300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 FREAKIN' degrees!

THAT is what the LOW for this Friday night is supposed to be. [Eek!] And all this time, I thought I lived in THE SOUTH!
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Try -20 on for size
    On the wings of a dove
    Let's roll for justice
    Let's roll for truth
    Let's not let our children grow up
    Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

Hey Shooter, It's a mild 25 degrees up here. I haven't even got around to wearin' a jacket yet!!
      Come on up where it's warm.
      " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

It's 28 here, really nice out

i just took the dog for a walk and we loved it. as long as i have my warm polarfleece coat on, with the hood, i'm fine. and no ice is coming down!
        "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

shooter, shooter, shooter....

it was minus 7 at the bank when I went by this morning. I live another 850 UP the mountain from there, so usually at least a 5-10 degree difference (on the negative scale) and it's wide open, so there's ALWAYS wind.

We have teletypes advising of DEADLY temperatures and windchills headed our way for the end of the week.

And I have a farm. Gotta go out in it regardles.

However, I *don't* have to FTO for free in this weather... I took an OT shift in nice, warm dispatch instead...

Comment

Shooter... SUCK IT UP MAN... stop being a baby.
            Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

yesterday as the wind was kicking up and snow was blowing all over the place i was on the phone with a law enforcement agency in Pinal County AZ. she was rubbing it in that is was 75 degrees and sunny!! then when she sent over a fax she made a point to re-emphasize that fact.
              I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Shooter, I feel your pain.

If you live in MinneSNOWta, you expect really cold weather and own clothing for it.

But when you live in a place where getting down in the upper 30's is very unusual, then it seems REALLY cold. You're not used to it and you're not equipped for it. Hell, some agencies around here don't even issue long sleeve shirts!

But will I get sympathy? Hell no! I'll just hear how much colder it is in places I was smart enough to move out of nearly 20 years ago.

Comment

It's been in the low 30's here, with highs of 40's and 50's. And I still see people in shorts. They may have a jacket on and sneakers instead of sandals but they still have shorts on.
                  I remember in 1989 when we had that freak dip in the jetsteam and we got snow and ice for 2 days. There were lots of accidents because that was so unusual. I remember one man died because he got out of his car over an overpass to look at the snow and icesicles and slipped on the ice and fell off the bridge.
                  We all had a ball, having snow fighst and all. We didn't get a tremendous amount of snow but enough to make some snowballs. And it was beautiful because people turned their sprinkler on. It was like a winter wonderland....in Florida!

Comment

Mitzi...IIRC, that wasn't 1989...it was Christmas weekend, 1990.

As mentioned, 9* may not seem COLD to some of you...but this IS supposed to be THE SOUTH(Pole?). What makes it WORSE, is the past couple of days, the temps have been in the 50s*.
                    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

Shooter,

In 30 below, exposed flesh will begin to freeze in 30 seconds.

When you spit, the saliva will make a cracking noise BEFORE it hits the ground at about 39 below.

At 32 below, you will notice a hot cup of water thrown into the air will burst into frozen steam and float away before any of it hits the ground.

You can tell the temp by blowing bubbles outside and noting how far they get before they freeze, fall to the ground, and shatter into a million pieces.

Come on up to Minnesota and you'll learn really quick what cold is. The next time I have to go out and cut wood for the heater in 80 below wind chill, I'll remember how tuff you have it.

H&K-Guy

Comment

It's all PERSPECTIVES and CONDITIONING.

I remember Christmas, 1984...Knoxville, TN. WE'd left 65* and sun in Florida and woke up the next morning to snow and wind chills of -60*. I know about COLD....and I don't like it!

I wasn't asking for sympathy, just stating that 9* was too cold for THE SOUTH.

[ 01-14-2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]

Comment

Hmm...It's sunny and about 68. Think I'll stroll over to the beach for lunch
                          Paul

Comment

PelicanDriver,

You are the spawn of Satan!!! [Wink]

The wind chill here in Minneapolis was -13 last time I checked.

H&K-Guy

Comment

Shooter, it's my fault. I just figured it out.

December, 1990, my family and I went down to Florida. I was in 6th grade, and was looking forward to swimming in the ocean. Well, as some of you may remember, Winter of 1990 saw a record breaking cold snap. People were blowing out their heaters and suffering from brown-outs.

Well, last night my wife and I were discussing heading back down to Florida to have fun this February.

Coincidence? I think not...If I every actually leave NH, you can bet everything south of the Mason-Dixon line will have at least a foot of snow on the ground. [Wink]

[ 01-14-2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Lictalon ]
                              I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4051 users online. 246 members and 3805 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X