or not."

Not exactly true.........

There is an email circulating about this. Here are some Asian car makers that DID donate money:

Honda: $1.5 million
    Hyundai: $300K
    Mitsubishi:$240K in cash, in addition to vehicles donated to drive supplies to ground Zero and servicing of vehicles.
    Nissan: $1 million in cash
    Subaru: $1 million in cash and equipment.
    Suzuki: $31k in cash (matching the employee contribution) and a number of SUV's and ATV's.
    Toyota: $1 million, PLUS matching their employees contributions, which ended up being another $930K.

Daewoo and Isuzu didn't have anything on their websites, but that does not mean they didn't contribute.

Ok, so they didn't donate $10 million, but neither did Ford or GM.

You can view the whole thing here: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/cars.htm

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    replied
    Originally posted by klar:
    All I have to say is one thing. Look at who donated monies to the post attack funds on the world trade center and the pentagon and buy your vehicle accordingly.
    I do respect those that donated money. if i found that they had the best vehicle, i would buy from them. i need the vehicle with the least problems and the highest quality, and one that offers a loaner when i get repairs done. i am in a one car, one person family and that's the only way i can leave my car in the shop.

I know people that were still on Ford warranties that had huge problems with their trucks, and were treated badly to boot. One ended up being a lemon and he finally was given a new one, the other is still suffering. Toyota gives me a free loaner and has for the past 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• klar
    replied
    All I have to say is one thing. Look at who donated monies to the post attack funds on the world trade center and the pentagon and buy your vehicle accordingly. I know you have no say in what you drive as a law enforcement officer but you do have a say in what you purchase for yourself. The Amreican based companies of Ford Chevy and Chrystler all put monies forward all the "rice burner" companies could not have carred less if they helped or not. Goes to show you they worship the almighty dollar and want more of Americans hard earned monies. 'nuff said.

Klar

Leave a comment:

• Sig220Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Don:
    First off, I do not agree with ANY government agency using any "rice rocket" or any other foreign automobile. However, that being said, how many of us are driving cars that were made in Canada?
    Don, the days of being easily able to determine what's "domestic" and what's "foreign" are sadly long gone.

You mention so-called "American" cars that are actually Canadian-built, cars such as the Crown Vic and the soon-to-be-discontinued Camaro and Firebird.

However, a lot of supposedly American cars are now being built in Mexico, especially if it's a Chrysler product. I don't know about the Durango, but the full-size Ram is "Hecho en Mexico."

It's even more confusing with the "foreign" makes. Some models are built here, some are built overseas. Certain Mercedes (M Class SUV) and BMW (Z3 roadster) models are ONLY built in the US and exported back to Europe.

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    replied
    Originally posted by JKT:

As for the Dodge trucks: the '02's are going to have to grow on me a little. The new front end looks a little.......odd.
    You know what, i'm actually not sure i've seen the 2002 ones. back when i looked originally, they were 2001. so i will check it out! I had test-driven a Toyota Tundra at the time and it just didnt feel like a truck. i like the truck feel.

I have loved my 4Runner for the reliability...it's a '92 with approx 260K miles right now. i still love it...but it wont last forever. before that i had a Toyota Supra for 11 years...i forget the total mileage on that but it was well over 200K. unfortunately, i cant trade in my cars when the payment book gets thin

If i'm not mistaken, they use some 4Runners in the border patrol also.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]

Leave a comment:

• JKT
    replied
    One of our Officers drives a Durango and loves it. The local Border Patrol has two of them.

As for the Dodge trucks: the '02's are going to have to grow on me a little. The new front end looks a little.......odd.

That's probably because I really like the way my '98 looks.

As to longevity, a friend finally had to have the head replaced on his '97 Dodge Ram 1500.

At over 300,000 miles (mostly highway)

One bad thing about the Dodge trucks (full size anyway), they REALLY like to drink gas.

Of course, that could be due to the fact that mine has a 360 in it. (gets about 14mpg in town)

Did I mention that I like the Dodge trucks?

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    In case there is someone here that I HAVE NOT offended, let me say a little about the Toyota.

First off, I do not agree with ANY government agency using any "rice rocket" or any other foreign automobile. However, that being said, how many of us are driving cars that were made in Canada?

Take a look at the book value of a used Toyota 4 Runner compaired to damn near ANY of the american built SUVs. The 4 runner holds it value better.

WHY? Because they last one hell of a lot longer. I've lost count of the Toyotas that I've seen come across the lot with between two and three hundred thousand miles on them. They often looked like crap, but ran quite well.

That being said, I bought my wife a Jeep Grand Cherokee for Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    FPD

Opinions are like you know what. Everybody has one!

My personal experience with the Durango has not been wonderful. I retired before these came into vogue, but I have driven a few of them in the last couple of years.

IMHO, they LACK POWER, they ride like a lumber wagon, they don't handle very well and they are uncomfortable. Other than that, I guess they are ok.

I'm also curious as to why it is being purchased from a local dealer. Money back into somebody's pocket? Perhaps your state does not have it, but a lot of states have a state purchasing agent for all governement vehicles. All local governments are encouraged to take advantage of the thousands of dollars saved by volume purchase.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4018 users online. 257 members and 3761 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X