300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I do everyday

I have been reading the tales that people have posted about life as a LEO. I thought I would post a link to what I deal with in tech support. None of these are mine, but I am sure that I have talked to some of these customers before. I am still writing up a page for my personal stories from doing support. I know that this in no way compares to life in Law Enforcement, but I am sure we can all agree that truth is stranger than fiction.

Tech Support Tales.
    An axe can make any computer problem seem like hours of fun.

Originally posted by ubergeek:
    I thought I would post a link to what I deal with in tech support. None of these are mine, but I am sure that I have talked to some of these customers before.

Sometimes, it's the tech support people that don't know what they're doing. I've run into this more times than I can say. I know more than them and when I tell them that something is wrong, they don't believe me.
    It can be anything from hardware to software.
    FREE Website Development for Law Enforcement
    <a href="http://police-websites.org" target="_blank">http://police-websites.org</a>

Comment

PoliceWeb, you are correct. I know a whole lot about computers. Been writing programs and working on the hardware since the early eighties.

Most of the tech people I talk to refuse to listen to what I am telling them, because they assume everybody is an idiot.

Case in point:

My computer died. The power light would come on, but nothing else. You know when a computer boots up it reads the CD drive, the floppy drive and then the hard drive. While this is happening, a message appears on your screen depending on the OS.

I told the guy it would not come on and he says what's on the screen. I said, A message saying the monitor is working and to check the power to the computer or the connection to the computer.

He said, is it on? I said yes. He said turn it off and then on again. I did. He said what is on the screen now? I said, a message saying the monitor works and to check the computer. He said he thought I had a problem with my monitor. I said no, the computer won't start. I asked him if he had ever used a computer and he said yes. I said well then you know how when it boots it first reads the CD drive, the floppy drive and then the hard drive? He said yes. I said well it's not doing that. He said how do I know? I said because the drive lights are not coming on and no boot message is appearing on the screen.

He said to check the monitor cable. I said ok, it's plugged in. He finally said he thought I had a bad hard drive and to send it back in. They fixed it, but no one would tell me what was wrong with it, and when I got it back, all my 'stuff' was still on the hard drive.

Comment

I do internet support which is extremely frustrating. I have no problem helping people set up their computers, or troubleshooting connections. I have a problem with the ones who call with the same problem every time and never learn to fix it themselves.

I know what you mean about having problems with techs. The problem is that most companies farm out their support to serivce bureaus, so you are talking to someone who, more than likely has had less expereince with the product than you have. They also have to deal with call stats and the managers that live by them. Basically a tech gets chewed out for being on the phone with a customer for too long (usually more than 5 minutes). On the other hand they give bonuses for getting you off the phone quickly (some places).

I was lucky enough to have a boss that believed if you had a personality you should use it. My training was not from a book it was by fire. On my first day they looked at me and said "there is your desk, here are the passwords you need. Good luck". I stubled for the first few days, but I learned it much faster that way.
        An axe can make any computer problem seem like hours of fun.

Comment

I have a problem with the ones who call with the same problem every time and never learn to fix it themselves.
          I'll bet these are the same folks who like to get into the settings and "tinker" with them!
          6P1 (retired)

Comment

Basically a tech gets chewed out for being on the phone with a customer for too long (usually more than 5 minutes). On the other hand they give bonuses for getting you off the phone quickly (some places).
            Obviously not at this place because I told him the problem and the part I needed and he spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone only to turn around and agree with me.
            FREE Website Development for Law Enforcement
            <a href="http://police-websites.org" target="_blank">http://police-websites.org</a>

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6274 users online. 367 members and 5907 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X