Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple pie question

This is not a joke.

Lately I have been making an apple pie from scratch every other weekend. They are delicious. I use about eight or nine apples, and mix the apple types to get a good flavor. Once you figure out how long to cook them so the apples are soft, MAN! yum tum!

Yesterday I bought a group of apples including 2 'gala' apples. today when I was slicing them up, I tasted one like I always do. It was awful! It had absolutely no taste whatsoever. It was like eating paper. Gross. So I trashed them and used two more granny smith apples.

Anybody ever heard of these things?

PS: I am a good cook, so don't start!

You probably got ahold of some that weren't as fresh as they should have been.

Most of the gala apples I've had tasted like a cross between a red delicious and a golden delicious.

Love them granny smith's shough...
    Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

ROFLMAO....

This isn't helping your "manly" image any.. Do you wear a frilly apron? While you're baking pies is your wife out deer hunting?

What is your recipe for the crust? LOL... We should have a section for on here for the "women" to exchange recipes... hee hee.. and before any one gets MAD, I think it's really great to see men who are able to cook !!
      Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

Well, I do believe in surviving....

Actually, I started cooking years ago. People come to our house during the holidays for my food, and especially the pastries. I learned to make EVERYTHING from scratch, and them I mellowed and started using ready made crusts and stuff like that. Crusts are easy though, you just have to experiment to get the right flour to oil to water ratio, and get it thin enough.

I have a great potato candy recipe.

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: MikeTx ]

Comment

I agree Fast_1 it is wonderful to see men cooking. If it wasnt for klar, me and my son's would only ever eat pizza and burger king. I HATE COOKING!! In today's society, when both in a relationship work full time, its nice to be able to share the responsibility of cooking or baking.
          Mother is the name for God on the lips and in the hearts of all children.

Comment

This MUST be a joke !!! lol
            Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

No joke.

8 medium size apples very thinly sliced.
              a little more than 1 cup sugar.
              1 teaspoon cinnamon.
              a dash of nutmeg.
              2 tblspns butter
              2 tblespns flour to firm it up.
              pie crust for deep dish pie.

Dot pie with butter before placing top crust.

I personally cook mine for 1 hour and five minutes at 400 degrees. I cover the edges with aluminum foil for the first 15 minutes to reduce burning the crust. It comes out very good.

If the apples lack tartness, a teaspoon or so of lemon juice is in order.

I can make many other pies and desserts as well. My chocolate souffle was delish, but I don't usually make exotic things like that. You need a class three license!

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: MikeTx ]

Comment

Pecan pies are even easier to make.

Comment

I would suggest... after placing the apple in. Take very little (1/8 cup) of fresh orange juice and drizzle it on the apples... this will give your apple pie a VERY distinct sweetness when it's done and you won't be able to tell where it came from......

Comment

I prefer Granny Smith, and grind fresh spices. I also use lard in the crust.
                    Dave Kiefner
                    [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

Originally posted by MikeTx:

Yesterday I bought a group of apples including 2 'gala' apples. today when I was slicing them up, I tasted one like I always do. It was awful! It had absolutely no taste whatsoever. It was like eating paper. Gross. So I trashed them and used two more granny smith apples.
                      Anybody ever heard of these things?
                      I mentioned the taste of certain apples to a guy that was in the business. He said that once the apple is picked it does not stop ripening therefore to retard the process the put them in "cold storage" vaults until they are to be sold. I believe he said they use nitrogen in this process.
                      In any event, this process somehow affects the natural sugar reactions within the apple and can make them taste terrible.
                      His suggestion was, know what area of the country they come from and do not buy them to far out of season.
                      " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Damn you Mike.....now I have a hankering for a apple pie. My doctor told me to drop a few thousand calories a day The receipe (along with the orange juice) sounds delish.

I always make the T-day dinner. I always bake a couple pumpkin pies in a graham cracker crust. Since my wife is a chocoalcohlic, she brings home a french silk chocolate pie. After the dinner dust settles there is usually a extra piece of "Punkin" pie for me.

Damn you Mike.... see what you did
                        "The view only changes for the lead dog." ~ Sergeant Preston of The Yukon ~

Comment

I use Granny Smith apples for my "apple dumpling" recipe.

You first have to hollow out the center of the apple(take the core out). Then you stuff it with a mix of melted butter, raisins and dates.

Then you make your basic pie dough and roll it out into a circle large enough to wrap up around the apple. Use water to seal the edges. Then bake in the oven at 350F in a pan lined with foil,till the dough is crispy, usually about 35 minutes. But before the 35 minutes is up, I'd say about 10 minutes before, take out the apples and brush the tops with real maple syrup.
                          Royce is a Lady

Comment

I'm still having problems picturing Mike The Gourmet.

I'm impressed! I really wouldn't have figured Mike for much more than cheese dip for nachos. I agree it sounds good-might have to do with a Mrs. Smith's for now. I also like Apple Crunch(es)

Some other recipes I'm looking forward to, after Maniacal Mike's Apple Pie:

Niteshift's Screamin' Gator Wings (with Panamanian Sauce) (guar-an-teed to turn YOUR hair red, on both ends)

Don's Desert Flower (similar to a blooming onion)

ftrphxcop's Wildcat Tea

JKT’s Jackburgers

Wonderwoman’s Canadian Coffee

Kateykake’s Damn Yankee Steak and Cheese

Kateykake’s Tasty Kakes (handy snack for those long trips down I 95)

Shooter 1201’s Crayfish Chili (he’s close enough to the MS line to make a mean mudbug dish!)

Crazy Pete’s Saskatchewan Fritters

Guard Dog’s Chi-town Hotdogs (good for watching the S-bowl and da Bearz.)

Gilbert’s Tea Biscuits (with Marmite)

Anyone else think of any recipes they’d like to see forthcoming?
                            People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

I love Fuji apples and Gala apples for eating.

I love apple pie!
                              I love a man that cooks! Let alone BAKES!
                              (since i dont do much of either)

I did think this thread was a joke when i read the title, since "American Pie" was just on TV the other nite.

PS. i do make baked apples; whole, with the core removed and filled with all kinds of goo
                              "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3930 users online. 210 members and 3720 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X