300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Law enforcement

I wanted to find out other opinons on this topic. I think that specific jobs in the military dealing with Law Enforcement should have its members qualified as military/civilian officers. The reason I say this is b/c I was a reserve/partime officer for 3 years in Mississippi. I joined the military and now I am Narcotics officer, Swat tactics and High risk management. I understand having to go through state law and regs where ever you are, but the other side is what gets me. I have been through PPCT, Handcuffing, Defensive tactics, ect... About 10 times. Now when I get out I have to go through another academy do all of these qualifications again to become a civilian officer. Its all the exact same criteria from defensive tactics to use of force policy. I think in the military we should be qualified for both and then if you choose LE on the outside attend the laws classes. What do you guys think?

I don't know exactly how the military operates its training, but if it is the exact same, then that's just how it is. You have to just suck it up and go through it again. It sucks, but everyone has their own spin on the training, no matter how similar it is.
    Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

Yeah, there is no kind of "transfer" of training or "certification" from the military police to civilian. Of course civilian agencies will see what type of trianing and experiences that you have and may bump you up on the list of applicants to be hired.
      But then again one just never knows! Seeing how the Army runs and still teaches AIT classes at the 8th grade level and given my first hand experience with MP's on my post and now overseas A.O. I'll let you decide for yourself.

Comment

I just see that they are most likely looking at a liability issue. If they don't train you "thier" way either in a lateral type academy or newbie one, they could be open to lawsuits if you (whovever) hurts someone, The reason is that you weren't "trained" by the dept.
        Your schools maybe fine once you get in so that you don't have to go through the same school twice.

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

MPs are all diferent. I have no idea what they do other than patrol around a base and respond to disputes outside the base involving the enlisted. I didn't even know they had a SWAT team. On a STATE Level, I know that some states will accept other agencies certs, my example is FLORIDA. Although I have FEDERAL TRAINING FLORIDA will accept it and all I have to do is take a 2 or 3 week course in Florida laws. When I take the course.. I will become FLORIDA STATE CERTIFIED and can apply to any agency and get hired without going to an academy....however there is still FTO but thats another story... can any of you FL officers give me an amen
          Last edited by sob153; 04-08-2005, 11:01 AM.
          live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

I don't know what it's like now, but when I went through the US Army MP School, the law enforcement training was pathetically outdated. As a matter of fact, the instructor we had for handcuffing was a reservist on TDY who was a San Bernadino (CA) Deputy Sheriff. After he showed us the way the school wanted and we passed the test, he then showed us the correct way to do it.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by sob153
              MPs are all diferent. I have no idea what they do other than patrol around a base and respond to disputes outside the base involving the enlisted. I didn't even know they had a SWAT team. On a STATE Level, I know that some states will accept other agencies certs, my example is FLORIDA. Although I have FEDERAL TRAINING FLORIDA will accept it and all I have to do is take a 2 or 3 week course in Florida laws. When I take the course.. I will become FLORIDA STATE CERTIFIED and can apply to any agency and get hired without going to an academy....however there is still FTO but thats another story... can any of you FL officers give me an amen
              I concur.

I thought that I knew some officers here (in Florida) that due to their military police experience only had to go through the 2 week course and take the certification exam and were good to go. Have you checked into that? If I were you I'd ask around at different academies.

Comment

With my past 14yrs in the Army, I have noticed that the type of training that MP's get is relly based on what the "hot" topic or issues are for the area. For example when I was stationed up in Alaska, the big two were domestic violence and DUI. So the MP's in Alaska were very well trained and versed in D/V and DUI. Now the MP's at Fort Carson, Colo. are very well trained at driving around, drinking coffee and soda and giving out parking and speeding citations, as far as I have seen so far. Due to the OIF deployments a large part of MP's have been replaced by D.A. (Department of the Army) Civilian Police officers.
                It's just best to use what the Army teaches you as a baseline or guide and then forget the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by sob153
                  IM not in the U.S. Army, Im with the U.S. Coast Guard and Its totally different. We dont handle on base stuff. We actually go out in the world and conduct law enforcement. The reason I wrote this is because I want to go to the FHP and DOnt want the 6 month academy. Where I come from it was only 16 weeks. I guess I will do what I have to do either way.

Comment

Originally posted by TacTeamSouth
                    IM not in the U.S. Army, Im with the U.S. Coast Guard and Its totally different. We dont handle on base stuff. We actually go out in the world and conduct law enforcement. The reason I wrote this is because I want to go to the FHP and DOnt want the 6 month academy. Where I come from it was only 16 weeks. I guess I will do what I have to do either way.
                    You didn
                    live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

we have a guy that was a airforce police....as compared to
                      airforce security....he inquired about the comparative compliance
                      and was allowed to do so.

I am sure the coast guard, in their quasi-military state has the same
                      training equal to that " civillian " and a comparative compliance
                      course would be more than likely.

fhp...you'd have to contact them for more up to date info...

certain periods of time they are taking certified police and going thru

a short in house academy " how F.H.P." does things .

other times...no matter who ya are, yr goingthru their gung ho academy.

in any event , best of luck in sunny fla

www.schackdaddy.com
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by TacTeamSouth
                        No one WANTS to go through the police academy, but it's a right of passage that you must get through if you want to earn your badge. Even if you did find a way around it, trust me, you'd catch a lot of **** from your co-workers for being a slacker.

The reason that most state police/highway patrol academies are longer is that they can teach you the specifics that are unique for that agency. For example, city & town police in MA go through a "generic" academy that might have 10 different agencies represented in a class. They don't teach you such things as what forms to fill out when you make an arrest, because each agency is different (although how to write a report is taught). After graduation, the trainee officers can expect another 3-4 weeks classroom instruction at their PD on policies and procedure, before the 8-week FTO program.

BTW...if you think you're going "out in the world", you're being a bit naive. You're going to find out that maritime law enforcement has virtually nothing to do with being a street cop.
                        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                          No one WANTS to go through the police academy, but it's a right of passage that you must get through if you want to earn your badge. Even if you did find a way around it, trust me, you'd catch a lot of **** from your co-workers for being a slacker.

The reason that most state police/highway patrol academies are longer is that they can teach you the specifics that are unique for that agency. For example, city & town police in MA go through a "generic" academy that might have 10 different agencies represented in a class. They don't teach you such things as what forms to fill out when you make an arrest, because each agency is different (although how to write a report is taught). After graduation, the trainee officers can expect another 3-4 weeks classroom instruction at their PD on policies and procedure, before the 8-week FTO program.

BTW...if you think you're going "out in the world", you're being a bit naive. You're going to find out that maritime law enforcement has virtually nothing to do with being a street cop.
                          As stated before, I was a street cop for three years, I know what its like on both sides. I have no problem going to another academy, I just want to get my final career going and get some time behind me.

Comment

"You're going to find out that maritime law enforcement has virtually nothing to do with being a street cop."

I couldn't agree more with this comment.

The military and civilian law enforcement have totally different goals, policies and procedures. Personally I think it is wrong that any state gives lateral status to military police officers. I talk to guys on both sides and it's easy to see who the real cops are. No offense intended to the folks in the armed forces.
                            It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

five years of Military Police (must be 5 of law enforcement not security) will allow you take the resiprcity test here in MN. I thought that the USAF Security Forces training when it came to law enforcement was right on with current teaching however it is very very short, they depend alot on base FT to take up the slack.
                              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2937 users online. 199 members and 2738 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X