300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport Security, luggage, etc

I have a quick question...has anyone heard that you cannot lock your luggage now? It's not a big deal, I can leave the locks at home if need be.

Thanks in advance!
    "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

I remember seeing people on the news talking about how their locks were cut off of their luggage. seems like that was about a month ago. i dont know why they just couldnt have you unlock it oh well... maybe someone can give you better info.
    "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

That is correct, you can't lock it. Also, they say don't put film in your checked luggage, because it will be x-rayed. And don't put food in your checked luggage-- apparently some foods (cheese?) x-ray like some dangerous substances. Last month when I picked up my baggage after a flight, I noticed that some empty pockets had been left unzipped, so I do believe they are checking carefully.
      We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
      but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry. I hope they like rummaging through my underwear because that's about all I'll have in there..well, my clothes too!

No locks here....wouldn't want to break the rules! Any other tips? I've flown last August but didn't know if there'd been any more changes.
        "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

Other tips:

1. Get there early. You never know when there's gonna be a long line at the security checkpoint.

2. Thanks to Richard "the Shoe Bomber" Reid, expect to have your shoes thoroughly inspected, so don't wear anything that's not easy to remove. While I've never been asked to remove mine, I have seen it done to others.

3. For the guys: if you're carrying a jacket, I find it's easier to empty my pants pockets and put their contents (along with things like my watch, wallet, cell phone, etc.) into the jacket pockets, rather than those plastic trays. The jacket then goes through the conveyor belt, which is mandatory (you cannot wear it through the metal detector). That way when you get to the other side, you can simply pick up your jacket and carry on(s) and go, rather than fumbling around to pick up the little things like loose change. The TSA people will provide you with a plastic tray large enough to hold the jacket, to prevent it from getting soiled or caught in the conveyor belt.

4. Some airports now require you to have a boarding pass in order to get through the checkpoint (some simply require a ticket only, and can let you obtain your seating assignment at the gate if you have no checked baggage, or if you're flying Southwest which doesn't assign seats at all).

5. I noticed the ticket agents are no longer asking stuff like "Has anybody asked you to carry items for them" or "Has your baggage remained in your constant care and control since you packed them."

Comment

Southwest doesn't assign seats? Do we fight for them?

Comment

yep, but only after you pass thru screaning, so your tactical options are limited. I recommend the ol' hot cup of coffee in the face trick for the truely nasty opponents. A simple knee to the groin ought to work for the rest.

Actually, I've flown SW several times and so far have never had to hurt anyone -- just be sure to get there early. They assign numbered boarding passes on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you get there early enough you can have your pick of which seat to sit in (on the other hand, they do do a good job of filling up their flights, so you can also count on all the seats near you being filled too ).

[ 02-23-2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: PeacefulDragon ]
              "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. " -- ???

Comment

Well I made it here alive and actually had a great flight. Little did I know that it didn't say we were flying into tampa first! But, it was ok. The flight from Tampa had only 13 people on the plane. Needless to say it was a quiet flight and I've never sat backwards in a plane before!

Got burned yesterday...geez...the sun wasn't even out very long! Today I have spf 50 on my face and am off to the beach. Nite, where the heck are ya? We're bored with nothing to do. LOL

This 80 degree weather is really hard to take! See ya'lls later!

Comment

Glad you made it! have a great time with your fun in the sun... it's snowing here again [Frown]
                  "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by PeacefulDragon:
                    yep, but only after you pass thru screaning, so your tactical options are limited. I recommend the ol' hot cup of coffee in the face trick for the truely nasty opponents. A simple knee to the groin ought to work for the rest.

seeking a career in law enforcement with LVMPD.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by PeacefulDragon:

remind me to stay away from you if you are ever on the same flight i am on when i board for southwest. lol that cracked me up!!
                      seeking a career in law enforcement with LVMPD.

Comment

The last time I flew was in November 2001, and I couldn't even take a 3 tool key-ring knife (file, bottle-opener/screwdriver, very dull 1.25" knife blade) with me (and I was flying from that known center for terrorism (Regina, Saskatchewan) to the next target for North Korean aggression (Hamilton, Ontario)).

However, getting to the airport WAY early, and showing a badge, I DID get to sit in the front row(which, flying with the no-frills carrier that I was, probably saved me a blown-out knee from being cramped in any other row). No, I wasn't carrying, but I looked mean!
                        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

My husband flies frequently and hates it. I gave him a thing to hang on his neck that carries ID and boarding passes. He kind of shrugged his shoulders when I gave it to him but I notice he takes it with him each time he flies.

Comment

I can't believe my trip is almost over. I have to fly back home on Tuesday. YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had a week of 80 + degrees here. And, never did get to meet Nite..boo hoo....maybe next time. We saw the swamp buggy races today, wasn't impressed. Back home the amateur nascar races are 10x better. There's no carnage here?!

Comment

So many of these airport security measures are window dressing. You can kill someone in a heartbeat with the plastic utensils from airline meals. If they did a little PROFILING in the first place, the hijackers never would have had the opportunity in the first place.

Just one more reason why I will just fly myself. Unfortunately, when I go back east, renting a plane is still way too expensive, so I'm stuck dealing with the TSA idiots, two-hour delays and sitting in seat 22-C between Bertha in her mumu and some walking ashtray.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4666 users online. 272 members and 4394 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X