X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n567
    replied
    Originally posted by Piper:

LOL...it make not be based on a Taurus, but the new models sure look like a suped up Taurus to me, with Jaguar printed in the back.
    My father and I commented on that when we saw one, with the kooky oval grill on the front, right? fugly!

I just read that the X-type (the budget one) is based on the Taurus Chassis, in the U.S at least.

Leave a comment:

• Piper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sig220Man:

While two Jaguar models were developed jointly with less pricey Fords, none are based on the Taurus.

LOL...it make not be based on a Taurus, but the new models sure look like a suped up Taurus to me, with Jaguar printed in the back.

Leave a comment:

• Sig220Man
    replied
    Originally posted by n567:
    'Cept, Jags are built on Ford Taurus Chassis now.
    While two Jaguar models were developed jointly with less pricey Fords, none are based on the Taurus.

The S-type shares its chassis and drivetrain with the Lincoln LS series.

The X-type shares a chassis with the European Ford Mondeo, but uses an all wheel drive system instead of the Mondeo's front wheel drive. I rented a Mondeo on a trip to the UK and I found it to be a very nice car in its own right.

Leave a comment:

• n567
    replied
    Originally posted by Soho bandit:
    You cheeky buggers......
    Just cos it's got a German plate on it and the company is now owned by BMW, the car you are discussing is of course a Mini Cooper. Notice the spelling. Not 'Das auto klein'. Go to blockbuster and rent the film 'The Italian Job' if you've never seen one before.
    Bloody German car my ***e.

Just like a Jaguar is British? Or a Rolls Royce?

'Cept, Jags are built on Ford Taurus Chassis now, and Rolls Royce use BMW engines...

I dunno... Not all that British anymore, if ya ask me. It may have British heritage, but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur
    replied
    I've only seen a few on the streets, but I do like them. I liked the old version, too, especially the Mini-Cooper "S". To my eyes, the vehicles bear little more than a family resemblance. Side by side, the differences in size and bulk would be clearly evident.

To claim more than a British heritage for the modern Mini is a stretch, I think. Lacking BMW's engineering, design, and marketing expertise, and of course, their acquisitions, money, and production facilities, the Mini would still be just a fond memory in the UK. Brand identity sure isn't what it used to be, even here in the USA. A sense of nationalistic pride in the original design and inspiration is well founded, though.

The famous Cobra of the 60's was actually just another British car, the AC Ace, with a few significant modifications. The cheekiness of Mr. Shelby, no doubt, caused him to label it a Ford.

I considered the purchase of a BMW Mini but was disappointed by the current engine option (a Chrysler product, BTW). I believe an upgrade is planned. Something from BMW's M-Technic works would be nice. The S model in a solid dark color, clad with a set of Panasport wheels, would be, for me, a fine machine.

Leave a comment:

• Urban Jedi
    replied
    British through and through, that car.

I've only just recovered from reading that post referring to the Mini as 'German'. German?????? AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Leave a comment:

• klar
    replied
    I just think it looks totally ridiculous. I know I will never own one of these LOL

Klar

Leave a comment:

• SB
    replied
    You cheeky buggers......
    Just cos it's got a German plate on it and the company is now owned by BMW, the car you are discussing is of course a Mini Cooper. Notice the spelling. Not 'Das auto klein'. Go to blockbuster and rent the film 'The Italian Job' if you've never seen one before.
    Bloody German car my ***e.

Leave a comment:

• n567
    replied
    I'd take it, quality german car, nice, small... mmmmmmm. God, it beats the hell out of the PT doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• KCadet
    replied
    Looks good now, but anything can turn ugly if you see it enough.

Leave a comment:

• PC Instructor
    started a topic The new Mini

The new Mini

Cute? Ugly?

I like em! Thinking of getting one as a daily driver once the "PT Cruiser syndrome" dies down (zero availability, price gouging)

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6450 users online. 368 members and 6082 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X