300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DODGE DURANGO Police Package

Well...if you read my other post on the "Camaro, Intrepid or Mustang"...nevermind, although everone's input was greatly appreciated!

Our department said now that they are really only looking at the Durango. Our local Dodge dealer is supposed to be getting the specs, but he doesn't know anything about them.

Can anyone give some input on a Police Durango?

...and also some pics to my email of a marked Durnango if you have them.

Thank you all for your input!!
    _ _ _ _ ________________ _ _ _ _
    HTTP://WWW.POFA.ORG
    Please visit and sign the guestbook!

I've yet to read anything good about the Durango's reliability. They seem to do poorly in the mechanical reliability area.

Comment

Can i extend this question a little, tho not in a police-related way... Anyone's views on ANY new Dodge trucks?

I'm going to start looking, and I like some of the Rams and Dakotas. It's scary for me to leave behind my old reliable Toyota.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
      "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I agree Jellybean, I was approved for a new vehicle loan and really was leaning toward the Dodge Durango and am having a hard time not just running to the Toyota dealer and getting a new 4-runner. I love my husbands but i like the looks of the Durango. I was going to invest ina 2002 because i figured since they know about the kinks on the older models they might have fixed the newer models. I really love the blue one that looks black at night.
        "To each his own"

Comment

I'm keeping my old beat up Chevy 4x4. Parts are cheap, it's easy to work on and I know it inside and out and it's reliable.
          "I will not use my patrol car as a desert prerunner unless in pursuit."

Comment

NCHP has issued th Dodge Durango to certain officers - I will try to find a pic. I have e-mailed Dodge some suggestions regarding ways the make the Durango more attractive from a LE prospective. Mostly interior changes to make the controls more accessible once the computer is installed. Also, placing all electronics on a shelf that slides out the back for service and has a single control panel for the camera, lights, siren, and radar.

As far as the Dodge product in general - I own a 2001 Dodge Dakota extended cab and would not trade it for any other vehicle on the market. I could have purchased the full sized pickup but decided that I did not really want that large of a vehicle. So far it has been very reliable. I saw the post about the 4-Runner - I looked at it - too narrow and well... simply not American.

After driving in the Crown Vic it really is a pleasure getting into the Dakota. Not only is it far more comfortable but it handles better and is a lot faster (Magnum
            "There is true glory and true honor, the glory of duty done and the honor of integrity and principles." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

If it helps any, this site http://www.alldata.com will give you an idea as to the repairs the dealers / manufacturers have reported.
              Click on Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls.
              " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

FPD

Opinions are like you know what. Everybody has one!

My personal experience with the Durango has not been wonderful. I retired before these came into vogue, but I have driven a few of them in the last couple of years.

IMHO, they LACK POWER, they ride like a lumber wagon, they don't handle very well and they are uncomfortable. Other than that, I guess they are ok.

I'm also curious as to why it is being purchased from a local dealer. Money back into somebody's pocket? Perhaps your state does not have it, but a lot of states have a state purchasing agent for all governement vehicles. All local governments are encouraged to take advantage of the thousands of dollars saved by volume purchase.
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

In case there is someone here that I HAVE NOT offended, let me say a little about the Toyota.

First off, I do not agree with ANY government agency using any "rice rocket" or any other foreign automobile. However, that being said, how many of us are driving cars that were made in Canada?

Take a look at the book value of a used Toyota 4 Runner compaired to damn near ANY of the american built SUVs. The 4 runner holds it value better.

WHY? Because they last one hell of a lot longer. I've lost count of the Toyotas that I've seen come across the lot with between two and three hundred thousand miles on them. They often looked like crap, but ran quite well.

That being said, I bought my wife a Jeep Grand Cherokee for Christmas.
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

One of our Officers drives a Durango and loves it. The local Border Patrol has two of them.

As for the Dodge trucks: the '02's are going to have to grow on me a little. The new front end looks a little.......odd.

That's probably because I really like the way my '98 looks.

