Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who support the officers in the beating.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The media just loves controversy and love to put people on TV who will say provocative (often stupid) things. So they stick some self promoting headline hungry clown in front of the camera. And this clown knows they will not get edited out if they say something provocative. It gets the viewers fired up so they stay tuned. MSNBC, FoxNews, CNN, etc. are all trying to compete and one up each other.

It is all about ratings and money, and unfortunately, good balanced journalism has fallen off the radar.

So when you see these stories and hear some of these clowns, like Congresswoman Maxine Waters, try to keep this in mind and understand that the general public knows how important the police are to the stability to our society. And if only quietly, have a great deal of respect for LEOs. Except when they are being pulled over for speeding.

Besides, it is not all media. Look at how cops are portrayed on Primetime TV. There are more police dramas on TV then anything else. Could there be a better recuiter for the Police than Sonny Crocket?

Comment

Nittany Lion,

You’re right about the general public being supportive of police. However, the current situation and the reactions to it make the ticketed drivers of tomorrow much more likely to turn on police.

If this trend continues I foresee a day when someone figures out that provoking police is the equivalent to a winning lottery ticket. Not that a cop should have free reign to beat the h*ll out of people, but as far as I’m concerned when you get in a scuffle with an officer, as with anybody, you can expect to be smacked around a little. When did everybody in this world become so sissified that a slap in the face was like some supreme crime against humanity?

Comment

No... the majority of people NO DO support the police.

They THINK they do.. they like to SAY that they do..

It doesn't mean anything to "support" something, but not take any action on it.

I'd really like to show the same support for the community that they show us. All I would have to do is sit at home and share my opinions with my friends and family.
        -Sparky

Comment

I agree and I disagree

I don't buy that the current climate will some day soon result in a general backlash against the police. I think we often look at the present and say "things are worse then ever before". When the fact is, that things have gotten much better from how thing used to be. If the public was going to turn on the police, they would have (and some did) done it back in the 1950's and 1960's and earlier. Back in the days when the police were VERY corrupt and VERY brutal. The public may not like all everything that happens, but we have bigger things to worry about and one punch is not going to throw the country into chaos.

There is always going to be a certain level of distain for the police from the public, there always was and there always will be. Police enforce the laws and while the laws are there for our own good, it is only natural for us to rebel against anything that confines our actions. The cops are the ones stopping me from driving 90 mph on the freeway and driving 90 mph is fun!!! Ex. Kids love their parents, but they get angry when Mom and Dad tell them they can't do this or that.

If anyone here is waiting for the day when the police have the utmost love and respect from all of society...well, don't hold your breathe. But while people may not like cops ALL the time, I really believe the general public deep down understands what and why LEOs do what they do. And while they may not show it all the time, they do appreciate it.

I mean, when you get that speeding ticket, are you mad at the cop....or are you mad at yourself for being so stupid?

With regards to the cop hitting the kid. I don't think it was a supreme crime against humanity. Heck, UNLESS this is a pattern for this officer, I don't think he should even loose his job. But he should recieve some kind of punishment.

There was no need for the officer to punch the guy (punch, not slap, there is a difference). The officer had to do what he had to do during the initial altercation, but when the cuffs were on and backup was there, you can't loose your head and punch people.

This is why departments do background checks and psych tests. Policing is tough job that requires you keep your cool at all times. People who can't control their emotion very well, shouldn't be cops. We are all human, and emotions come out at times, but you got to have some level of control over them to be a police officer. Otherwise you risk your life and lives of others around you.

Of course, what the hell do I know.

Comment

A friend of mine and his partner at another department got jackpotted when a jail video showed them using some force on juvenile who was fighting the Officer's. My friend got suspended for thirty days for using the spit hood without first being trained in it's use and the other guy got fired for trying to tape the kids mouth shut.

This case went to the wall and a member of the deptartment leaked the tape to the media. Let's just say a certain boss thought it would help him get promoted. My buddy hired an attorney and had the tape enhanced and now that boss no longer works there. My buddy got his suspension withdrawn and the fired guy got his termination reduced to a 30 day suspension which was appropriate for his lack of judgement.

