300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying questions

I'm sure a similar thread has been created, but since I'm new I'll start this. Forgive me if there has been a similar one in the past. For all others, add your comments.

I work in a small town. I HATE when drunks ask me for a ride home. Here are some of the responses I give to some of the common questions.

Q: I need a ride.
    A: Does this look like a taxi to you?

Q: Why can't you give me a ride?
    A: This car goes only one place... jail. Do you wanna go?

Q: What if I freeze to death walking home. (Winter of course)
    A: I'll call you an ambulance.

Q: Would it make a difference if my brother was a cop?
    A: No, you'll still go to jail.

Q: C'mon I don't live that far.
    A: Then you can walk.

Q: I'm too drunk to drive home.
    A: I didn't force you to drink.

I need responses for the next couple.

Q: Aren't you suppose to serve and protect?
    Q: You're forcing me to drive home drunk?

Thanks all.

Actually, if I come upon a drunk in the dead of winter, passed out in a snowbank, or stumbling around so bad hes a danger of getting nailed by a car, I offer a ride home. I also work for a small town, and I just chalk it up to community service. If some beligerant jerk comes up to me demanding a ride because thats my job, i'll usually tell em to shove it.
    "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Do yall hate it when people ask you for directions?

I am only asking because, we got lost in a small town once and I saw a cop standing by his car. I wanted to ask for help , but hubby said he was not a map and I would insult him.......I said I would not if I was sweet and honest as to why I was asking. He rolled his eyes. We drove around for about 10 more minutes until hubby finally asked someone at a gas station.

Was he right?

Comment

Ask me for all the directions you like, doesnt bother me.
        "I only had a couple!"

Comment

My favorite is when somebody asks "Officer, do you know how to get to such and such location?" I look at them, say "Yes", and go back to what I was doing.

I admit I wait a few seconds for the shock to set in and then try to help, but I like the shock value.

Comment

Originally posted by 7mmMag
            Ask me for all the directions you like, doesnt bother me.
            Thanks..come to think of it, I will bet my husband was just embarrassed for me to ask another man..."Oh the sweet little wife helping out the lost husband...poor baby." (that needs to be said in your best Homer Simpson voice, of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
              Thanks..come to think of it, I will bet my husband was just embarrassed for me to ask another man..."Oh the sweet little wife helping out the lost husband...poor baby." (that needs to be said in your best Homer Simpson voice, of course)
              No problem, the embarrassment thing kinda makes sense. You know, probably akin to stopping at the old gas station for directions, no man likes that, even me.
              "I only had a couple!"

Comment

I am only asking because, we got lost in a small town once and I saw a cop standing by his car. I wanted to ask for help , but hubby said he was not a map and I would insult him.......I said I would not if I was sweet and honest as to why I was asking. He rolled his eyes. We drove around for about 10 more minutes until hubby finally asked someone at a gas station.

Was he right?
                I don't mind giving directions to people. I once had a guy ask me how to get to a residence that I knew was trafficing drugs. Needless to say I stopped him for speeding about 3 minutes later and he had made a sale On the other hand, it is a way to give people a positive impression of the department and me specifically in the event we cross paths in the future under different circumstance. If someone is not from the area and is pleasant, it is also nice to have someone to talk to that is not one of the resident dirt bags. Just don't go telling your husband he was wrong. If he is like most of us married men, he hears that on occasion from you about more serious things. Use it too much and it will lose its sting.
                " (T)o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.... " Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Comment

Sometimes being a Police Officer really isn't being a Police Officer OK. My patch on my sholder states POLICE however, the public reads MR. KNOW IT ALL or INFORMATION. When I was in uniform in DC, that was all I was asked, question upon question. Now I am a nice guy, always tries to help and I always go above and beyond the call, so I always tried my best to give the correct info. However, we are all different, and some cops just get tired of answering the SAME question OVER AND OVER. I think that is why some cops gets ****ed off when asked or it could be just a bad day. We are human ya know.
                  live everyday as if it your last...because one day it will be

Comment

Was he right?

You can always ask me for directions. I just get a little embarrassed when I have to get out a map and confirm which I usually have to do if it's on the other side of town.

Edited to add: I do get annoyed when I'm asked directions on how to get to another town. I sometimes don't know. And people get a little miffed that I don't know because I am a policeman and I'm expected to know how to get anywhere. I try to kindly remind them that what they're asking me is not in my city. heck, most of the time I've never even been where they're trying to get.
                    Last edited by padowan; 03-23-2005, 07:00 PM.

Comment

It does get annoying after awhile to be asked for directions, but I consider it good PR so I don't mind. At one event I worked not that long ago I was on my bike and an elderly woman pulled up next to me at a gas station to ask how to get somewhere, before I could finish I literally had a line of 5 cars waiting to ask me for directions. The only thing that really bothers me is when I'm working in one part of our county, which I'm not very familiar with and people ask me how to get to 123 Street, and when I say I'm not exactly sure they get all ****ed off and drive away. I know I SHOULD know but come on, its a fairly large area and impossible to know every road.
                      Last edited by LiveWire03; 03-23-2005, 09:15 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

I always have to pick up drunks because 9 months out of the year they're always within 10 minutes of freezing to death. We usually miss one or two each year.

Comment

Was he right?
                          I really don't mind giving directions either (you can't when you police a city where every other friggin' street is named "Peachtree" something or other..). What I do hate however is giving directions to the bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by RCMP
                            I work in a small town. I HATE when drunks ask me for a ride home. Here are some of the responses I give to some of the common questions.
                            I like it when they ask how they're supposed to get home. After I tell them to walk, they'll say "But it's 15 miles away", and I say "Try running, it's quicker".
                            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I dont have that problem too often, since my shift is done at 10 pm (bit early for being done gettin your drink on), but I have taken a few home just because at that time, BAC is over .25, which means the jail refuses them until they go to the ER, and that means I babysit there for 2 hours... no thanks.

Ride- 5-10 mins vs. 2 hours + for a P.I. arrest? Do the math..
                              And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4972 users online. 323 members and 4649 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X