As to longevity, a friend finally had to have the head replaced on his '97 Dodge Ram 1500.

At over 300,000 miles (mostly highway)

One bad thing about the Dodge trucks (full size anyway), they REALLY like to drink gas.

Of course, that could be due to the fact that mine has a 360 in it. (gets about 14mpg in town)

Did I mention that I like the Dodge trucks?
                    Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by JKT:

As for the Dodge trucks: the '02's are going to have to grow on me a little. The new front end looks a little.......odd.
                      You know what, i'm actually not sure i've seen the 2002 ones. back when i looked originally, they were 2001. so i will check it out! I had test-driven a Toyota Tundra at the time and it just didnt feel like a truck. i like the truck feel.

I have loved my 4Runner for the reliability...it's a '92 with approx 260K miles right now. i still love it...but it wont last forever. before that i had a Toyota Supra for 11 years...i forget the total mileage on that but it was well over 200K. unfortunately, i cant trade in my cars when the payment book gets thin

If i'm not mistaken, they use some 4Runners in the border patrol also.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                      "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by Don:
                        First off, I do not agree with ANY government agency using any "rice rocket" or any other foreign automobile. However, that being said, how many of us are driving cars that were made in Canada?
                        Don, the days of being easily able to determine what's "domestic" and what's "foreign" are sadly long gone.

You mention so-called "American" cars that are actually Canadian-built, cars such as the Crown Vic and the soon-to-be-discontinued Camaro and Firebird.

However, a lot of supposedly American cars are now being built in Mexico, especially if it's a Chrysler product. I don't know about the Durango, but the full-size Ram is "Hecho en Mexico."

It's even more confusing with the "foreign" makes. Some models are built here, some are built overseas. Certain Mercedes (M Class SUV) and BMW (Z3 roadster) models are ONLY built in the US and exported back to Europe.

Comment

All I have to say is one thing. Look at who donated monies to the post attack funds on the world trade center and the pentagon and buy your vehicle accordingly. I know you have no say in what you drive as a law enforcement officer but you do have a say in what you purchase for yourself. The Amreican based companies of Ford Chevy and Chrystler all put monies forward all the "rice burner" companies could not have carred less if they helped or not. Goes to show you they worship the almighty dollar and want more of Americans hard earned monies. 'nuff said.

Klar
                          Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by klar:
                            All I have to say is one thing. Look at who donated monies to the post attack funds on the world trade center and the pentagon and buy your vehicle accordingly.
                            I do respect those that donated money. if i found that they had the best vehicle, i would buy from them. i need the vehicle with the least problems and the highest quality, and one that offers a loaner when i get repairs done. i am in a one car, one person family and that's the only way i can leave my car in the shop.

I know people that were still on Ford warranties that had huge problems with their trucks, and were treated badly to boot. One ended up being a lemon and he finally was given a new one, the other is still suffering. Toyota gives me a free loaner and has for the past 20 years.

Comment

"All I have to say is one thing. Look at who donated monies to the post attack funds on the world trade center and the pentagon and buy your vehicle accordingly.....The Amreican based companies of Ford Chevy and Chrystler all put monies forward all the "rice burner" companies could not have carred less if they helped or not."

Not exactly true.........

There is an email circulating about this. Here are some Asian car makers that DID donate money:

Honda: $1.5 million
                              Hyundai: $300K
                              Mitsubishi:$240K in cash, in addition to vehicles donated to drive supplies to ground Zero and servicing of vehicles.
                              Nissan: $1 million in cash
                              Subaru: $1 million in cash and equipment.
                              Suzuki: $31k in cash (matching the employee contribution) and a number of SUV's and ATV's.
                              Toyota: $1 million, PLUS matching their employees contributions, which ended up being another $930K.

Daewoo and Isuzu didn't have anything on their websites, but that does not mean they didn't contribute.

Ok, so they didn't donate $10 million, but neither did Ford or GM.

You can view the whole thing here: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/cars.htm

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2817 users online. 157 members and 2660 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X