Here's the point: Nothing happened and no one was sued because the kid(victims) mother said her son had it coming and that she whould have whopped his *** herself if she had been there.

We had another case where a drug dealer got shot while trying to run over a couple of cops. Dad asked his drug dealer son if it was true. When the son said it was, Dad fired the civil rights attorney and had his kid plead guilty.

How often do you guys see stuff like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky:
              No... the majority of people NO DO support the police.

They THINK they do.. they like to SAY that they do..

It doesn't mean anything to "support" something, but not take any action on it.

I'd really like to show the same support for the community that they show us. All I would have to do is sit at home and share my opinions with my friends and family.
              That is a really good point, Sparky

But would you disagree that by being a relatively good citizen is the best way to support the police? That abiding by and respecting the laws is the same as abiding by and respecting the police, as the police officers job is for the most part to enforce the laws?

Comment

I just saw the mayor of Inglewood in a recorded speech. After a bunch of black citizens stormed the city council meeting he went off like he was the preacher in a southern baptist church. "In MY experiance and in MY training" *crowd saying "Uh Huh" "That's right" etc.* Mayor continues; This officer should be charged with assult with a deadly weapon. The weapon being the trunk of the cruiser" The whole time the crowd is agreeing with him. And getting more excited.

I'm sorry but WHAT THE F***? Assult with a deadly weapon?? That mayor's a frickin fruitloop and needs to be kicked out of office. How can ANY mayor of a city blatantly and biasedly pander to an audience like that and completely alienate his police force? Nevermind, I know how, and know why. I just don't like it or care to give his reasons any justification.
                On the wings of a dove
                Let's roll for justice
                Let's roll for truth
                Let's not let our children grow up
                Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

I am sure that if a video camera was shoved up my butt my entire career that I too would have been caught "doing something" that "looked bad". Yes, it is true that the actions of the puke were edited, however in this day and age, particularly after the King fiasco and particularly in KALIFORNIA any cop that punches a handcuffed guy is really using bad judgement. As much as we get crapped on, I still cannot support a shot at a handcuffed guy. That was even true 22 years ago when I started. We used to make the first hits count while they were fighting, then hauled them off in an ambulance.

Comment

I like how the mayor has already convicted the officer. Nothing like presumed guilty before a trial huh!

And very little of the public supports police. They give lip service to it until it comes time to pay their taxes or they are going get a deserved ticket. Then the police are overpaid, incompetent, rude, and abusive.

I would say only about 5% of the people who claim to support the police are in fact truly supportive. The rest just think they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni:

And very little of the public supports police. They give lip service to it until it comes time to pay their taxes or they are going get a deserved ticket. Then the police are overpaid, incompetent, rude, and abusive.
                      I completely agree w/ you on that point. If I said people support police I meant they support police until they are the one holding the ticket.

Comment

"But would you disagree that by being a relatively good citizen is the best way to support the police?"

No. I would not disagree with that statement, but only because you qualified it with the word "relatively".

Sure, you can be a "relatively good citizen" by simply respecting the law.

But respect for the law does not amount to the same thing as support for those that enforce it.

A person who merely minds their own business and obeys the law enjoys all of the protections afforded by law enforcement, but they don't make any contributions in support of it.

Where are our supporters when our detractors are marching in on meetings? Do you see our supporters marching in on meetings? Or letting these other groups know that they DO NOT represent the views of the whole community?

When they stage a press release, do you see any police supporters there representing their own views?

I am well aware of the racial problems between the police and minority communities.

I've worked plenty of homicides and sexual assualts and armed robberies for folks in minority communities just as plenty of other detectives just like me.

When the sh*t hits the fan, does anyone stand up and say,

"Hey! Quit talking like all cops are dirty. They were the only ones to help me when my little girl was killed!"

or

"Hey! Those cops you hate so much are the ones that caught the guy who raped my cousin!"

or

"Hey! Those cops are the ones who got those gangbangers off our street so I can let my little girl play in the yard again."

Does anyone say anything? No.

They sit there quitely.

I don't call that support. I call it getting left to dangle in the wind.

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Sparky ]
                        -Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Nittany Lion:

There was no need for the officer to punch the guy (punch, not slap, there is a difference). The officer had to do what he had to do during the initial altercation, but when the cuffs were on and backup was there, you can't loose your head and punch people.
                          Nittany Lion,

Apparently the way the officer punched or slammed the kid down is a defense tactic taught to police. Obviously punching some kid is a bad idea, for your own sake and for the sake of civility. However, current public reaction to these kinds of incidents is hypersensitive to say the least. As in, when an officer is punched (or slapped) it doesn’t make headline news, we accept it as part of that job. It seems like common sense to assume that when you attack or resist an officer force will be used against you. As far as a slap and a punch it only matters what degree of force was used. A punch does not necessarily imply greater force than a slap.

Comment

Sparky,
                            Again, I see your point. And I think what you are saying is correct. I suppose I never really considered it.

However, I still can't equate the lack of support with the public somehow being against the police. I completely agree that people can do ALOT more to support the police, but that doesn't mean they are against the police.

The difficulty, as i see it, is that you are not asking anyone to change anything when your cause is the status quo. It is easier to get active support when you are seeking to make a change. It seems to me that the public in general know the police are not going anywhere, so why do they have to take the time to write a letter or take vacation time from work to go to some rally....what purpose will be served? Is anything going to change? Why do I have inconvience my busy life, so a cop can feel better about his job? Besides, the protesters against the cops are often blown off by the public as radical nuts.

Again, This is NOT how I feel, but I am trying to get to why that support that you are talking about isn't there.

Originally posted by 555:

Apparently the way the officer punched or slammed the kid down is a defense tactic taught to police. Obviously punching some kid is a bad idea, for your own sake and for the sake of civility. However, current public reaction to these kinds of incidents is hypersensitive to say the least. As in, when an officer is punched (or slapped) it doesn’t make headline news, we accept it as part of that job. It seems like common sense to assume that when you attack or resist an officer force will be used against you. As far as a slap and a punch it only matters what degree of force was used. A punch does not necessarily imply greater force than a slap.
                            I am not sure where you got punching a guy with handcuffs on is a defensive tactic? In fact, many of the LEOs in this thread and the other one, seem to say it looks like the officer went too far.

I distinguished the difference between a punch and slap, because by calling what he did "a splap" seems to downplay what happened. I am not getting into the physics of why a punch is more damaging than a slap. This is not the point, just call it what it was.

I am going to say again what I have been saying all along, because I don't want to come off like I believe the officer should be hung in the town square. I wasn't there, but based on what you see in the tape (Which is what we are talking about), the officer went too far and he should be punished accordingly.

Someone wisely pointed out, that the suspect may have been grabbing the officers balls. Obiviously, that changes things. But based on what we know now and what you can see in the tape, it looks to me like the cop was in the wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Nittany Lion:
                              [QB]
                              Someone wisely pointed out, that the suspect may have been grabbing the officers balls. QB]
                              Nittany Lion,

This is what I was referring to when I said defense tactic. It was a tactic to remedy that issue.

Comment

Sparky, I can understand how you could have the feeling that the majority of people do not support law enforcement. I agree that it is very rare to see protest marches supporting LE. Do not the public support LE when they pay their taxes? Or vote in favor of increased funding of LE? Or vote for supposedly pro LE candidates? Or the people who contact their elected represenatives to encourage them to vote in favor of LE on various issues. HR218 for example. Or how about people that contribute to associations to provide vests for officers and take care of the families of fallen officers? In general the people that support LE tend to be rather conservative. They don't often join protests of any kind. That doesn't mean they do not support you.
                                Bill R

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3768 users online. 253 members and 3515 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X